PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop Sandy Bridge processors enough performance for FSX?

BushAV8R
March 12th, 2011, 06:56
Hi,

I am thinking about buying a laptop instead of a desktop PC, and I would like to buy a laptop with the new Sandy Bridge processor i7-2630QM or i7-2720QM, with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M video card, 8GB of DDR3 system memory and and a 500GB 7,200rpm hard drive. Screen is 15.6'', but I could hook it up to my 22'' screen as well.

Since I am doing development, it would be good if I can take my dev machine with me if I need to, but also need a machine with enough performance.

Will I be happy with FSX using such a laptop, or is it not worth it really?

Help would be great.

-Pete

txnetcop
March 12th, 2011, 08:26
Hi,

I am thinking about buying a laptop instead of a desktop PC, and I would like to buy a laptop with the new Sandy Bridge processor i7-2630QM or i7-2720QM, with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M video card, 8GB of DDR3 system memory and and a 500GB 7,200rpm hard drive. Screen is 15.6'', but I could hook it up to my 22'' screen as well.

Since I am doing development, it would be good if I can take my dev machine with me if I need to, but also need a machine with enough performance.

Will I be happy with FSX using such a laptop, or is it not worth it really?

Help would be great.

-Pete

With 64 bit win 7 PRO or ulitmate, as long as your settings are reasonable..med high to high(you can set your global texture resolution all the way up to full, detail radius to large, mesh resolution to 5, mesh complexity to 70-80, texture resolution 15, scenery complexity dense, autogen to dense ) you should be able to thoroughly enjoy your laptop and FSX. The 460M combined with the i7 2600-2700 CPU is excellent! Make sure your laptop has a very high rating as that power supply will be more than adequate that way.
Ted

kilo delta
March 12th, 2011, 08:39
The biggest problem that I've encountered with gaming on a laptop is heat build up. Notebooks are generally very difficult to keep cool due to the components being in a very small form factor and only utilising small fans to regulate cooling. Not a problem if you tend to fly short/medium haul....but for long sessions I'd recommend a decent 3rd party cooling solution.

BushAV8R
March 12th, 2011, 12:43
Thanks a lot and it looks like as if Laptop CPUs are getting there.

The two other sims I will use beside FSX are X-Plane 10 and IL-2 Cliffs of Dover, when they are out. I assume I should be able to run these on a satifying level as well, right?

txnetcop
March 12th, 2011, 15:32
Thanks a lot and it looks like as if Laptop CPUs are getting there.

The two other sims I will use beside FSX are X-Plane 10 and IL-2 Cliffs of Dover, when they are out. I assume I should be able to run these on a satifying level as well, right?

Can't say for sure about X-Plane 10 but I would imagine just like FSX just adjust your settings accordingly.

jimjones
April 11th, 2011, 13:00
Considering getting a similar rig to take on an 8 week vacation, an ASUS G73SW-A1.
Thanks Ted for your comments. Wondering though why Win 7 64 PRO. What is needed that the home premium version does not provide to run FSX.

txnetcop
April 13th, 2011, 02:29
Here you go Jim:
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/Windows7/Windows_7_Which_Version.html. If you should need licensed XP mode for some of your older programs Home Premium will not let you do it directly so you would have to use virtutalization.

What is virtualization?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_machine

Hope this helps Jim
Ted

jimjones
April 13th, 2011, 09:49
Thanks, Ted, for the informative links. If I understand correctly, FSX may work in Win7 64bit Home Premium providing there are no XP components in FSX or addons. And best to use the Pro version if I have other XP programs to be moved and run in Win 7 64 bit environment.

txnetcop
April 13th, 2011, 11:06
Honestly I have yet to hear it has affected FSX maybe someone else can answer that. I have Ultimate. You can always get around any limitations of Home Premium by setting up a dual boot.

AndyE1976
April 16th, 2011, 10:58
FSX doesn't need to run in compatibility mode, so it will be fine in W7 home premium. It will change the interface to 'basic' if you're using the Aero interface, but that's about it.