PDA

View Full Version : Making an aircraft towable?

MarkH
March 9th, 2011, 06:23
Is it possible to make an aircraft (eg. the default C172) behave like a glider with respect to towplanes? In the SDK there is mention of an aircraft being 'towable', but I don't know where this property is set, or if it is configurable in the aircraft.cfg.

Any ideas?

Ferry_vO
March 9th, 2011, 07:14
It is possible, to do so you will have to remove the 'engine' parts from the aircraft.cfg. (Maybe the fuel too; don't forget to make back-ups first!). I once managed to get the default 737 towed behind the 747 this way! The cable stretched until it was a few miles long, but I did get the 737 in the air. :icon_lol:

MarkH
March 9th, 2011, 07:37
It is possible, to do so you will have to remove the 'engine' parts from the aircraft.cfg. (Maybe the fuel too; don't forget to make back-ups first!). I once managed to get the default 737 towed behind the 747 this way! The cable stretched until it was a few miles long, but I did get the 737 in the air. :icon_lol:
Ah, thanks. I did wonder about knobbling the engine, but just setting 'engine = 2' ('none') didn't work! I also discovered a note in the Aerosoft's blurb about the Discus-X that says FSX doesn't allow any powered aircraft to be towed. And this led me to WinchX, which simulates a winch launch and will let you launch anything! :)