PDA

View Full Version : Thicko Kate

Talon
March 3rd, 2011, 12:35
Lately I've been changing the Kates in some of my missions with the Thicko Kate.The Kates will drop bombs fine but when they torpedo attack they all crash into the ocean. Anyone else notice this?

Talon

Ravenna
March 3rd, 2011, 17:07
Yes. Its quite frustrating.I tried using the MISC DATA info from the TBF_Avenger MB, but they kept hitting the water. Just a thought...I was going to change the DP to remove all the ordnance except torpedoes and adding "unit name 2, category 4" to the MISC DATA entry but I got sidetracked.

kelticheart
March 4th, 2011, 02:22
Hi gents,

shortly after Thicko released his splendid Kate series, Talos2005 complained about the same problem. Thicko's Kates flown as AIs, both B5N1 and B5N2, would crash into the water or into the side of targeted ships during torpedo runs.

He found the solution by increasing the elevators effectiveness from 1.0 to 2.0 in the aircraft.cfg of each model.

It would also help decreasing with AirEd the Moment Of Inertia values by about 50-60% in the airfile (record 1001), as suggested by Tango Romeo in his AI performance tuning tutorial. If the record is not there, just find any aircraft that has it and copy it into Thicko's Kate airfile. Then copy the MOI values from the aircraft.cfg and decrease them.

TR explains that when CFS2 loads an aircraft, airfile values take precedence over aircraft.cfg ones when such aircraft is an AI plane. Moreover, MOI values dictate the amount of force necessary to move an aircraft in that particular axis. When record 1001 is missing from the airfile, aircraft.cfg values are the only ones available to the sim but, although fine for a user-controlled plane, they are usually too high for the sim to handle.

As a result, we have AI planes that refuse engaging dogfights, do not make bomb runs, crash during takeoffs/landings, collide in midair or, as in this case, crash during their torpedo runs simply because the sim, with too heavy MOI values, cannot act fast enough to pull them out of them.

I haven't had the time to run such experiments, but I already did modify all stock Japanese aircrafts airfiles involved at Pearl by adding record 1001 with MOI values decreased by half in it.

For Thicko's Kates I would try both modifications.

Cheers!
KH :ernae:

Jagdflieger
March 4th, 2011, 07:54
Thanks KH. I missed that discussion so thanks for the review.

I'd sure like to see Talos stop by to say hi sometime. His contributions were most enjoyed.

Talon
March 4th, 2011, 11:16
Kelti,

I had already done the airfile before you posted and my Kate flies fine now.

Talon

kelticheart
March 4th, 2011, 13:25
Kelti,

I had already done the airfile before you posted and my Kate flies fine now.

Talon

Good! I am glad I could show off a little...:wiggle:

Cheers!

Talon
March 4th, 2011, 13:34
I actually had the Kate fixed about a half hour after I made my original post. I just wanted to see what other people thought.

Sometimes it's good to make people think so they can learn.

Talon

kelticheart
March 4th, 2011, 13:37
....Sometimes it's good to make people think so they can learn.

Talon

Hear! Hear!

Cheers!