PDA

View Full Version : Turbine Duke Out Now

wallyboard
February 27th, 2011, 06:37
Stand alone or upgrade from B60;

http://realairsimulations.com/home.php?page=home

monk1
February 27th, 2011, 06:53
Excellent! Anyone try it yet? Screenies?

Tracon
February 27th, 2011, 06:54
Oh my word someone do tell me how the frames are!

flyingip
February 27th, 2011, 07:18
YAY!! - grabs quickly for his credit card - :salute:

BOOM
February 27th, 2011, 07:19
SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Downloading now!!! THX for the Wonderful News!!!!:jump:

........and the rumor was true,"Release in February"

pilottj
February 27th, 2011, 07:55
YEAH!!! You have no idea how long I have been wanting to see these words posted here:ernae: I even took a little bit of an FSX hiatus until this release. :)

Cheers
TJ

Rezabrya
February 27th, 2011, 08:19
Too bad I can't afford it until the 1st of next month :(

You will all have to post reviews and screenshots to tide me over until then.

crashaz
February 27th, 2011, 08:32
Heck yeah!! Lets see some pics and your thoughts from those grabbing it now..some of us have to wait!!

Thanks!!:wavey:

ryanbatc
February 27th, 2011, 09:06
I'm at work but I will post when I get home in 2 hrs unless someone beats me to it...

FPS... not quite as good as Carenado's latest, but not as bad as Mustang/PMDG etc

Here's a quick breakdown of my payware against default C172 VC. I always conduct tests without vsync and all traffic, weather, and autogen is off. Test mid day at a 60% vc zoom at Edwards, avionics powered up.

Carenado 1st gen stuff (Arrow/Seneca/Cherokee/Mooney) = equal with stock plane
Carenado Bonaza F33 = 80% of C172 (ie I lose about 20% fps compared to default c172)
Lotus L39 = 75%
Orbx Lancair = 70%
RA 1st gen stuff (Scout pack, SF260 etc) = nearly equal or 90%
RA piston Duke = 70%
RA Turbine Duke = 65% (with new VC options enabled, otherwise same as piston)
LevelD 767 = 60%
ES Citation X = 55%
F1 Mustang = 50%

Obviously, others will get different results but I notice this stuff because I'm not running the latest n greatest Sandy Bridge CPU :) If you have a somewhat modern PC you'll be just fine with the Turbine Duke. My system is circa late 07 early 08 so I'm starting to notice the increase in FSX modeling and decrease in my fps LOL

paulb
February 27th, 2011, 09:08
I am not going to buy it yet, but I know that I will - sometime in the not too distant future. Realair are one of the very best 'manufacturers' IMHO. Despite all of my recent aircraft purchases I still use their Spitfires a lot of the time. I even go back to the (pretty old) SF260 some of the time.

The turbine will make it most attractive for me - lots of power for shorter take-offs ;)

glennc
February 27th, 2011, 09:11
No photos or numbers - just a big "mwuuu-Haaa-Haaa". She's a sweetie. Like Ryan, I'm flying a Sandy Bridge machine, but mine's new. The new Duke is butter smoothe. I think the PT-6A modeling is spot on. As usual, Real Air can do no wrong.

By the way, time to stickie this.

Glenn

papab
February 27th, 2011, 09:12
I choose the dusty & dirty windows...
Cork,Ireland,GEX Europe-FPS set at 40-shots were between 34-38 FPS

papab
February 27th, 2011, 09:18
What a fantastic model....see the "dirty" window in the last shot?
Another winner from the Real Air Team:salute:

The shots were in Cork,Ireland
GEX Europe-FPS set at 40, these shots were between 34-38 FPS!!!

Rick

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/misc/pencil.png
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/misc/pencil.png

doublecool
February 27th, 2011, 09:27
This looks like a must have ... :applause:

Between the P-51 and Spitfire it will be next month :kilroy:

wallyboard
February 27th, 2011, 09:28
Had her up for 1.5hrs and my frames expectations are about on par with the post above, but pretty much close to the non-turbine. Once up in the air though, what a pleasant experience. Stable and remarkably responsive. Never did like the drone of turbines, but I'll have to get used to this!

Take-off and landing are very similar to the piston, and landing (I inadvertently had selected the shorter dirt runway at Kingroy AUS) I figured why not. Perfect touchdown, a bit hot, but F2 reversers were smooth and predictable.

