PDA

View Full Version : AVG woes

aeromed202
March 11th, 2011, 12:09
Ok I've been watching the laptop about the events in the Pacific so I'm not insensitive. But as I was getting the daughters desktop up to speed (used Dell with XP Home), I have never had such trouble with AVG getting mangled, I think by the barrage of MS updates. The AVG self-installer to remove the messes would not work no matter what, so I suspected there were files and bits of files foiling my attempts. So as my trusty Revo uninstaller could not latch onto a target, I found a site that had of all things an AVG uninstaller tool. Seems I am not alone. The tool did the job of erradicating all the ort from the previous AVG install(s). A quick run of CCleaner and a fresh AVG download installed fine but I still have 50+ MS updates to go. If others have been noticing their AVG mysteriously becoming inert and un-removable this is the link for the removal tool

http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools

Just choose your OS, 32bit or 64bit. As the tool will warn, be sure nothing else is running since it will initiate a restart when it is done.

Gdavis101
March 11th, 2011, 15:29
I quit using AVG when 2011 came out, just seemed like it was to system intensive compared to AVG 9.. Switched over to the free version of Avast.

OBIO
March 11th, 2011, 16:02
I too dumped AVG once the 2011 version came out...it was very resource hoggish and seemed a lot buggier and less secure than previous versions. I now run Microsoft Security Essentials and recommend it to others looking for free AV protection.

OBIO

Francois
March 12th, 2011, 04:03
Except when you're a Corporate CEO with money to spare and OTHERS to work on your PC's: AVG = no-no :icon_lol:

Get something more secure and less intrusive, like Avast! Especially if you use your PC for flight simulator !

demorier
March 12th, 2011, 16:52
Avg 2011 working just fine for me as usual.... on Vista 32 bit system.

stansdds
March 13th, 2011, 05:57
I quit using AVG a few years ago and switched to Avast!. AVG used to be good, but Avast! seems to be better.

Dangerousdave26
March 13th, 2011, 16:56
The reason you saw such a change in AVG was they were bought by Norton or Symantec. That is why AVG 2011 became a resource hog.

GT182
March 13th, 2011, 16:59
Since I installed Microsoft Security Essentials over a year ago, I quit using AVG all together. I've had no problems whatsoever.