PDA

View Full Version : FaceTrackNoIR

Chuck_Jodry-VJPL
March 3rd, 2011, 07:08
http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/home/default.htm

A free webcam based headtracking software

New in version 1.4 is support for MS Flight Simulator 2002, 2004 and FSX, as well as support for some older games like CFS3

Got a note about this system and was curious if there is any users left since the Release Post (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?45176-FaceTracking-with-just-your-web-cam&highlight=FaceTrackNoIR)with some feedback about its utility , is it a good subject for a review ?

airattackimages
March 3rd, 2011, 07:39
Wow, I'd love to hear feedback on this!

Daube
March 3rd, 2011, 07:41
I'm still using it from time to time.
There are four important points:
- not all webcams are supported.
- the face detection is a bit imprecise, it works better if the lighting is good. (funny thing is, it also work much better if you open your eyes wide and you make a large smile :) )
- the lack of precision of the face detection will cause some parasite movements of the view
- those parasite movements, once the tool is configured properly (sensitivity, response curves), can get greatly reduced and end up looking like what can be seen on EZDock Camera videos (but not so exagerated), it brings some realistic/immersive movements in the cabin. Unfortunately, this is enjoyable when flying small planes with simple cockpits, but gets very annoying in complex-cockpit planes since it gets too difficult to click stuff precisely.

My conclusion is that I really love using this tool when I'm flying a small prop plane or a military jet, but I when it comes to flying something like the B-17 or B-377 Accusim where you always need to click stuff, it's impossible. Globally, I'm satisfied with this tool.

AndyE1976
March 3rd, 2011, 10:36
The concept is great, but I found it too laggy, which I guess is inevitable with the computation involved vs TrackIR.

I guess on a dedicated core it would work well, but FSX consumes all my cores, memory and $$ :)

I would love to lose the hat and the track clip and retain the look-see functionality of TrackIR

Daube
April 16th, 2011, 09:42
I'm upping this topic just to notify you that there is a new update for FaceTrackNoIR, now in version 1.5.
This new version brings some improvements and bug-solving for FSX. The head-detection seems a bit more precise and reactive, and just like in previous version, it still works better if you smile :icon_lol:

Also, and contrary to version 1.40, if you use the key combo to stop FTNIR, you now have full control of the view just like before. With version 1.4, if you stopped FTNIR in flight, your view would remain centered, very annoying. Now you can safely deactivate FTNIR when you need precise view control to adjust switches or take screenshots, and switch it back to active for normal flying :jump:

AndyE1976
April 16th, 2011, 11:01
Might be worth another try, particularly as I think my system can handle it.