PDA

View Full Version : Airfield Information Books, version 2.0

IanP
September 26th, 2008, 15:27
Before the world cascaded around our ears, someone posted that they had access to a "Military Airfields of Britain" book, to which I added that I had access to "Flying Units of the RAF" and "RAF Squadrons"... In case anyone is interested, after stopping off at Ian Allen on the way home, and with the boss's monthly income in our account, I added two more books to that:

Military Airfields of Britain: Wales and West Midlands and Northern Home Counties.

As was posted before, if anyone needs details from these books, shout.

I do remember that Helldiver asked for information about an airfield in North East Anglia - the East Anglia book in the series only had about six, seven pages on Foulsham, HD - what type of information were you after?

Ian P.

jdhaenens
September 26th, 2008, 15:33
Ian,

I was after info on RAF Oban seaplane base. Specifically the layout. There were different squadrons in different bays/inlets one at Gavanan Sands, one across from Oban on Kerrera. TIA.

IanP
September 26th, 2008, 15:37
That's up in Scotland, Jim. Left coast, just inside the island of Mull. I don't know if they have a Scotland book out yet - according to the West Midlands one's inside front cover, Scotland and Northern Ireland are "expected 2008"... I'll take a look next week, when I'm back in Birmingham though.

Ian P.

jdhaenens
September 26th, 2008, 15:41
Thanks. I guess I need to learn my midlands from my highlands:redf:

Helldiver
September 26th, 2008, 18:52
On a previous thread that somehow vaporized I wanted to know if there was anything on the airfields of southeastern part of Great Britain, in particular, Foulsham in Norfolk

TimA
September 26th, 2008, 23:03
I'd be interested in anything you have on either Enstone or Moreton-in-Marsh. (both North Oxon) :)

IanP
September 27th, 2008, 04:37
TimA: Enstone has a coupe of pages in the Northern Home Counties book - basically saying that it was a sattelite of Moreton in Marsh... Yet it doesn't have Moreton itself.

Helldiver: Foulsham is in North East Anglia - Norfolk to be precise (near Little Snoring, which is very much on my list to put back into FS! :d)

There are a few pages of information on it in the East Anglia book, which I don't have (yet - these books are £16 a shot). What type of information are you after?

Edited to add: I have a bunch of information on Foulsham in both the big hardbacks - it was a bomber base, primarily operating Mitchell IIs and Halifaxes. Let me know the kind of information you want and I'll see what I can get you.

Ian P.

NSS
September 27th, 2008, 11:18
I also have the entire Action Stations series. Great reads and loads of info..

stiz
September 27th, 2008, 11:25
someone posted that they had access to a "Military Airfields of Britain" book

That would be me :)

"Military Airfileds Of Britain 'Norhtern England'" covers Co. Durham, Cumbria, Isle of Man, Lancashire, Merseyside, Manchester, Northumberland, Tyne & Wear and Yorkshire, and if anyone wants scans of the airfiled planes then give a holler, i only have it for 2 weeks! :)

TimA
September 28th, 2008, 00:58
TimA: Enstone has a coupe of pages in the Northern Home Counties book - basically saying that it was a sattelite of Moreton in Marsh... Yet it doesn't have Moreton itself.

That's pretty much all anyone knows about Enstone -- there are no records, anywhere on the web (short of going to Hendon and mounting an official search of the Records Office!).

Moreton-in-Marsh has quite a lot of detail known (there's a 'Wellington museum' in the town, and they have a good web site). The irony is, Moreton closed down and became a fire service training facility, but Enstone has been continuously used for aviation since it opened!

In the 1970s, it had full night lighting and an instrument approach, but these were decommissioned after they were nicked by pikeys!