PDA

View Full Version : SHIPS

Fibber
February 28th, 2011, 10:02
Does anyone know if any of the Essex class carriers, Intrepid,Shangria La, etc. were ever redid, in the sim, to reflect post-war angle deck and FRAM yard work? I have the carriers but can't seem to find any angle except the VN Midway, which could be used as a
tem-plate for wires and some color work, and was hoping that maybe Collins or some other master had did some. I don't have a clue (or the software) as to where to even begin to do it myself. (lots of "to's" there!)

yeppers
February 28th, 2011, 13:13
I've been looking for angle-decked Essex's as well for some time, but I havent found anything. The only other angle-deck carriers I've been able to find are the Stennis, Coral Sea and Sao Paulo.

Jagdflieger
February 28th, 2011, 21:56
The Virtual Navy made the USS Coral Sea with an angled deck.

Search for: USS_Coral_Sea_updated.zip

They also made the USS Lexington with a post war angle deck.

Look for: VN_CV-16.zip

Or the USS Midway

Look for: USS_Midway.zip

Or the USS_Oriskany

Look for: VN_Oriskany

I gues the USS Lexington angle deck and the USS Coral Sea would be the two closest to what you are looking for.

Fibber
March 1st, 2011, 05:29
Thanks Jag;
I have the Midway and the Coral Sea but they seem to be very drab. I got spoiled with Collins' work and was hoping that there was some similar work out there. Love the eye candy, Wires and all. Will look for the Oriskiany though.

Jagdflieger
March 1st, 2011, 08:30
I've always liked the VN ships as their frame rates are good and you can build up a task force easily without too much worry about frame rates. On the other hand, with today's computers, detail is not as big an issue as it once was.

For a nicely detailed modern fleet set up, you might try the USN battle fleet by Javier Fernandez titled USN 2002 Battle Group. Search for: usn2002_BtlGrp.zip

I think that I got it at either flightsim.com or simviation.com.

It includes an Arleigh Burke class DD, a Los Angeles class SBN, A sacramento class provisions ship and both the USS Enterprise and the USS Stennis.

Here's a few shots with a VN angle deck and the USN Battle Group's USS Stennis.

Fibber
March 1st, 2011, 08:51
Jag;
Funny that you mentioned that 2002. I tried it and all the parked A/C were just grey blocks, Nothing like in your screenie. The ship was good with crew and all, just that the parked were not there. The 'cats and Viking were just grey undefined grey shapes. When you set up did you add anything?

Jagdflieger
March 1st, 2011, 12:19
Fibber,

I just installed it straight from the zip file. It sounds like you are missing a texture file given your description of the static aircraft on deck.

There are numerous texture files in the USS Stennis' texture file. I converted a few examples to JPEG (to show up here). Do you have any of these in your USS Stennis texture folder? If not, that is probably why the planes look like blocks.

Fibber
March 1st, 2011, 14:17
Jag;
Found the problem.:salute: Operator error. Evidently when I installed I must have not installed the deck configuration that I thought I did and the stock model must have blank planes. Redid it and it really looks great! If I hadn't seen your screenie I probably wouldn't have realized it was wrong.

Still can't find Oriskany, and the VN ships good great from afar but look like the "deck apes" have a lot of painting to do when up close. Never saw a FD with that much rust, outside of the Inactive Fleet:icon_lol: If I only knew how to paint models ( or anything on the computer!:icon_lol:) they would be a great project to update.

crashaz
March 21st, 2011, 19:34
Those carriers were done in the 2003-3005 timeframe. Definitely in need of a refit. Computers were not that powerful then.

If someone reliable wants to take the original GMAX models they are welcome to them but I do not want to see a bunch of our old work floating around the NET in variations.

Some of the SF/Yankee Air Pirates models started out as VN models way back when.

Seagull V
March 22nd, 2011, 03:36
Hello crashaz

If someone was interested in updating the ships, with Usio's and Collin's Shipyard work as benchmarks, would there be any problems ????? Especially in being able to obtain enough details to do such an update ? Obviously the original owners would still have a big say in such a project, it would also have to be a long-term project as well.

Fibber
March 26th, 2011, 20:48
Was bored and cruising. I guess you didn't see Crashez'es post about "have had it!" He is willing to let you, apparently, have access to the source files. If you feel up to it, and I belive you are, I think it would be a really great asset to the game.