PDA

View Full Version : Insured to the max

OBIO
March 12th, 2011, 23:51
We have renters insurance. $24 a month gives up coverage up to $75,000 of personal property loss due to fire, theft, vandalism, volcano activity, hail, wind, ice, snow, power surges, lightning strikes, earthquake damage and a bunch more stuff. No coverage for flood, acts of war or terrorism, accidental or intentional discharge of nuclear or atomic weapons or alien invasion. Plus a $100,000 personal liability coverage....if we get sued for something, the insurance will provide legal representation and cover a settlement up to 100 grand. Plus medical coverage for other people...say our dog bites someone and they need stitches or something...not likely as our dogs are 12 pounds and 8 pounds, are not nippers or biters, love people like crazy...the most damage they can do is chew your shoe laces to bits and maybe pee on your leg.

Well, for an additional $14 a year, we now have a special computer rider. This rider covers our computers against.....hardware failure, software failure, accidental deletion of files, accidental deletion of software.

Our systems were already covered under the normal coverage against basically everything but flood, acts of war or terrorism, intentional or accidental discharge of nuclear or atomic weapons and alien invasion. So we really didn't need the special computer rider, but for an extra dollar a month what the heck. I sleep better at night knowing that our puters are well insured...or maybe it's the new 350 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets, pillow cases and bed spread/coverlet thingie and the new memory foam mattress topper and quilted mattress cover.

Plus, we bought new surge protectors that came with insurance (secondary to any home owners or renters insurance) that will cover up to $150,000 worth of equipment plugged into them that is damaged or destroyed by power surges, power spikes and direct lightning strikes while that equipment is plugged into those surge protectors. Just another layer of protection that lets me worry less.

OBIO

Seagull V
March 13th, 2011, 03:19
It also pays to read and understand the fine print. Problem with insurance companies in Australia as to what is flood, what is storm, and what is river rising. Some companies seem to cover the intent of the insurance, while others only cover whats in the fine print with what they view is the correct understanding of the words/terms. Then if you are in a high risk area they might refuse to insure you. Make sure you are getting value for your money.

wombat666
March 13th, 2011, 05:52
What Seagull V (or should that be 'Shagbat'?:ernae:) said.
Flood v Water Damage v Storm v Cyclone claims are a minefield out here, and maybe you need to look for a Tsumai clause into the bargain.
I detest Insurance Companies myself, they are in business to make money, not to help people in times of disaster.
:censored:

Toastmaker
March 13th, 2011, 07:21
What Seagull V (or should that be 'Shagbat'?:ernae:) said.
Flood v Water Damage v Storm v Cyclone claims are a minefield out here, and maybe you need to look for a Tsumai clause into the bargain.
I detest Insurance Companies myself, they are in business to make money, not to help people in times of disaster.
:censored:

That's probably because they are business entities - not charities.

GT182
March 13th, 2011, 16:57
Tim, I'm on my way out to your house. I need a new Jeep. LOL

wombat666
March 13th, 2011, 23:01
I hear you Toastie, perhaps your quote should be the first line in their advertising and policy spiels!
:173go1:

Toastmaker
March 14th, 2011, 10:27
That might be a little too much "truth in advertising". . .

:icon_lol:

Tracon
March 14th, 2011, 18:13
So, did SOH buy those tablet PC's? WE WANT PICS... or it didn't happen. (pun there, relax)