PDA

View Full Version : windows 7 sp-1

Ickie
February 28th, 2011, 06:07
I installed windows 7 SP-1 and all seemed fine and I shut my computer off last night.

this morning it would not start no video, so i changed out video cards and it worked for 3 minutes and crashed.
I put the old card back in and it came up with tons of errors and the restore would not work,

it took 4 hours to get it back up again, I had to use the disk to get going and now I am backing up my drive this will take all day, I am not even going to touch this unit until it is complete.

in the restore process it told me windows cannot fix my computer and sent info to MS.

I am running windows 7 ultamite 64.

it was odd that when it rebooted no beep for video was made and no video, I really thought the bad butt video card bit the dust, and my other video card was yesterdays bad butt card and it kinda worked, than I thought maybe my motherboard was bad, but now everything seens ok for now.

I did change out to a new video cable and still it didn't work.

I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Pronto91
February 28th, 2011, 06:24
I have SP1 installed (didn't plan on it but my wife installed it thinking she was doing something else). No problems yet,but I have not rebooted since the install;what would happen if I uninstall SP1?

aris2747
February 28th, 2011, 07:22
I have 2 computers running Windows 7, I installed SP1 on both. One computer, which needed a rebuild, would not boot after the install. The other computer is running just fine, thank you.

aris2747

Ickie
February 28th, 2011, 07:48
I am back to before sp-1 and all is running fine.

Z-IanMCD
February 28th, 2011, 07:51
I have three machines running Win 7 professional 64 bit, upgraded them all to SP1, and all three are running like they should.

apart from a slower boot time after the first reboot (which is normal), everything is running brilliantly.

I hope everything works out for all of you!

kilo delta
February 28th, 2011, 08:51
I have three machines running Win 7 professional 64 bit, upgraded them all to SP1, and all three are running like they should.

apart from a slower boot time after the first reboot (which is normal), everything is running brilliantly.

I hope everything works out for all of you!

Same here ...I've installed SP1 on 6 machines over the weekend without issue.

Z-IanMCD
February 28th, 2011, 08:59
I have SP1 installed (didn't plan on it but my wife installed it thinking she was doing something else). No problems yet,but I have not rebooted since the install;what would happen if I uninstall SP1?

IMHO, if everything is running fine, there is no reason to go back.

The reasons why other people, in casu ickie, have had a bad experience can be varied. (software related, or even hardware)

If your rig is still running as it should, keep the SP1, if only for security reasons.

BTW, I am an IT technician for the federal govt of the country where I live.

Ickie
February 28th, 2011, 11:09
my laptop i upgraded on Tuesday and it is fine, I think sp1 doesn't like nvidia chips, both video cards were high end gtx cards and the drivers were up to date, may i add my asus MB has nvidia chips on it too. I was certainly was having a video issue, total darkness, not even would it post the bios. It took my disk to fix this and 4 hours of my time, and I was swearing the whole time, lol. I musta broke the second commandment 1000 times

lefty
February 28th, 2011, 14:38
Im running a (now ancient) 8800GTX - SP1 on my 64-bit Win7 has caused no problems.

Ferry_vO
February 28th, 2011, 14:52
Had major problems with SP1 myself, turned out to be most likely the Anti virus software (Panda) that messed up the install. Needed a few attempts to roll back and uninstall both SP1 and Panda. After removing both everything was fine. On the second attempt I installed SP1 first and then reinstalled Panda. It's working fine now!

Z-IanMCD
March 1st, 2011, 08:16
Had major problems with SP1 myself, turned out to be most likely the Anti virus software (Panda) that messed up the install. Needed a few attempts to roll back and uninstall both SP1 and Panda. After removing both everything was fine. On the second attempt I installed SP1 first and then reinstalled Panda. It's working fine now!

Ickie, Ferry has a point there! What security are you running on your rigs? Moreover, did you try to boot in safe mode after the mishap??

Lastly, what is the build of your Win7??

Ickie
March 1st, 2011, 12:55
I had no video to boot to, I have always use AVG Pro

FlyingFinn
March 1st, 2011, 17:18
I've had problems after my attempt to install SP1 failed due to unknown reasons.. and my comp hasn't behaved normally since then, might do a system restore.

FlyingFinn
March 2nd, 2011, 05:12
System Restore helped. now everything works as it should.. for now. Funny, that Microsofts own updates mess up the comp..