PDA

View Full Version : PC Tablet

Ickie
March 2nd, 2011, 13:34
Does anyone use a PC tablet to get here at soh and does it do a good job?

i am interested in getting one tell me what i should be looking for?

do they require virus protection?

how do they handle cookies?

Moparmike
March 2nd, 2011, 14:32
The tablet PCs we have at work are basically just like a WinXP laptop except they don't fold and they have a full touchscreen instead of a keyboard/touchpad. As far as operating, they work just like any other Winders computer...and security and applications are similar.
Windows has a built-in "pop-up" keyboard application if you need to do character entry.

Now Ipads...
I'll leave answering that to someone here that has one (Lionheart or DangerousDave?)
I've got one co-worker that has one but I've never even peeked over his shoulder at it in action.

Ickie
March 3rd, 2011, 03:29
These are on ebay for $150 - $200 and free shipping
10.2" ePad Android 2.1 Hdmi WiFi GPS MID Apad Tablet PC

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130492993212&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I found this video of this and it tell all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE2J9leO3EE

this is a Linux based system and for checking out the internet and checking online email, this may be the answer to my security, then I can only use my big computer for when I need to work on the servers and forums.

It also uses AVG for backup virus protection.

1 GHz processor with 2 GB of ROM memory, and up to 64 GB's of memory card (TF) for storage, 2-x-32

I feel this may be the future for safe internet browsing.

Moparmike
March 3rd, 2011, 06:20
Ahh...I see. Looks kinda like an Android-powered iPad.
I know nothing about the Android OS other than it is Unix based and that Google has it's paws involved with it. I have heard a bit about malicious apps with SMS trojans but I don't know if they're really widespread or not.

That said, I do run an anti-virus on my Linux rigs (yup AVG here too), but I don't think that there is much to choose from for Android AV software yet.
I've been known to intentionally do some pretty dumb things with one of my test rigs too like "trolling" for viruses. I've never gotten nailed with a Linux virus yet...knock on wood!...but I have found lots of Winders virii that the AV picked up.

JoeW
March 3rd, 2011, 08:09
This is a bit off topic, but I was in Wendy's this morning and have noticed the last 3 or 4 times in there that people were using Computers in there. I asked the little girl if they had a Wii connection there and she said yes. I don't know if all Wendy's has that or if it's just the one here in Lake Placid. They sure don't advertise it.
Ask the one near you.

Ickie
March 3rd, 2011, 08:15
another reason to get one, small compack and free wifi everywhere, these have only been around for a little over 1 year and the price has dropped a lot and even schools are issuing them to students, we are all setup here at soh so we are up on things and i really need to get one to test our scripts when we do changes.

Ickie
March 3rd, 2011, 08:19
I am keeping an eye on them at EBay and as soon as i can snag one under $150 and free shipping i will get one, I do have a 15% off EBay coupon

Ickie
March 3rd, 2011, 08:58
Peace Of Mind.
I have to log into our servers many times a day and believe me I worry about key loggers and hackings. I see that one of these will fix my insecure feelings when I do so. Heck I do an online scan daily to make sure I have no buggs, this takes hours and I feel my time will be better spent. I won't have to worry with one of these. I read today where google police has banned 50 apts which someone did hack so I will not be adding and apts to this unit, strickly a work tool for SOH.
I feel I may need to get one for Canelo Kid too, he needs one to test our scripts.

Panther_99FS
March 3rd, 2011, 17:29
No problems with my iPad Ron...

Ickie
March 4th, 2011, 02:45
while I was asleep one sold for $117, damm now that is my price.

Chacha
March 4th, 2011, 05:36
I have an iPad, with 3G...
And I use it around the house (on Wifi) and outside the house... (3G)
I have no issues with SOH.
(Except places that 3G is impossible to work)

It is like a big iPhone minus the phone and camera.

I suggest you get one (ePad or iPad or any Tablet)
Easy access to SOH and the web anywhere you go!
You and CK deserve to have one...

Ickie
March 4th, 2011, 12:53
I spent 15 hours reading about these models and found 3 models and many others which are older models which were upgraded.

I settled on this company which is the factory and these are not upgraded models but new models made this month.
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/422570142-10-2-Android-2-2-GPS-WI-FI-3G-WebCam-1G-CPU-FlyTouch-3-wholesalers.html

there is a lot to look at
1) make sure it is a new 2.2 model
2) battery MA's , I have found them from 2400 to 5400, the new models have the bigger battery
3) features, the one above is loaded and only cost a few dollars more.
4) check for G-Sensor some models do not have this.
5) webcam is important for CK and myself, we are always on the phone discussing and cussing, lol, now I can see his face.
6) I am also getting us one of these too, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160552234726&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
7) also buying 2 of these http://cgi.ebay.com/New-32GB-TF-Memory-Card-32G-Micro-SD-SDHC_W0QQitemZ120693129828QQcategoryZ18871QQcmdZVi ewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%2 6its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DMRU-625%252BUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3 D10%26pmod%3D120691605167%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7507 012575757837508

This is the model and from this company, I am getting for Canelo_Kid and myself to keep SOH up and running and looking into the future.....

Navy Chief
March 4th, 2011, 16:27
I use have a Archos 5 500gb PC tablet. Pricey, but perfect for my needs, especially travelling.

NC

lefty
March 6th, 2011, 15:49
We'd all like tablets to play with, Ron, but I can't afford one either, so on this occasion I'm not contributing. Sorry.

Lionheart
March 6th, 2011, 16:20
This will indeed be the year of the Pads. With the billions made on iPad, and now everyone scrambling to get theirs released, they are going to be the next big thing besides smart phones. Steve Jobs called it 'the Post PC era' where new devices and technology gizmos are surfacing, such as tablets and media devices.

I wonder what will be next, a new market segment?

They are so efficient Ickie. My Apple iPad sleeps so well that its like it is off. So turning it on is half a second. While my computer is booting up WinXP, I can check my emails on the iPad, check Facebook, etc, and go make coffee and WinXP is still finalizing bootup.