PDA

View Full Version : NZXT Phantom Chassis

Stratobat
February 27th, 2011, 14:28
Hey Guys,

A friend told be about this chassis yesterday and I thought I'd check it out :cool:

- http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/crafted_series/phantom

Does anybody have this chassis?

Regards,
Stratobat

GT182
March 10th, 2011, 07:05
Nice case Strat. Almost like my Cool Master 922HAF case. http://coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?category_id=19&product_id=2919

I got mine thru CompUSA for under 100.00. Excellent mid tower case that does a super job on cooling... especially with H-50 liquid cooling.

Stratobat
March 17th, 2011, 08:06
Hey GT182,

I like the look of the Cooler Master HAF 922 :cool:

Do you have the one with the mesh or window side panel? Are there any dust filters?

Regards,
Stratobat

stansdds
March 18th, 2011, 01:51
I'd rate the CoolerMaster cooling fan arrangement as superior. Having intake fans on the front, exhaust fans on the back and top seems to create a much smoother and more efficient airflow than intake fans on the side of the case. I've tried both styles of cooling over the years and that's just my experience.

GT182
March 20th, 2011, 16:58
Hey GT182,

I like the look of the Cooler Master HAF 922 :cool:

Do you have the one with the mesh or window side panel? Are there any dust filters?

Regards,
Stratobat

Mine has the mesh side cover so you can put another fan in it. Doesn't come with one but at leas you can add one or two if you want to.

That's the only bad thing about this case... no dust filters for the front intake fan.

Ferry_vO
March 24th, 2011, 05:14
The HAF922 (And it's bigger brother the 932) are indeed very well ventilated but the downside is that it sucks in more dust than my vacuum cleaner! The fine mesh behind the front grills keeps most of it out but I still need to clean those from the outside with the vacuum cleaner twice a week. The PSU intake in the bottom of the case could use an airfilter as well. It is overall very well designed and built though and quiet enough for my taste, despite the seven fans in total. Those two 200mm. fans move enough air to cause a draft beneath my desk.

It is a nice piece of eye candy too, with the colour leds in the fans, thew powder coated sides, its design and the size. At the annual FS Weekend I bring my own computer, and when I place it on the table I get a lot of questions about it!

That NZXT case looks OK, but I don't think the white would fit in my home.

Stratobat
April 1st, 2011, 18:40
Hey Ferry,

How do you clean out the dust from the inside?

Compressed air or do you use a brush attachment for your vacuum cleaner?

I know Antec and NZXT include air filters in some of their chassis' but do you guys know of any other manufacturers that include them?

Regards,
Stratobat

stansdds
April 2nd, 2011, 10:20
I generally use a Dust Buster or vacuum cleaner. You can blow it out with compressed air, but then all that dust is simply back into the air. Make sure you don't allow compressed air or a vacuum to spin any cooling fans. Allowing them to spin turns them into electricity generators, the current can back feed into the motherboard and fry it.

Oh, and I prevent a whole lot of dust from entering my Antec 900 case by taping used clothes dryer sheets over all the intake fan opening and the side vent.

OleBoy
April 3rd, 2011, 07:57
Oh, and I prevent a whole lot of dust from entering my Antec 900 case by taping used clothes dryer sheets over all the intake fan opening and the side vent.

Something I've done is get bulk polyfill and cut it to fit. It can be got at the fabric shops and bought by the yard. Cheap stuff, and can be purchased in 1/4inch thickness. Lets air in, keeps dust out. You can even velcro them in for quick removal, or glue small magnets to it for adhesion to metal surfaces. Oh, also at the fabric/craft shops, magnetic sheeting=no tape

Ferry_vO
June 4th, 2011, 03:37
Hey Ferry,

How do you clean out the dust from the inside?

Oops, kinda lost track of this thread..

I use the vacuum on the outside two times a week, using the brush to clear the filters from the front, and twice a year I remove the side panel to clean the CPU cooler and the rest using the same brush.

Today I installed a new videocard (GTX560 Ti) and cleaned the inside a bit more thorough. I removed both side panels (Which are some of the best I've had the pleasure of working with; no force required to slide them off and no sharp edges.) and removed the front as well. The front panel is a bit tricky as it is held in place by six tiny screws so I needed the flexible attachment for my screwdriver to remove all of them. With the screws out you'll need to pop of the top (Four plastic clamps) to remove the panel. Once this is off you can remove the filter and clean it.
I removed the three chassis' fans as well and cleaned those too. The front one (200 mm!) is made of translucent plastic and doesn't feel as sturdy as the top fan of the same size.

While I was doing this I used my cell phone to take a few shots of the partially disassembled case:

It's a lot quieter now with all the dust gone !