PDA

View Full Version : OT: New Computer Case

PutPut
March 6th, 2011, 18:18
My FSX machine is about as up to date as it is going to get unless something bites the dust. I had it stuffed in a case I bought about 6 years ago from Comp USA when they were still alive. I put 3 major rebuilds in it over the years. It really needed another fan in the summer and the front panel wiring never matched that on my mother boards.
Last week I was in the very unusual position of being a senior citizen with a little money burning a hole in my pocket. I blew it on a gamer's style case. It is built like a tank, all heavy steel. It has lots of lights which I could do without, but my wife thinks they are neat. Most important, it came with 4 large fans already installed. It was a pleasure installing everything because it is well laid out, room in the right places and easy HD installation. The front panel connectors matched those on my MB. When I got done with 3 HD's, CD/DVD writer and a substantial power supply it was pretty heavy.
It was worth it; the payoff being that both cores on the processor are running 5 -7 degrees Celcius cooler. Looks like it will last a while.

Best, Paul

roger-wilco-66
March 6th, 2011, 22:38
I hear you, those new cases really make a big difference.
I also got myself a new one last christmas, a Xigmatek Midgard. There are so many neat and well thought features in it: PSU at the bottom of the case, slide-in (sideways!) and silenced hdd drawers, air-filters in front of the fans, open mesh design, most cables running behind the mainboard and so on.
I also bought a fan controller (nesteq maxzero) to control all those big fans and now you hardly hear it anymore, and the CPU temps dropped by ca. 11 degrees Celsius compared to the previous case (on the same cpu cooler!).

Cheers,
Mark

kilo delta
March 7th, 2011, 03:56
Congrats on your new case Paul. :salute:

I would suggest,however, that if you or other potential purchasers viewing this thread can afford it...and if you'll be lugging the PC about a bit (for updates/Mods/cleaning etc) that you go with a lightweight aluminium case. Years of hauling heavy steel Alienware systems have taken their toll on my back. :)