PDA

View Full Version : Soesterberg AFB 1980

huub vink
March 3rd, 2011, 11:50
The lovely scenery from NL2000 brings back memories. I was stationed at Soesterberg AFB in 1978 and from 1981 until 1983. In those days Soesterberg was the home of 32nd TFS USAF, 334 transport squadron and 298 helicopter squasron. In 1978 the Phantoms from 32nd TFS were still there. When I arrived in 1981 they had been replaced by Eagles.

Soesterberg was the first airfield from the Royal Dutch Air Force or LVA as it was called in 1913. In 2008 the airfield was closed.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/ehsb-1.jpg

The tower the wing with the bedrooms is missing and the air-conditioning unit at the third floor. The weather observer had his office at the third floor. I did spend many hours there. Lovely view over the complete airfield. The Eagles used to open their air brake when they were at this point to greet the air traffic controllers.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/ehsb-2.jpg

The fire station. Many cars but nothing to do. The fire brigade had engines all over the place, but this was their building. Some times they were called to assist the civil fire brigade. In that case every thing what could drive would leave the place!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/ehsb-3.jpg

The platform in front of building 35. In 1978 the weather office was still located in this building. When a F-27 started his engine you couldn't make a normal call anymore inside the building. Soon the weather office would move underground in bunker 500.
In the middle of the picture the canteen on top of bunker 44. Bunker 44 was the old German traffic control bunker, but in 1978 still in use as war location for those who were working in building 35. One of the big hangars the back was the home of the military aviation museum until it moved to its current location in 1980. It was only opened during the weekend but military personnel could drop in when there was somebody from the museum. I once sat in the Spitfire from the museum when it was still there.
On the left the Allouette helicopters from 298 squadron. Normally a call was enough to get a seat in a flight. Normal payment was either beer or cookies.

Sweet memories, thanks for bringing them back NL2000 team!

Huub

delta_lima
March 3rd, 2011, 12:23
Thanks for posting Huub,

I'm really interested in this scenery - looks great in FSX. Thanks so much - I had no idea of this nice looking scenery.

dl

Warrant
March 3rd, 2011, 12:44
Nice story and pic's, Huub!
Did not know you served, and did so in the air force and at Soesterberg. I was stationned with 300Sqn at SSB from 1996 till 1998. The building on top of the bunker was the squadron pilot's/Ops personnel crewroom in my day's. I saw many flyby's from our and the other squadron (298) pass from there, including some nice "rival" greetings from the 298 Chinook Sqn. I had many hours of flight in the Alouette III, the Cougar and the chinook in my helicopter day's. The Alouette III gave me the oppurtunity to actually handle the controls on more then one occasion. The Cougar flights were mainly from the troop compartiment, but several times from the jump-seat as well.
Those were wonderfull times. I sometimes still miss it!
The days of the 32 TFS (especially with the F15's) i can remember very well. Those were the days i was at school in Utrecht, and visited the spotters area many times to see the Eagles take off and land.

Thanks for sharing your history regarding "de Bakermat", Huub :salute:

huub vink
March 3rd, 2011, 13:29
Its actually a sad story Warrant as all airfields I have served at are closed or completely gone! I "belonged" to Soesterberg, but was stationed at Ypenburg from 1978 until 1981 and for a very short period at Valkenburg with the colleagues from the Royal Navy (I volunteered as both airfields were close to my home).

There is a good story about a T-33 at Soesterberg! In 1978 there was a old T-33 from the Danish Air Force which made frequent trips to Soesterberg. As there were no operational T-33s anymore it was something special. Nobody understood why this rare bird was such a regular visitor. Until the "Marrechaussee" (Military Police) checked the contents of the drop tanks..... (alcohol is expensive in Scandinavia!)

That was the last time I ever saw a flying T-33 ;)

Cheers,
Huub

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/ehsb-4.jpg