PDA

View Full Version : Alphasim's B-66 Destroyer now freeware

fsafranek
March 6th, 2011, 11:10
This was mentioned over in the FS9 forum but I forget to mention it over here. It's the full package minus the licensed sound files. Prior to Phil decided to make it freeware Mal998 and I spent a few hours flying her and updating the flight models (previously it was only available for FS9). We're happy with it and Mal998 and others flew it in multi-player and said she flew great. Our new flight model files are included. Also I made some new airdam textures to get rid of the hole in the underside that showed up in FSX and they are included also.

Download from here: http://www.easyfly.co.nz/Freeware/index.php?dir=/USA

And a couple repaints are available here: http://www.mirage4fs.com/Alphasim/
:ernae:

Cag40Navy
March 6th, 2011, 11:16
Is there a way to purchase the sound files? Thank you non the less! :D

mal998
March 6th, 2011, 11:27
PM me.

Paul K
March 6th, 2011, 11:41
Any hope of the A-3 Skywarrior being released in similar fashion ? It was a nicer looking aircraft, to my mind.

jojohnson9
March 6th, 2011, 12:51
Thanks so much. I like the A-3 and now with the B-66 I am content>:salute::salute::salute:

fsafranek
March 6th, 2011, 16:46
Any hope of the A-3 Skywarrior being released in similar fashion ? It was a nicer looking aircraft, to my mind.
Not much. We did a little with the FDE files on that one also but the last I heard a couple days ago that one will be repackaged as Virtavia and go back on sale.

djscoo
March 6th, 2011, 17:13
It does not work in DX10 mode if anyone was wondering.

@fsafranek The A-3 doesn't work in DX10 either (learned that after purchasing :\ ). Is there a strong enough market for an aircraft with those kind of compatibility issues to warrant an attempt at selling it?

mal998
March 6th, 2011, 19:57
It does not work in DX10 mode if anyone was wondering.

@fsafranek The A-3 doesn't work in DX10 either (learned that after purchasing :\ ). Is there a strong enough market for an aircraft with those kind of compatibility issues to warrant an attempt at selling it?

The only one who can answer that question is the prospective customer.
These are older models, some from years ago, so do not expect state of the art from many of these re-releases. It makes good sense to read about 'em before buying. But of course that goes for all product releases. This is a good place to ask about them because there is probably someone here who has owned the model at one time or another.

But again to address your question, it is unlikely that we will ever see another A-3 Skywarrior and it derivatives built as a native FSX model, and that goes for many of the types that AS did, so I would suggest enjoying them for what they are.

Now some developer out there could make a full-blown liar out of me, and that would be OK if it means getting a bunch of new aircraft re-done for FSX. :)

thunder100
March 7th, 2011, 01:19
+2

Better this then nothing

Roland

falcon409
March 9th, 2011, 16:31
I meant to post this earlier in this thread and got off track with something else, lol, nothing new. The switches in the VC are non-clickable. . .is that to be expected with the FSX version? The only things I can click on, that work, are the switch covers. . . .but no switches.:salute:

mal998
March 9th, 2011, 18:49
Ed,
Frank and I noticed that the switches in the VC were not working but did not have time to figure out why....it got uploaded before we had a chance to address it. I presume that happened because it went up as freeware. Hopefully someone out there will figure out what's preventing those switches from being useable.

Best,
mal

falcon409
March 9th, 2011, 19:21
Ed,
Frank and I noticed that the switches in the VC were not working but did not have time to figure out why....it got uploaded before we had a chance to address it. I presume that happened because it went up as freeware. Hopefully someone out there will figure out what's preventing those switches from being useable.

Best,
mal
ok, thanks Mal. . . .I have had this before and found that moving the viewpoint fwd fixed it because you were actually behind the pilots seat (view-wise) and so technically weren't able to reach the switches. I thought I'd ask first before messing with it.

Thanks again.:salute:

falcon409
March 9th, 2011, 20:14
Ok, that wasn't it, lol. I also ran into the "Opaque" windows during a rainstorm. Through most of the flight everything was fine, then the windows went completely opaque. I thought the Vid Card was acting up (although I've never had that happen in12+ yrs of simming), but when I went to an external view, it was raining. I changed the weather and the windows were transparent again.:salute:

Roger
March 10th, 2011, 01:45
Ed there's a freewware utility at Flight1 to cure this issue... http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library ...top of the list.

falcon409
March 10th, 2011, 04:12
Thanks Roger, I had completely forgotten about that utility. Too bad there isn't one that fixes the switches in the VC, lol.:salute:

mal998
March 10th, 2011, 06:09
I've looked at the VC thru FS Panel Studio for FSX and can see no reason why those gauges and switches shouldn't be working. All the very same switches are working in the 2D panel so it has to be something really obvious that we are not seeing. I'll keep looking.

expat
March 10th, 2011, 07:22
I know its been mentioned and tried already, but this happens to me a lot and this is because when getting in most VC's I (i) change the view point by moving the "seat" or eyepoint position as far as possible with out going past the back of the seat or cockpit by using the keys ((Ctrl + Return I think or one of those) - this allows a much wider field of view - and then I pull myself back forward close enough so I can read the gauges (using te + / - keys or mouse wheel) without narrowing my better field of view.

More often than not, I then lose all the VC gauge click spots. Reversing the above to some compromise brings the click spots back.

Just a thought ..

falcon409
March 10th, 2011, 09:16
I know its been mentioned and tried already, but this happens to me a lot and this is because when getting in most VC's I (i) change the view point by moving the "seat" or eyepoint position as far as possible with out going past the back of the seat or cockpit by using the keys ((Ctrl + Return I think or one of those) - this allows a much wider field of view - and then I pull myself back forward close enough so I can read the gauges (using te + / - keys or mouse wheel) without narrowing my better field of view.

More often than not, I then lose all the VC gauge click spots. Reversing the above to some compromise brings the click spots back.

Just a thought ..
Yep, I mentioned that on the previous page as a possibility, but after tweaking the Viewpoints it made no difference.:salute:

mal998
March 10th, 2011, 09:23
funny thing is when you slew to the right about where a copilot would sit a couple of the hot spots on the left hand panel upper become active...then when you slew back they're dead again.

now i'm noticing the same problem in some other AS ports i.e the B-57 VC...really odd

Prowler1111
March 10th, 2011, 11:58
The problem is that these are not native FSX models, and one thing that makes a HUGE difference between a FS9 native model from a FSX model are precisely transparent materials and the way it handles the alpha for transparency, also, i´ve seen before invisible or flashing materials from fs9 models into fsx when the have merged materials in a same mesh (one single part with 2 or 3 different materials bundled together) the best solution is to contact the original developer..or live with it :-(
Best regards

Prowker

Paul K
March 10th, 2011, 13:08
Ed there's a freewware utility at Flight1 to cure this issue... http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library ...top of the list.

Thanks from me too. I've started using some FS9 aircraft in FSX recently, so that link is very welcome.

falcon409
March 10th, 2011, 15:31
Yea, if there's no fix for this, then the B-66 will be gone for FSX. I fly totally from the VC and while getting to the 2D to work the switches and popups isn't a major deal, it still interrupts the flying and that (to me) detracts from the experience.:salute:

paulb
March 10th, 2011, 22:41
I may be wrong, but I thought that Alphasim also released a version for FSX (as well as FS9)?

I must have a look on my old pc to see if I have it there.

Cheers

Paul

Ferry_vO
March 11th, 2011, 00:56
Very nice aircraft, even if it's a port-over! Added some J33 sounds (Not the right engine type I know, but they are loud and 'vintage' enough for me!). Great framerates, even with complex scenery. The lack of shadows and Dx10 compatability doesn't bother me.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Flightsim/fsscr035.jpg

The old Fs9 A-3 Skywarrior ports over quite well but has some small issues. Might pick up the updated one as it is rereleased for only €14!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Flightsim/fsscr031.jpg

fsafranek
March 15th, 2011, 13:15
Found something related over at FFDS by Tom Gibson on another aircraft brought into FSX:

I found an old post by Bill Leaming on another forum that says that all scaling must be removed from objects or they will not be clickable. I guess Libardo had previously applied a scale to the main panel, since when I clicked Reset Transform and Reset Scale on those VC panels parts and recompiled the plane it became clickable.
Since we don't have the source code and Phil says he doesn't either it isn't going to happen.

falcon409
March 15th, 2011, 15:12
That's too bad, but it seems to be a small trend with some of the recent releases as the A-3 has the same problem, which considering it was payware is even more of a shame that the VC isn't clickable. (just to clarify, some are. . .most are not).:salute:

mal998
March 15th, 2011, 15:35
We flight tested the A-3 and never had an issue with the VC not being clickable. All the hot spots that are meant to function work ok for me.

Falcon did you just purchase the A-3 and your VC is not clickable?

Ferry_vO
March 15th, 2011, 15:46
Falcon, are you talking about the:

Former payware B-66,
the former payware A-3,
or the updated, still on sale as Virtavia A-3?

falcon409
March 15th, 2011, 17:07
The B-66 is the one this thread is about. . .the FSX version as already noted does not have a clickable VC and I've already deleted it. ..the FS9 version is fine.

The A-3 is the payware version and yes there are switches that work (apparently the few that are supposed to) there are many in the cockpit that don't, but it appears they are dummy switches that weren't supposed to work anyway.:salute: