PDA

View Full Version : Strange problem

Hern07
March 11th, 2011, 21:11
A few months ago during a session I lost most of my stock ac. Ultimately I unistalled and then reinstalled XFS( Gold edition including Accelerator,) still could not restore the lost ac. Eventually I reformated my computer and reloaded Windows 7. Now, not only do I still have missing ac, but I cannot add new ones. I have 64bit Windows7. The installation disks do not seem to be damaged.
The only solution I can see is to buy a new computer, does anybody have any ideas before I do that?

txnetcop
March 12th, 2011, 03:01
Have you tried erasing the fsx.cfg our of your documents and settings registry? Let FSX make a new cfg file and see if that solves your problem.

If that doesn't work I had a similar experience a long while back. I had loaded some port-overs from FS9 that did the same thing to my FSX. What I did was remove them all. Then uninstall FSX cleaning out the registry as well then reinstall FSX and each aircraft one by one, get out of FSX and come back in and fly that one aircraft I just loaded until I eliminated the culprit.
Ted

Hern07
March 20th, 2011, 10:41
Thanks, sorry it took me a while to get back to you. I'm not even sure I have "documents and settings." If so, I can't find it. I used the search feature in Windows 7 (usually pretty good) and I can't find that or fsx.cfg. I completely reformatted my computer (again) reinstalled windows and reinstalled fsx before I did anything else. Nothing. Every little bit I know about computers and troubleshooting tells me this is impossible. Maybe I ought to be researching curses. I'm going to start saving for a new computer. My wife is not amused about buying a new (and better) computer so I can play "some d..n game." :toilet:

Butcherbird17
March 20th, 2011, 13:13
To find the fsx.cfg you need to have show hidden files and folders checked. Open Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer), hit your ALT key to open the tool bar, click on Tools then Folder options,
click on the view tab, then check "show hidden files, folders and drives", click apply.
The cfg will be located here:

C:\Users\YOUR NAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Joe

AndyE1976
March 21st, 2011, 07:51
Could you post a screenshot of your 'select aircraft' screen? That might give us a clue.

As you say you've reformatted and installed the O/S and FSX from scratch then it can't be an FSX.cfg issue as you haven't corrupted anything (unless you've also added add-on aircraft back).

If you have added add-on aircraft then I would try a clean FSX install, run FSX after installing the base app and also after installing acceleration and check whether you have aircraft available - that will help determine when you lose them or whether they ever get installed.

Also go to the C:\program files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Simobjects\Airplanes folder and check that you have things in there and also verify the security settings on the main flight simulator X folder.

Finally the only other suggestion I can think of is to right click the MS Flight simulator icon and select 'Run as administrator', which should eliminate any security issues.