PDA

View Full Version : editinn the aircraft .cfg files in windows 7 ?

heywooood
March 3rd, 2011, 19:18
ok - I tried the forum search with zero result

I could edit and save changes to aircraft .cfg files all daay long in XP

but what is the trick in win7???

I get "access denied" no matter what I do

any assistance would be greatly appreciated - thanks people :salute:

ooopsiedoodle

paulb
March 3rd, 2011, 22:10
You just need to turn off UAC - user access control.

roger-wilco-66
March 3rd, 2011, 22:10
In which folder did you install FSX? It is generally recommended to install it in an own folder structure (not the default program folders) or even on a seperate partition or even hard disk or ssd) due to the restrictive user system of Win7. Installing it in an own, separate structure automatically sets the ownership to the user with which it was created.
Now, to solve your problem without re-installing FSX, you could log into Win7 as Administrator (if your user is not in that group) and try to gain the co-ownership of the FSX folder and subfolders (be sure to include that) for your standard user. Right-Click the folder and change the appropriate security properties there and make sure that the ownership is also granted for the sub folders...

I installed FSX on a separate hdd (Win7 64) and never had any problems with that.

Cheers,
Mark

airattackimages
March 4th, 2011, 04:47
All I do is drag the cfg onto the desktop, edit it there... save it, and drag it back.

Or, turn off the UAC. But my method works fine too.

SkippyBing
March 4th, 2011, 05:06
Ditto making changes to a copy on the desktop.

Moving programs out of the programs folder does make a big hole in one of the security features of Windows Vista and later.

teeboy
March 4th, 2011, 11:22
Without mucking about with UAC etc.. Right click the cfg file, select Properties. Click on the Security tab in the pop up. Click the Edit button, select the User form the top section (you, not administrator). Click the 'modify' option under the allow column in the bottom part of the window (this should check all the options in the lower part of the window) then click Ok. You now have permission to muck about with the cfg file to your hearts content.

Easy... :jump: