PDA

View Full Version : New look over at Avsim

aeromed202
March 5th, 2011, 12:20
Drop over and check it out. I'm still hoping for more file recovery.

Clarke123
March 5th, 2011, 13:13
Don't like it. Put it back, put it back!

Kiwikat
March 5th, 2011, 13:31
I like it. They really needed to change from their old design. It looked like it was from the 90's. :wavey:

stiz
March 5th, 2011, 14:22
eee gad thats ugly! :monkies:

andersel
March 5th, 2011, 15:19
Hopefully it will grow on me. I don't know why the change was made, other than for it's own sake. Change just for the sake of change has never made much sense to me. If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it. PTTP. LA

Kiwikat
March 5th, 2011, 15:32
I don't know why the change was made

Because the old one looked like it was from the 90's...

My only complaint is that its a bit cluttered. Lots of information all smashed together.

stiz
March 5th, 2011, 16:04
Because the old one looked like it was from the 90's...

my chair looks like its from the 1700s but i'm not gonna "update" it just so it looks "modern" ;)

JayKae
March 5th, 2011, 16:20
Is it just me or is there no area where you can lodge news ? I have some Orbx news coming soon and I would like to lodge it but I will be buggered if I can find where to do it ?

Kiwikat
March 5th, 2011, 16:30
my chair looks like its from the 1700s but i'm not gonna "update" it just so it looks "modern" ;)

I'm sure glad you guys aren't in charge of technology or the internets. :icon_lol::173go1:

mrogers
March 5th, 2011, 16:33
Its a completely different look and format so will take a while to get used to it.....

Flyboy208
March 5th, 2011, 16:55
Personally, I liked the old version better .... Mike :monkies:

icycle
March 5th, 2011, 20:13
Personally, I think its too hard to read.

Try a search. You can't tell where one entry ends and another begins. Besides, there was/is nothing wrong with the 1990's.

This one "tastes" like the internet version of the "new" Coke!
:icon_lol:

Bill

Allen
March 5th, 2011, 20:17
I like it. They really needed to change from their old design. It looked like it was from the 90's. :wavey:

What was wrong with the 90's? Was fun for me.

gradyhappyg
March 5th, 2011, 21:18
Hmmm can't log in now looks like a re-register. Thumbs down for that.

Naismith
March 5th, 2011, 22:54
Cannot log in. Bah humbug. Why do people have to change stuff? Change for changes sake imho. They did a similar thing to the BBC news webpage and the result was actually less news for the sake of flashy pages. Put me off going there very often.

Wild Bill Kelso
March 6th, 2011, 01:59
Won't judge upon their new looks, as it's always a matter of taste...
I liked their simple and handy "classic 90's" design, but won't refuse getting used to the new one!

Bad thing is that logging in currently doesn't work for me:
Although I did the registration procedure "by the book" and received their confirmation mail, activating my new account leads to this message:

An Error Occurred
Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.
[#10120] We could not find the validation request you are attempting to verify.

Well, guys:
I'm not "unsure how to use a feature", to me it seems as if they still have to get used to their new features... :isadizzy:

I'll be patient and keep trying!

Cheers,
Markus.

Wild Bill Kelso
March 6th, 2011, 02:53
Good news:
I finally managed to get activated manually (still dunno why the "linked activation" didn't work for me...).

First library upload (just another German Phantom) is already proceeded. Uploading procedure basically is the same, with one big advantage over the former one:
Multiple screenshots now get uploaded at once! Very nice feature.
And there's no need for a 150pix thumbnail image any more: Just choose one of your screenies as "primary" to get shown as preview.

Cheers,
Markus.

Milton Shupe
March 6th, 2011, 05:12
Good news:
... [snipped] Uploading procedure basically is the same, with one big advantage over the former one:
And there's no need for a 150pix thumbnail image any more: Just choose one of your screenies as "primary" to get shown as preview.

Cheers,
Markus.

That is great to hear; the old 150 png thing was a pain.

aeromed202
March 6th, 2011, 05:13
I expect they will tweak a few things. Seems kind of idiot-light'ish though, bit too simple.

Milton Shupe
March 6th, 2011, 05:35
Just checked it all out. Looks like a great start to me. The file library is okay as well although not quite as feature rich; still a nice start. Give them time; they will get there. :applause:

Z-claudius24
March 6th, 2011, 05:38
Hi,

Good news:
I finally managed to get activated manually (still dunno why the "linked activation" didn't work for me...).

First library upload (just another German Phantom) is already proceeded. Uploading procedure basically is the same, with one big advantage over the former one:

Cheers,
Markus.

Great :salute:
Now my little problem will be to find again your upload in few months with the bad new search system of the Avsim library :)

WarHorse47
March 6th, 2011, 05:44
I got in this morning. I had forgotten my password, but once I logged into the main site and later in the forum, there were no problems.

Yeah, the site is very "busy". Their file search doesn't seem to work well when you try to looking up using two keywords like 'Eckart" and "Stearman." I got all kinds of non-relreated results, and it didn't seem to filter specific to FS 2004.

Hope they do some tweaking to improve it.

--WH

Tom Clayton
March 6th, 2011, 05:55
One nice feature is the creation of a new forum support thread for every new upload. If you're having trouble finding a file in the library, try searching the file suppport section of the forum. Each entry there contains a link to the library file and each file contains a link back to its support thread.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/313761-w88-air-harbor-greensboro-nc/

Ralf Roggeveen
March 6th, 2011, 06:14
I like chairs and enjoyed the 1990s, so that's those two out of the way.

The new look Avsim seems OK - just so long as those hacker nitwits (Why?!?) don't go & mess it all up. In the end it's ease of download that matters from such sites. The fact that so much wonderful stuff in our hobby is FREE (after the initial outlay) surely means that we only have reason to be most grateful and wish all the luck in the world to the good folk at Avsim and similar websites? All power to them! :salute:

stiz
March 6th, 2011, 07:40
I'm sure glad you guys aren't in charge of technology or the internets. :icon_lol::173go1:

i wish i was, i'd oblitorate twitbook for starters! And rename ANYTHING that has a sodding "i" in front of it!!!!! :icon_lol:

As for the asim site, some change is good, but there is such a thing as a bad website ... what a\/sim should ha\/e done is taken the old layout and just jazzed things up a bit, not totally redisgned and squased it all into a bloglike format, it just doesnt work!

btw .. \/ stands for the letter it looks like, that paticular key on my keyboard decided to die :frown:

AndyG43
March 6th, 2011, 09:21
btw .. \/ stands for the letter it looks like, that paticular key on my keyboard decided to die :frown:

Is your keyboard from the 1990's?

I'm far from being a luddite (I've done a bit of web design myself, although nothing this complex), but I'm also far from being convinced by the new site layout!

Leaving aside the fact that it took me a good 15 minutes to login (I assume the new steps are for improved security) I feel the layout is far from intuitive & they've still not fixed some things that used to annoy me about the old site; for example, going into the file library, you still don't have the option to move back to the main sites home page - unless I've missed it, which reinforces my comment about "intuitive".

And if you've gone to all the trouble of creating a new look and a (rather nice) graphic for your home page, why do you not then carry that over to the file library or the forums. Hopefully it will settle down, but I'm not overly impressed thus far.

GypsyBaron
March 6th, 2011, 09:59
Who CARES what era it "looked like" it was from. It was at least functional and readable.

The "new" main page is so cluttered and unstructured that it is useless, as far as I'm concerned.

What is wrong with web page designers these days.? They seem to favor light colors with
little contrast, small fonts that are difficult to read if you do not have 20/20 eyesight and
pages stuffed with unnecessary "bells & whistles".

I shudder every time a site or forum that I regularly visit announces that they will be
upgrading the software.

The old, functional, readable Avsim main page had easily scanned lists of the new library entries.
That's why I went there before continuing on to the forums. That is no longer the case. It appears
that you now have to wade through all the links to find one that will take you to the latest library
additions. It seems that the library entry point is now just another "stop here before proceeding to
what you are really after" point.

Sorry Avsim. Your new site "look" fails, big time!

Paul

n4gix
March 6th, 2011, 11:11
Just checked it all out. Looks like a great start to me. The file library is okay as well although not quite as feature rich; still a nice start. Give them time; they will get there. :applause:

Milton, the new File Library actually has more features, albeit they aren't all gathered up in one easy to find spot...

For example, it's not at all obvious that one must click the "VIEW" button to access the "Zipdive" button...

As Tom mentioned above, I love the new automatic "Forum Post" redirect when clicking the "Support" button, and the corollary function from the "Forum Post" back to the File Listing/Download page.

