PDA

View Full Version : OT: but lets keep the Franklins in our prayers....

skyhawka4m
March 12th, 2011, 21:01
Word is they are in critical condition with 60 to 70 percent burns. Very sad indeed.

this is not easy to watch.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suh_Lu3Zvgk

Kiwikat
March 12th, 2011, 21:20
Instantly brings back memories of the P-51 accident at EAA... :(

I will never ever forget that feeling.

I hope the Franklins recover from this terrible accident. It is such a shame that his father died. He had the most enjoyable act I've seen.

hews500d
March 13th, 2011, 08:59
I can't watch that without feeling sick. Praying they make a full recovery.

Darrell

Tienmac
March 13th, 2011, 09:37
I hope they both recover from this accident. I was at the airshow in 2005 when their fathers were killed.

W. Bleddyn
March 13th, 2011, 09:38
I already read about it, no interest in watching it personally but thanks for the post.

Here's hoping they both recover.

Bomber_12th
March 13th, 2011, 10:14
Not much to add, other than my own shock upon hearing this horrible news. I'm hoping and praying for a full recovery for the both of them. The following message was posted on Facebook today by Matt Younkin, with some updates since the original information was posted:

"All, Please forward this letter on to who ever you see fit... Good morning all. Let me first express on behalf of Amanda, Kyle, Myself and both of our families so many thanks for all of your prayers and well wishes. We are all so fortunate to have s...uch a wonderful support network in all of you. We are still waiting for updates and it could be many hours, days, or weeks before we know exactly how the recovery process will play out between Amanda and Kyle. I can however report that Kyle was not injured and or burned as badly as reported earlier by the media and is expected to make a full and rapid recovery. I can also say that the updates we are receiving on Amanda are increasingly optimistic and though she has a long road of recovery ahead of her, the doctors are giving us the impression that things are not as bad as first reported and her chances for a full recovery are getting better not worse. The first 24 hours will set the tone for the story ahead. I also have to extend a very sincere thanks to my brother-in-law Kyle who I strongly credit for the fact that my little sister is still with us. Having witnessed the accident and being on of the first on the scene, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that he made no less than five quick decisions in the air and on the ground that gave her a second chance at life!! When the engine quit, Amanda was on the top wing in the rack. Kyle continued to fly the airplane in a straight and level fashion as long as he could to give Amanda every opportunity to unstrap and get into the front cockpit where she would have the best chance in the event of a hard landing. He also resisted the tendency to turn for the pavement which typically induces a fatal stall/spin situation. He avoided a landing in the pyro field which could have proven to be fatal, and faced with the only other option of land in mesquite woods, Kyle landed into the wind drastically reducing the forward speed at impact. Upon reaching the scene, I noticed that he set the airplane down in the only Waco sized piece of ground in that dense woods that didn't have tall trees in it. Kyle sustained the majority of his burns trying to pull his wife from the wreckage and when his efforts produced no results, he stayed in the cockpit and transmitted a repeating distress call about the post impact fire that had started. I honestly believe this motivated the rapid responders to press through the brush and douse the airplane at a more rapid rate which meant the split second difference that saved Amanda, who was still in the plane. The first responders on the scene did an excellent job of responding to the situation in a rapid manner. Having a professional air boss teamed up with professional CFR personnel made a world of difference that could be the single most important factor that both Amanda and Kyle are still with us. Please continue to send your thoughts and prayers this direction because we sincerely believe they are helping. I will pass updates along as I receive them. Sincerely Matt"
By: Younkin Airshows

We just lost a great warbird owner/pilot, Danny Summers, and his wife, early last week when their Skyraider went down on a flight back to their home in Idaho - a crash which is still under investigation at this time.

icarus
March 14th, 2011, 18:18
terrible, they were also unlucky to land where was also difficult to arrive for trucks, ambulance, etc....probably minutes that could avoid big burns.

robert41
March 14th, 2011, 20:01
Thanks for the update B12.