She's a hoot for sure!

Cheers
Larry

thunder100
February 27th, 2011, 09:48
Oh my word someone do tell me how the frames are!

In average my rig runs arround 25FPS(win 7 Nvidia ACC SP2)

The Turbine Duke(as the B60) does a 30 in outside views and a 21 in VC(B60 a bit higher in VC(22FPS) maybe the turbine instruments)

Roland

BOOM
February 27th, 2011, 10:35
She's fantastic!! I find performance FPS wise to be on par with her piston sister or a touch better,The VC is Incredible!!! and The Sounds are...........AMAZING!!!!! You can even pretend to be a mini C-17 and "MoonWalk" backwards with reverse prop!!:jump:
32400 3240132402

ryanbatc
February 27th, 2011, 11:37
A few pics at dusk (yeah I turned off most the settings cause my PC is old school)... my favorite time to fly!

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/Untitle1d.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/Untitle1d13.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/Untitle1d9.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/Untitle1d12.jpg

papab
February 27th, 2011, 12:06
Sticky?

Kiwikat
February 27th, 2011, 12:23
I'm having a pretty major issue at startup. When my left engine starts it goes to 100% throttle and spins me around in circles. I have no control with my X52 throttle. The right engine is fine. I just keep mashing buttons until I can get the left engine to go back to idle. Last time I started her up I spun around about a dozen times...

I have also had some prop animation problems as well. Occasionally the prop disk will stop spinning.

Any ideas?

papab
February 27th, 2011, 12:28
Maybe a corrupt install?
Uninstall /ccleaner and try again...

If not fixed drop Rob an email from the support aea

I sent him one and got an answer back in less than an hour

Rick

monk1
February 27th, 2011, 12:29
I'm having a pretty major issue at startup. When my left engine starts it goes to 100% throttle and spins me around in circles. I have no control with my X52 throttle. The right engine is fine. I just keep mashing buttons until I can get the left engine to go back to idle. Last time I started her up I spun around about a dozen times...

I have also had some prop animation problems as well. Occasionally the prop disk will stop spinning.

Any ideas?

I had the same issue Kiwikat. I decided to try starting it with the RPM levers down near feather and they started fine. I think the manual says to put them at 100% but not sure that's correct. Or I did something else wrong.

Having said that, OUTSTANDING model. And yeah, this thread needs a sticky.

ryanbatc
February 27th, 2011, 12:34
Hmmm I have my parking brake set, and I do get a bit of surge but not drastic like you guys are getting...

It may be an issue with the throttle because in the past my CH throttle has given me issues similar to what you describe in other planes.

Have you tried unplugging your controller (just for test purposes) and see if the problem happens without it?

edit: Oh also, this may be redundant, but check your realism settings against what they describe in the manual.

skyhawka4m
February 27th, 2011, 13:20
No issues here at all...she's awesome and a great plane to fly.,

robrealair
February 27th, 2011, 14:30
If you get odd behaviour on start up please try the following:

* Check that your throttle control is calibrated so that zero throttle really is zero (hover the mouse on the throttle with tool-tips enabled and it will readout the current percentage.

* Follow the start up procedure per the manual which is:

1. Prop levers full forward. Condition levers FULLY back. Parking brakes set. Throttle zero.

2. Press start switch, wait till Ng% is 12% or above then push the condition lever forward to LOW idle, no further.

3. Wait for prop rpm to settle.

4. Start next engine.

You can do the whole thing pressing the standard CTR E. In fact there will be little forward movement if you start either way even without brakes on, provided the condition levers are not pushed beyond LOW idle.

Hope this helps.

Rob - RealAir Simulations

Kiwikat
February 27th, 2011, 14:48
Thanks for the tips Rob. I'll give it another try soon.

FAC257
February 27th, 2011, 15:13
How does the "upgrade" vs "stand-alone" affect your existing non-turbo Duke?

Does the "upgrade" over-write the Duke-60, or do you still end up with both versions of the aircraft?

Thanks
FAC

BOOM
February 27th, 2011, 15:27
Yes,Your B-60 Piston Duke stays the same.It remains unaffected.

