PDA

View Full Version : White Rice or Brown Rice

Lionheart
December 3rd, 2008, 11:34
Hey guys,

In Japan and China, is there village rice 'brown' or 'white'?

They say the best rice is brown rice, as its not bleached or what ever they do to it to preserve it and treat it. But what color is it in these oriental countries? Every movie I have seen, their rice is usually bright white. Can it actually be brown?

Just one of those things I have always wondered.....

Bill

stiz
December 3rd, 2008, 12:15
from what i can poeple tend to eat white rice over there, it was/is associated with poverty and wartime shortages and used to be eaten rarely except as a cure for constipation. Nowadays its mostly white rice because its cheaper than the brown stuff. I also think brown rice goes off quicker than white rice, but not sure on that bit.

You Can also bet your uncle the rice out there eaten by the worker (so to speak) is totally changed in the transportation over to us in the west :kilroy:

IVANOW
December 3rd, 2008, 14:28
I think the Spainish Yellow Rice is the best of the 3 .

JoeW
December 3rd, 2008, 15:46
I prefer New Orleans "Dirty Rice" with Garlic and Butter, lots O' butter.
Maybe throw a chop in there too.

Willy
December 3rd, 2008, 16:00
Heck, my Mom's folks came up from Louisiana, I like all kinds of rice.

Henry
December 3rd, 2008, 16:00
I dont know the answer
but i prefer white rice
to start with
all other rices spanish, dirty, safron
start as white rice i just do not like the nutty taste of brown
now wild rice is a great add on to strogenof
H

cheezyflier
December 3rd, 2008, 16:05
most westerners buy the long grain rice (uncle ben's or minute rice) because it's all they know. i never cared much for rice until i started eating the short grain (sticky rice) that everyone eats in asia. it's far better.
my wife is from osaka japan, and she says everyone back home eats white rice.

OBIO
December 3rd, 2008, 16:06
I don't know the answer either....but I prefer brown rice over white any day of the week. And beyond brown rice, there is black rice which I like even better...but that stuff is pricey!

OBIO

Henry
December 3rd, 2008, 16:17
most westerners buy the long grain rice (uncle ben's or minute rice) because it's all they know. i never cared much for rice until i started eating the short grain (sticky rice) that everyone eats in asia. it's far better.
my wife is from osaka japan, and she says everyone back home eats white rice.
isnt short grain for puddings?
yup its mushy
i use basmati rice mostly
soak it in water for a few hours before cooking
keeps it separate
H

MCDesigns
December 3rd, 2008, 18:00
I LOVE rice! I eat rice and grilled fish/chicken probably every other day, yummy!

Here are some great recipes

http://www.recipezaar.com/browse/top/105/92

MyassisDragon
December 3rd, 2008, 18:38
My favorites over the past few years have been Brown rice, Long Grain & Wild rice, Brown Basmati rice and a Multi-grain blend with roasted pecan & garlic.

Cazzie
December 3rd, 2008, 18:49
I like a mixed bag of brown, long-grain, and wild rice to any white rice. But I gotta have my rice at least three nights a week. My favorite to fix with BBQ pork is red beans and rice in a Cajun cocktail of spices and seasoning with cornbread on the side. I also like wild rice cooked in mushroom sauce with two big fillets of catfish, sprinkled with Cajun seasoning of course. Prepared with fresh community market string beans and good fattening yeast rolls.

Tako_Kichi
December 3rd, 2008, 18:52
I'm with Henry on the Basmati rice. I love the stuff as it actually has a flavour (unlike long grain rice) and I can't have a curry without it. :icon_lol:

It's great for rice puddings too.

Lionheart
December 3rd, 2008, 19:51
I like a mixed bag of brown, long-grain, and wild rice to any white rice. But I gotta have my rice at least three nights a week. My favorite to fix with BBQ pork is red beans and rice in a Cajun cocktail of spices and seasoning with cornbread on the side. I also like wild rice cooked in mushroom sauce with two big fillets of catfish, sprinkled with Cajun seasoning of course. Prepared with fresh community market string beans and good fattening yeast rolls.

Dang Cazz! You're going to cause a stomach implosion! Sounds pretty good!

So, white rice is the actual Oriental rice then. Brown rice must be a type of rice. I had thought that white rice was a treated brown rice.

I'll have to try some Basmati. I am a rice freak myself. Sometimes I'll make some for lunch, mixing in some low fat yogurt, garlic, pepper, more garlic, a sprinkle of Parmesean cheese powder, and sometimes a bit of blue cheese dressing. Stir that up and its goooooooood.... (For me anyways, lol).

I almost got a new rice cooker tonight. Miss my old one. Always made the best rice. Jasmin rice in the rice cooker was the best.... Seems like the rice cooker was the only thing that could cook the Jasmin rice just right.

Bill

Piglet
December 3rd, 2008, 22:35
I like Uncle Benpuppy's Perverted Rice!:costumes:

OBIO
December 3rd, 2008, 23:24
I like Uncle Benpuppy's Perverted Rice!:costumes:

Dang it Piglet...you nearly made me spit lemonade into my keyboard with that line.

OBIO

deKoven
December 4th, 2008, 03:15
Dang Cazz! You're going to cause a stomach implosion! Sounds pretty good!

So, white rice is the actual Oriental rice then. Brown rice must be a type of rice. I had thought that white rice was a treated brown rice.

I'll have to try some Basmati. I am a rice freak myself. Sometimes I'll make some for lunch, mixing in some low fat yogurt, garlic, pepper, more garlic, a sprinkle of Parmesean cheese powder, and sometimes a bit of blue cheese dressing. Stir that up and its goooooooood.... (For me anyways, lol).