This feature alone should make it easier for authors to provide "support" for their uploaded files, providing users can be convinced to use it! :ernae:

stiz
March 6th, 2011, 12:08
Is your keyboard from the 1990's?

near enough (2001ish):bump:

Tracon
March 6th, 2011, 12:45
The change is nice but I would have chosen a different style. As kiwikat said, TMI in too little space.

And computers were made to do things faster.

TeaSea
March 6th, 2011, 12:48
I learned a long time ago not to immediately judge people, or things like web sites.

Especially if my cheese has been moved.

Once I find my cheese, I may find that I like where it its better.

norab
March 6th, 2011, 19:40
I like the look but navigation is a little fuzzy

Railrunner130
March 7th, 2011, 04:03
I'm not a fan of the new library system. The search function is about the same or has regressed a little. It should (in my opinion) go to advanced search as default. I'm not a fan of quick searches.

Also, it would be really nice to click on a file to learn more about it and have it open in a different window or tab.

It does look nice though. Although I haven't spent much time in other areas on the site.

Wild Bill Kelso
March 7th, 2011, 07:58
The search function is about the same or has regressed a little. It should (in my opinion) go to advanced search as default. I'm not a fan of quick searches.

I think this is the biggest step backwards:
It seems like (currently?) there's no way to look for specific authors!

I maybe got blinded by all those bells & whistles, but I still haven't found an "advanced search"...

Cheers,
Markus.

GypsyBaron
March 7th, 2011, 08:35
The nnew Avsim library is a piece of crap and certainly wasn't designed by anyone
that actually wanted to USE it!

The "What's new" link is ludicrous! All the freaking files from all the library areas
are lumped together in one long, difficult to scan, list!

All I want to see are "FSX Original aircraft", "FSX Scenery" and possible "FSX Misc"
or "FSX Gauges".

You can't do that "at a glance" any longer.

Each library entry occupies more than twice the screen area that a single entry
used to occupy. What dimwit designed THAT layout, with the "View","Zikp Dive",
and "Download" buttons stacked vertically, thus increasing the amount of unused
"white space" for a given entry.

I can't believe that those in charge over at Avsim see this as an improvement!
The entire site now is a royal PITA to ATTEMPT to use.

Now you need three mlogins over there....one for the Forums, a different one
for the Library and yet a third should you want to post comments on articles
or reviews. Wow...that sure is "progress" in retrograde!

I can only hope that someone with more patience for using that ridiculous entity
than I have will post here with a description and a direct link to any useful files in
the Avsim library because that is the only way I'll know about them now :(

To reiterate, the New Avsim libary...no, the entire Avsim site...is now a piece of CRAP!

Paul

n4gix
March 7th, 2011, 09:09
Now you need three mlogins over there....one for the Forums, a different one
for the Library and yet a third should you want to post comments on articles
or reviews. Wow...that sure is "progress" in retrograde!

Paul, that is factually incorrect. You need only one login for "normal use" of the forums and library.

The exception is a separate login for commenting on articles or reviews, which quite frankly not that many people actually do to begin with. I understand that there are plans to remove that separate login requirement once they've managed to tune up the other issues.

n4gix
March 7th, 2011, 09:24
I think this is the biggest step backwards:
It seems like (currently?) there's no way to look for specific authors!

I maybe got blinded by all those bells & whistles, but I still haven't found an "advanced search"...

Cheers,
Markus.

On the first opening screen after clicking on File Library:

Search the Library: Advanced [>..............................................]

If you click after the > and enter keyword(s) you enter the "Quick Search" function.
If you click on Advanced you will open up the "Advanced Search" dialog.

There are the expected empty search boxes for options, including one for Author.

Advanced Search
<FORM method=post action=runsearch.php?type=advq>Download ID
<INPUT id=dlid class=textboxstyle name=dlid>
File Name
<INPUT id=fname class=textboxstyle name=fname>
Author
<INPUT id=author class=textboxstyle name=author>
Name and/or Description
<INPUT id=name class=textboxstyle name=name>
Cateogry
<INPUT id=name class=textboxstyle name=name>
</FORM>

aris2747
March 7th, 2011, 09:34
What good is change just for the sake of change.
The "new" design is a disaster.
BUT, as Tom Allensworth said in AVSIM forums, "Apologize? For what? Trying to answer the demands of users to provide a more "modern" site? No way in hell. If you read a post I made earlier, you would have found that we are working to resolve the issues - or maybe you did and you are just ignoring it. But, It will be a cold day in hell when any of the 40+ volunteers here apologize to you for trying to bring the site up to date at our user's request. You don't like that? Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out."
Ignoring the desires of your users, don't you think?

aris2747

(http://forum.avsim.net/user/100001-tom-allensworth/)

n4gix
March 7th, 2011, 09:46
Ignoring the desires of your users, don't you think?
(http://forum.avsim.net/user/100001-tom-allensworth/)

If AVSIM were a pay-for-use website, that might have some relevance.

