PDA

View Full Version : Make My Day!

Pen32Win
March 13th, 2011, 17:13
It's been a productive weekend and I've about finish the LOD_100 of the Flakvierling 38. Now it's time to start creating the Lower LOD's, the Early War and DAK Versions.

A little teaser.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/misc/pencil.png

Seagull V
March 13th, 2011, 20:50
Hello Pen32Win

Looking awesome !!!!!

I think Clint Eastwood will need to upgrade from .44 Magnum to at least 6 x .50 cal & 6 x 5inch FFAR for this one. :ernae:

Captain Kurt
March 13th, 2011, 21:13
Just in time for the invasion of France and Germany. You can bet I will be using these around airfields and supply depots in the 354th FG campaign when they switch to ground support missions after Normandy.
Thanks Pen!

Pen32Win
March 13th, 2011, 23:01
Thanks Gents;

The LOD_100 is finished and boy do I have a chore ahead of me to get this one in fighting shape. With the 3 extra guns, 14 ready ammo storage slots, extra seats, crew, etc. she's a hefty 6600+ polys. I'm going to have to swing a big axe going down the LOD Ladder. The FlaK38 topped out at just over 4300. Fortunatly there's a lot of little detail stuff and polys that can go pretty quick. One's that can only be seen up close. The high seating position of the crew also forced me to leave a lot of underside poly's that I'd normally delete. By LOD_60 (a couple of hundred meters) it should be far enough out that you can't get low enough to see under it.

Ghostrider
March 14th, 2011, 06:51
Beautiful work as always, Pen!

With your recent work, and this B-17 business, I am slowly but surely getting sucked into the ETO. :jump: After 10 years of strictly PTO, my Pacific Theater is just about dialed in.:ernae:

You guys would be proud of me - yesterday I downloaded my first FW-190, BF-109, and ME-262, and went after some B-17 formations over China.

This is how it begins - is this what happened to you, Pen? "I'll just download a few ETO aircraft. I can stop any time I want to." I can see it now - next, it'll be ETO scenery and airfields, more A/C, skins, vehicles and ships...

Pen32Win
March 14th, 2011, 11:40
Actually GR, I started out in the ETO. A Long Time Ago........ It's called CFS1.... My first major project was with Philippe Burnage and Paul Harmon. We put together an Aircraft/Scenery/Typhoon & Tempest Mini Campaign called "A Bridge Too Far", it's update and then a quick follow up "A Bridge Too Far - Mosquitoes Over Willems Barracks". I've always loved the Tiffie, Mossie and Tempie. After that I did a neat little D-Day tribute to the Glider Pilot Regiment about the Caen Canal Bridge assault. I think my last big one in CFS1 was "The Jabo Hunters" another Typhoon Mini Canpaign. So you might say I've got some pretty deep roots in the ETO.

With CFS2 came my move to the PTO. I did give the ETO in CFS2 a go a number of years ago but it just didn't work right. The scenery was no were near as well developed as it is now. If you're gonna do ETO, do yourself a very, very big favor. Do a new install. Just rename your old install CFS2 PTO and then get Rami's ETO installation guide and follow it. It will save you a lot of headaches.

Ghostrider
March 14th, 2011, 11:53
Actually GR, I started out in the ETO. A Long Time Ago........ It's called CFS1....
With CFS2 came my move to the PTO. I did give the ETO in CFS2 a go a number of years ago but it just didn't work right. The scenery was no were near as well developed as it is now. If you're gonna do ETO, do yourself a very, very big favor. Do a new install. Just rename your old install CFS2 PTO and then get Rami's ETO installation guide and follow it. It will save you a lot of headaches.

I remember the CFS1 days well! Still have my original CD - And the PTO add-ons that finally came around.

Thanks for the advice - I think I'll do what you said, and do a new install. I have an unusual CFS2 setup - 1 install with hundreds of A/C, ships, and airfields, all PTO. They all seem to work fine together in free flight, QC, single and campaign missions, all with no database errors!? But I'm not complaining. The only thing I do is use Morton's CFS2 Utility to select early or late war USAAF or USN/USMC setups for mission builder. The kicker? This is on an dual-boot Intel Mac.

Ravenna
March 14th, 2011, 16:11
Looking great Pen. I am looking forward to using these. Thanks so much. BTW, I've just ordered copies of George Bradford's 2 books of plans for early war AFVs-one for German vehicles and one for other Axis and Allied vehicles. If you are looking for plans let me know and I can email scans to you when these arrive.

Jagdflieger
March 14th, 2011, 17:18
So much for low altitude survivability over the Axis countries. What's a fighter pilot to do???

Rami
March 14th, 2011, 19:56
So much for low altitude survivability over the Axis countries. What's a fighter pilot to do???

That's what WEP / Overboost is for. :d Otherwise, duck and pray! Remember, there are no atheists flying Blenheims, Battles, or Whitleys.

Pen32Win
March 15th, 2011, 14:59
The answer to that question Jagd is "Don't fly in a straight line in a Combat Zone." LOL

Rav, Remind me of that at the end of July, Please. I made good progress again last night but now have to slow down a bit. We're getting close to the end of Comanchero Year so I have a Banquet to put together and Pony Express is about to go into full blast. By the end of July I should have all of the base Gun Objects done and be ready to make them mobile. Also, I ended up adding one other gun to my list, the FlaK 18/36/37 88mm. Why? The one that is out is about 4x too big. Simple as that. The only other major German AA types remaining would be the 105mm FlaK38, 128mm FlaK 40 and 150mm FlaK39. Maybe some day. I'm not going to do the 50mm FlaK 41, less than 300 were ever produced, less than that saw service and they're just plain ugly to boot. LOL

By the time I'm finished with my current list I'll be ready for something new like those AFV's.

Seagull V
March 16th, 2011, 02:44
Hello Pen32Win

Almost at the bottom of the list is the US Army Technical manual for the 88, as well as some other TM's. You need to be a member for download access.

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/technical/ww2-mics-vehicles-7129.html