I almost got a new rice cooker tonight. Miss my old one. Always made the best rice. Jasmin rice in the rice cooker was the best.... Seems like the rice cooker was the only thing that could cook the Jasmin rice just right.

Bill

Sorry, brown rice is the "base"; white rice is just brown rice that's been dehulled. You want good rice, try Jasmine. For my money it's the best for making dishes like fried rice and just plain rice.

If you're gonna get a rice cooker then get a Zojirushi (I only hope I spelled it right.) They're the best IMHO.

That recipe sounds like something I might whomp up; I'm gonna try it. But you left out the hot sauce. :costumes:

jmig
December 4th, 2008, 03:52
I am Cajun and I know rice. :costumes:

We use to eat white but now prefer brown. It is healthier and I think it tastes better.

cheezyflier
December 4th, 2008, 07:10
isnt short grain for puddings?
yup its mushy

it is softer than the long grain rice, but i pull up short of describing it as "mushy" if it's prepared correctly. we eat rice every day in our house. before i came here i never woulda guessed that would be come the truth :costumes:

If you're gonna get a rice cooker then get a Zojirushi (I only hope I spelled it right.) They're the best IMHO.

no question about it. we have one that is sooo old, i can't believe it still works! i wanted to replace it but the wife won't allow it. anytime anyone knocks japanese goods when my wife is around, she always mentions the rice cooker, and her 25 year old blow dryer. i have tried to replace both of them but she won't allow it.

GT182
December 4th, 2008, 07:21
I love the brown perverted rice too Piglet. All kinds of things you can do with it. :costumes:

White rice is for those that tend to write things on it. That's why it's call rice paper. And it's best used for rice cakes as in the Quaker brand. Add peanut butter and it a nice light snack. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/GT182/yum.gif

pointy31
December 4th, 2008, 16:49
Here in southern Louisiana, rice is a way of life. White beans, red beans, black-eyed peas, etc over rice are common dishes. Gumbos, stews are also ladeled over rice. We know brown rice is heathier than white rice, but.....gimme a big bowl of white rice smothered with red beans and sausage...:ernae:

http://www.cajun-shop.com/recipes-louisiana-red-beans-and-rice.htm

Willy
December 4th, 2008, 17:10
Ah Pointy! Red Beans and Rice? You done made me hungry!! :d

pointy31
December 4th, 2008, 17:11
Ha, mais Willy, I kin sen you some yeah...:costumes:

Willy
December 4th, 2008, 17:16
Thanks for the offer, but I know my way to the kitchen! :costumes:

Kofschip
December 4th, 2008, 17:26
I prefer Nasi Goreng with a nice cool glass of beer to cool off the hot peppers.:redfire::ichile::greenf: It is Indonesian Fried Rice, made with short white rice. I like another type of rice too, that is "Forbidden Rice" and it comes from China. It is deep purple in color and I like it with fish, it has a fragrant aroma and a deep nutty taste. Being somewhat of an amateur cook of hot and spicy oriental dishes, I have not run into any dishes made with unbleached rice and my friendly Asian Market does not carry it either. I have used Uncle Ben's, but I prefer short white rice for my fried rice dishes as well as plain rice dishes. :wavey:

Hey Pointy31, the last time Iused the quote: Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff...:sleep: , the lady told me that this rule is followed if you don't want to get pregnant.

GT182
December 4th, 2008, 17:55
Anyone been stuck with Rice a Roni like I've been for that past couple of years? Yuck!

Kofschip
December 5th, 2008, 18:33
Anyone been stuck with Rice a Roni like I've been for that past couple of years? Yuck!

I tried it once......:barf:

Lionheart
December 5th, 2008, 19:43
Here in southern Louisiana, rice is a way of life. White beans, red beans, black-eyed peas, etc over rice are common dishes. Gumbos, stews are also ladeled over rice. We know brown rice is heathier than white rice, but.....gimme a big bowl of white rice smothered with red beans and sausage...:ernae:

http://www.cajun-shop.com/recipes-louisiana-red-beans-and-rice.htm

Hooooooooooo now.... That there looks all sorts ah good all ovah.

Dad would take a day to simmer his black-eye-pea recipe. Bacon, buttah, green peppahs... MMMMM mmmmmmmmmmmm......

Grits were just as good..

Those were the days...

Bill

EDIT: There was a Chinese Cajun/Mexican restaurant here, a small hole in the wall sort of place, that was THE BEST!!! I think it was called Chino-Bandito's. They had the hottest, spiciest food you ever had. Their blackened beans were awesome. Their hot an spicy chicken though made you cry, and your mouth and tonque was in PAIN baby... Have two glasses of water handy when tackling their spicy chicken rice bowl with a side of black beans...

HOOOOOOOOOOO hooooooooooooooo.... :eek:

<---- we the test drivers at Land Rover / Range Rover were told about this place by the Jaguar drivers, lol... Excellent choice, and very addictive. AzFlyBoy, if you read this, its at Greenway and 19th Ave by the Circle K. I havent been there in several years though, so I dont know if its still open.. arrgh....

cheezyflier
December 6th, 2008, 06:44

dude! go down kirkwood hwy into elsmere. a few blocks from the firehouse on the same side is a korean grocery. they have good rice there, and they are nice people.

FengZ
December 6th, 2008, 07:16
what a weird topic! haha...

well, i'm in beijing right now for work, and i haven't seen brown rice served in any restaurant :) Plus i've spent a lot of time in all the counties around here including Singapore, Japan, Vietnam, Philippines and Korea. Thus far, I havent even seen brown rice in any of these countries either.

-feng

Lionheart
December 6th, 2008, 09:39
Thanks Feng,

I guess that anseres that then...

Travel safe and take alot of pictures. :ernae:

Bill

rhumbaflappy
December 6th, 2008, 09:42
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_rice

pointy31
December 6th, 2008, 12:59