PDA

View Full Version : 'The Wonderful World Of Disney'

Panther_99FS
February 27th, 2011, 08:04
Family TV sure has changed over years...

b4UBhDxG3yc

ttw1buV1GHY

crashaz
February 27th, 2011, 08:22
Yep good times there.... well other than watching 'Old Yeller'. :icon_lol:

Jagdflieger
February 27th, 2011, 12:42
Yep, "Old Yeller" was a bit of a downer. Still, Sunday evenings were always brighter with the "Wonderful World of Disney," especially back when we only had four channels to choose from.

CADFather
February 27th, 2011, 14:43
Yep, "Old Yeller" was a bit of a downer. Still, Sunday evenings were always brighter with the "Wonderful World of Disney," especially back when we only had four channels to choose from.

You had four, I only had three I feel so cheated. Oh wait, that just means I didn't have to turn through as many channels as you did, nevermind.

Jagdflieger
February 27th, 2011, 16:43
Ha ha! No remote either. We actually had to get up, go to the black and white TV and manually change the channel. Oh the horror of it all.:jump:

Panther_99FS
February 27th, 2011, 18:40
. Still, Sunday evenings were always brighter with the "Wonderful World of Disney,"

This much is definitely true! :jump:

Willy
February 27th, 2011, 18:40
I remember watching Disney in B&W as a kid. We only got 3 channels if the weather was right. 2 normally and only one at times.

yank51
February 27th, 2011, 19:45
Ha ha! No remote either. We actually had to get up, go to the black and white TV and manually change the chanel. Oh the horror of it all.:jump:

Yup, and wiggle the tuning dial after ....:jump:

Jagdflieger
February 27th, 2011, 20:16
Yeah, and then play with the rabbit ears antenna to finally get a clear signal.

Panther_99FS
February 27th, 2011, 20:21
We had aluminum foil....:bump:

Willy
February 27th, 2011, 20:52
Wiring a straightened out coat hanger to lengthen the "ears" also helped.

stiz
February 27th, 2011, 21:38
Ha ha! No remote either. We actually had to get up, go to the black and white TV and manually change the channel. Oh the horror of it all.:jump:

my first ever TV was a 15" monstor .. true it was in colour, but i loved going up to change the channel (which went up to 9, allthough the UK only had 5 stations!) and when pushing in the button for the channel it would go "CLONK!!!!!" the screen would fill with white noise for a second, then the picture would be displayed ... great fun .. specialy at night when your little brother is trying to sleep only to keep hearing "CLONK!!!" then being told it was the monster in the cuboard :icon_lol:

and nowadays not only is there naf all on the 999 channels to watch, but you dont even get the stasifaction of wondering if your TV is gonna blow any minute .. and i dread to think what hitting the top of a modern day TV would do to it! :bump:

brad kaste
February 28th, 2011, 05:44
Yeah, and then play with the rabbit ears antenna to finally get a clear signal.
We were fortunate enough to have an outdoor antenna mounted onto the chimney. However, with those early vacuum tubes TV's you never knew when a tube would burn out and give off that dreaded 'electrical smell.' Unless one was handy enough in going into the inside of the set to replace the culprit tube,...a phone call was made to the local TV repair man. Truly,...he was a welcome sight.

Panther_99FS
February 28th, 2011, 08:39
Wiring a straightened out coat hanger to lengthen the "ears" also helped.

:jump::jump::jump:

brad kaste
February 28th, 2011, 08:50
I say dash all this HD stuff,...smart phones, cable/dish TV,...and internet. We should go back to analog,....black and white vacuum tube TVs ,....and rabbit ear antennas wrapped off with crumbled strips of aluminum foil. ....On 2nd thought.......http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon26.gif

n4gix
February 28th, 2011, 10:59
Remember the earliest "remote controls" that used tuned metal bars to generate the "up" and "down" tones, such as the Zenith Space Commander 600 remote control?

Zenith was the first to invent remote controls, and was responsible for the new slang word "clicker."

mfitch
February 28th, 2011, 21:37
If you yearn for tube technology you can get audio equipment (amplifier) with tubes. They produce a cleaner sound than chips do. Of course they will cost you quite a bit.

crashaz
February 28th, 2011, 22:35

Yes Dad knew me as his son... but also as the TV remote control..... I was probably a little expensive for that role only.:icon_lol: