PDA

View Full Version : reality xp

Daveroo
March 11th, 2011, 19:48
do any of you use the reality xp products? and if so..which ones what shouold i look for

which arent worth messing with? i fly mostly vfr with a gps...but want to learn the ils stuff

Tracon
March 11th, 2011, 19:59
I own the 430 and 530. If I were to suggest only one unit, the GNS530 is the way to go. It has a beautiful screen and TAWS. The unlimited package will allow you to use two 430's, one 430 and one 530, or two 530's together with crossfill, or it will add TCAS to the 530.

You will spend 200 bucks for the whole 430/530 crossfill system.

Whatever you do, I completely recommend them. I just wish they would remake their SN3308 for FSX..

Daveroo
March 11th, 2011, 20:24
I own the 430 and 530. If I were to suggest only one unit, the GNS530 is the way to go. It has a beautiful screen and TAWS. The unlimited package will allow you to use two 430's, one 430 and one 530, or two 530's together with crossfill, or it will add TCAS to the 530.

You will spend 200 bucks for the whole 430/530 crossfill system.

Whatever you do, I completely recommend them. I just wish they would remake their SN3308 for FSX..
may i ask what TAWS is?and what is TCAS? ill proll google tomorrow but im snuggled in bed mith muh wife........she purrs steada snores.............no much goog in the proverbial sac though....she hisses and snaps when touch..........like real gilrs doo..........................

glennc
March 12th, 2011, 05:48
I used to fly with Reality XP when I had FS9 on an XP machine. Not since partly because at first, the RXP configurators wouldn't run on Vista. I assume that's been fixed but haven't checked.

These acronyms may not be perfect, but they are close.

TAWS is Terrain Avoidance Warning System. It starts with the basic idea of the terrain feature on the default GPSs but shows Red for stuff above you, yellow for near the same height, green if its below you. If you fly in places with a lot of vertical ground, its is VERY useful.

TCAS is Traffic Control Advisory Service. What's in the GNS530 (unless its very different from the G1000) is TIS (Traffic Information Service). The difference is in how the unit gets its transponder data from other airplanes. Functionally, they are the same thing. They show traffic around you on the screen with indication of relative altitudes and closure rates. It will tell you if there is a threat in very plain terms.

Glenn

TeaSea
March 12th, 2011, 06:18
Daveroo,

I just finished my real life Instrument Rating last weekend....so all this stuff is till fresh in my head. If you need some help, just let me know.....

I used the SIM heavily to practice various approaches. In fact, the actual ones that my examiner used.