As long as it remains a "free and volunteer operated" website though, it remains pretty much a case of "take it or leave it..."

To be perfectly frank, most of the anti-change comments there remind me of someone complaining about free meals at a soup kitchen...

aris2747
March 7th, 2011, 10:03
FYI, I have donated some small amounts of money to that website in the past. Have you?

n4gix
March 7th, 2011, 10:33
FYI, I have donated some small amounts of money to that website in the past. Have you?

As a matter of fact, I've made annual donations to AVSIM for the past sixteen years.

I also served as a member of the Board of Directors for nearly six years, and only resigned my seat when I became a "commercial developer" and felt it would have been a conflict of interest to remain on the BoD.

Even so, that does not somehow give me any more "rights" at AVSIM than anyone else.

GypsyBaron
March 7th, 2011, 15:41
Paul, that is factually incorrect. You need only one login for "normal use" of the forums and library.

The exception is a separate login for commenting on articles or reviews, which quite frankly not that many people actually do to begin with. I understand that there are plans to remove that separate login requirement once they've managed to tune up the other issues.

Well, I was prompted to log min for library access this morning and the only option
was to enter an email address and a password. My previous Avsim library login and
forum login were the same, and they were NOT an email address.

I then went through the "Register" procedure and again, I was asked for an email
address, not a user name. After registering and having it validated I went back
to login and again needed to enter the email address and the password.

Thus, I have two distinct logins at Avsim now. My forum lohgin which is a User Name
and the Library login which is an email address.

This may be a moot point as I doubt that I will be using the library there unless they
can undo the terrible blunder they made by changing the entire form, fit and function!

Paul

Tracon
March 7th, 2011, 18:49
Moot point it is then. Obviously Avsim won't leave it the way it is. Improvements will be made, they have to be. Everybody chill with Avsim. Good grief it's like a really bad hollywood news story.

Wing_Z
March 7th, 2011, 22:23
Never mind whether you like the new look or not, AVSIM is primarily a library resource.
The one thing a library must do well, is retrieve information.

Previously, the AVSIM search was clunky.
It needed fixing, sure, but now it is broken.
I have done 3 simple criterion tests: utter fail.

If AVSIM does not fix their search engine, they may as well pack it in.

I’d place this tirade on AVSIM somewhere, but I suspect you need to be a Tweeter (I am not).

Maybe someone from there reads this forum.
Fix the search function, guys, because the front end is so ghastly, you wouldn’t want to visit for any other reason.

n4gix
March 8th, 2011, 07:32
Well, I was prompted to log min for library access this morning and the only option
was to enter an email address and a password. My previous Avsim library login and
forum login were the same, and they were NOT an email address.

Paul, apparently there are still some issues with logins, although I certainly haven't encountered any at all...

As a matter of fact, I've not had to login at all for either the forums or the library, but that may simply be because I don't "toss my cookies" when closing Internet Explorer...

GypsyBaron
March 8th, 2011, 17:14
Avsim has seen the light....and it is the old site software!

A big "Thank you" to everyone who expressed their dissatisfaction with
the change that was attempted!

Paul

Wing_Z
March 8th, 2011, 18:16
Hallelujah. It is a lesson to all who Make Stuff, Write Stuff, Create Stuff:
NO MATTER how friggin' clever your codes and scripts, if the end user experience is compromised it is NO GOOD AT ALL.

Wild Bill Kelso
March 8th, 2011, 23:31
Ehhhhmmmm: They say their reverting is "temporarily"...

Anyway, I appreciate their considering the mostly negative feedback.
Good to see the "Classic Coke" again (although I could have lived with the new design, if only full functionality was given...).

Let's see how long this temporarily solution will last.
We have a saying here:
"Nothing is as consistent as a provisional solution", so maybe we can forget about their "New Coke" soon...

Cheers,
Markus.