PDA

View Full Version : Way OT, but need some help here!

falcon409
March 11th, 2011, 10:48
For some reason, I have run into a roadblock when doing searches via Google Search. Just within the past few days I've gone from being able to do a search and have the suggested links take me directly to the page I want. . . .to clicking on the link and being transported to a totally unrelated website.

Case in point: I just did a test search for the FSDevelopers website, google gave me the correct website link and when I click on it I'm sent to a website for "Best Android Apps". Sometimes, if I continue to go back to the search page results and click the link I want, it will eventaully take me there.

I have run Malware, SpyBot and Adaware and Spybot is the only one that shows anything and I've deleted all those. The others seem to want to insist that Milviz310.exe is a virus and throw that up as one that needs to be deleted (if you have the Cessna 310, you recognize the file). So has anyone run into this before. . .this is quite recent as I already mentioned (past 2 or three days) and I haven't installed any new software, nothing shows in the list of programs via the control panel and I'm at a loss as to where else to look or even what to look for.

Any ideas?

Sieggie
March 11th, 2011, 10:54
Maybe your DNS cache is corrupted. try "ipconfig -flushdns" at a command line. and delete your browser cache also.

Dave

falcon409
March 11th, 2011, 11:02
Dos doesn't recognize that command.:salute:

warchild
March 11th, 2011, 11:37
Its a long shot, but every version of tcp/ip uses a host file. I'm not certain where it whould be on your particular system but you should be able to do a search for "hosts" (minus the quotes). Technically, on a windows machine there should only be one address listed in there 127.0.0.1 localhost. however, sometimes spyware and other programs write to it as well, and as its the first thing tcp/ip looks at for address translation, it goes to that address irregardless of whether its right or wrong.
Best of luck
Pam

Sieggie
March 11th, 2011, 12:26

what OS are you using?

Dave

OBIO
March 11th, 2011, 12:54
Try running CCleaner. It totally removes temp internet files, cookies, and all that jazz. Anytime I encounter a browser issue on other people's system, I install and run CCleaner and in 90% of the cases, that clears it up.

OBIO

Wozza
March 11th, 2011, 13:21
Hi
Try "google redirect virus removal" and good luck if you have it
Wozza

FAC257
March 11th, 2011, 14:37
I saw this reported on the news several days ago.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/02/25/technology/gaming_google/index.htm

http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/110220-121137

I wonder if it has something to do with the change in the way your Google searches are turing out.

FAC

gigabyte
March 11th, 2011, 15:14

The command syntax is ipconfig /flushdns

and from what you are describing it does sound like a bad dns cache, you may also have an issue with the actual DNS (Domain Name Server) from your ISP, there have been DNS hijacks recently and if the IPS has a poisioned name server most searchers will be real funky. You can alway try changing to a new Name Server, actually Google operates many and depending on where you are they are often faster than many local ISP name servers and always up to date. If you have never messed with changing the DNS entries it is not hard it just sounds complicated. If you want to PM me you general location OS version, and home eMail I can send you a cheat sheet on some alternate DNS entries to try and how to change them. Personally I use Google and Open DNS and find much better performance than I was getting from my ISP.

falcon409
March 11th, 2011, 16:06
Well, after I posted that DOS didn't recognize the code, I used CCLeaner to clear the DNS cache and from that point on, it was downhill. It seems to be centered on Firefox and not IE though as Firefix won't even open anymore but instantly reverts to a message that my computer has many viruses. I don't know what dns is, but I would highly suggest leaving it alone because it thoroughly screwed up my system.

I'm going to uninstall Firefox (unfortunately) and then reinstall the latest version and see if that corrects this problem. also, gigabyte, your explanation is totally greek to me bud. I turn on my computer, I get into Win7 and I do my thing. . . .beyond that, I don't really understand the things your talking about or how to go about even starting to, so I'm going to go with the simplest plan which is to get rid of Firefox and start over and see where that leads me.:salute:

falcon409
March 11th, 2011, 17:46
I'm back in Firefox, but the google search is still screwed up. I shouldn't actually the "search" is screwed up because it does find what I search for just as it always did. . .it's once I click the link to go there that things go haywire. If I were to click on the link for sim-outhouse, I could end up on a site for Movie Star Gossip or one of those very generic pages we get sometimes when a flightsim site is no longer in business.

At least when I open Firefox now, it stays open and doesn't revert to a warning about my computer being infested with a virus.

OBIO
March 11th, 2011, 18:17
Sounds like a redirect virus/trojan. You said you have run Malware...do you mean Malwarebytes Antimalware? That is one of the most reliable malware cleaners I have used. If you haven't run it, install it, update it, run it. It will most likely find the nasty and kill it.

OBIO

falcon409
March 11th, 2011, 18:32
Sounds like a redirect virus/trojan. You said you have run Malware...do you mean Malwarebytes Antimalware? That is one of the most reliable malware cleaners I have used. If you haven't run it, install it, update it, run it. It will most likely find the nasty and kill it.

OBIO
Yea, that's the one I ran and it didn't find anything. Pretty frustrating because I know it's there somewhere, but nothing I've tried has located it.:salute:

Astoroth
March 11th, 2011, 19:50
Trying booting into safe mode, then run MalywareBytes. A lot of the time the nasties can hide when you are in full operating mode, but safe mode lets them get ferreted out....

Z-IanMCD
March 12th, 2011, 00:28

The command should be ipconfig /flushdns

so a / instead of a -.

Hope this helpsē

Wozza
March 12th, 2011, 03:51
Hi
Assuming you have the virus....
If you can isolate the system from your network and internet
download a new copy of malwarebytes or whatever on a clean system then onto a thimbdrive and rename the exe ,if only have the one system... boot to safe mode network support download the scanner changing the name ...install in safe mode then rename the installed exe ..(its virus scanner aware)...
The redirect virus is a real nasty as starts out simple but due to the redirects your downloading more and more virus ect it also adapts as you go on the killing spree ...
Wozza