FAC257
February 27th, 2011, 15:34
Very cool! :)

Thanks again.
FAC

glennc
February 27th, 2011, 20:56
Kiwikat,

Could you be hot starting? Be sure the condition levers (Mixture to any piston types) are all the way back, ignition on, then the starter. When Ng goes to at least 12%, then bring the condition lever to low idle. That lights the fire. The new manual describes the process but doesn't explain (at least in the checklists) what a hot start is. I understand it, but can't explain it very well. Hopefully, there is a real PT-6A pilot here that can.

Glenn

pbearsailor
February 27th, 2011, 21:33
Kiwikat,

Could you be hot starting? Be sure the condition levers (Mixture to any piston types) are all the way back, ignition on, then the starter. When Ng goes to at least 12%, then bring the condition lever to low idle. That lights the fire. The new manual describes the process but doesn't explain (at least in the checklists) what a hot start is. I understand it, but can't explain it very well. Hopefully, there is a real PT-6A pilot here that can.

Glenn

Hot starts are pretty rare on PT-6A's, but what you want to watch during the start sequence is temperature after you move the condition levers out of cutoff at 12% to light the fire. If you go beyond temp limits on the start, you'd just move the condition lever back to idle cutoff and abort the start.

The 12% figure that it stabilizes at is an FSX glitch. Real world, you'd never attempt a start with that low an N1 number and you'd always see something more like 20% unless you really had a flat battery. 12% real world would give you a hot start, but all the turboprops I've seen in FSX have it the same way, so I'm sure Rob couldn't do anything about it in his flight model.

One other thing that works well on the surge at startup is to start with the props in feather. Some real PT-6's normally start this way, Piper Cheyenne if I remember correctly, but I've done it many times in various PT-6 types. It's a good way to keep from blowing something behind you away when you start.

I've only flown the Realair version an hour or so, but I think Rob has done a great job with the turboprop modeling. Power lever response seems very close and to me it's about the best start sequence I've seen in FSX. It's a pretty cool airplane.

Real world wise, I was once flying for a company that operated King Air 90's and they acquired a company that had a Duke. Really pretty airplane, but all of us pilots were glad they didn't keep it as it was the piston version with those complicated geared engines. We liked our PT-6's. I'll bet the real world turbine Duke is quite an airplane. Only thing that strikes me on the specs is that fuel capacity is pretty low, so it doesn't have a lot of range. Quick bugger, though.

cheers,
steve :wavey:

robrealair
February 27th, 2011, 23:21
Hi Steve,

Yes you are right. FSX is hard coded not to get much beyond 13% Ng before you have to light the engines. I tried as much as possible to push this up to 15% and beyond, but FSX will not achieve this.

As you guessed, there are many hard coded turboprop parameters in FSX which defeat the most determined attempts to overcome them, but we worked very hard to get as much realism as possible in the start sequence, and general Ng/prop handling.

All the FSX turboprop flaws, and our dealing with them, are explained in the Duke's Flying Guide pdf file.

All the best,

Rob - RealAir

expat
February 28th, 2011, 02:51
starting it with the RPM levers down near feather and they started fine.

The problem of turbo props in FSX on start up surging and spinning around or racing across the airfield are well known and discussed and believed a known issue with the limits of modelling these engines in FS, as noted in this thread. Less likely to be your controller or realism settings.

The frequent cure is as quoted above, i.e. feather your props before start, and when ready to taxi ease them forward carefully. Familiar with the apparently accurate "hot start" procedures and failure modes modelled on the Aeroworx Super King Air for FS9. If you do hot start an engine the repair bill can be $150,000, which concentrates the mind . .

Anyone get near 300 knots and 4,000 fpm climb on this?

SirBenn21
February 28th, 2011, 03:00
Sticky!

Pay day must arrive soon!

Ben

av8erjm
February 28th, 2011, 05:07
just in case anyone is interested in the real life Turbo Duke have a look at Rocket Engineering at Felts Field in Spokane Wa

<CITE>www.rocketengineering.com</CITE>

ryanbatc
February 28th, 2011, 06:41
Anyone get near 300 knots and 4,000 fpm climb on this?

Yep, initial climb with 75% fuel and cold temps... maybe -10C. 4000 fpm at about 130-140kts.

Did 299 kts TAS at FL 250.

monk1
February 28th, 2011, 10:02
If you get odd behaviour on start up please try the following:

* Check that your throttle control is calibrated so that zero throttle really is zero (hover the mouse on the throttle with tool-tips enabled and it will readout the current percentage.

* Follow the start up procedure per the manual which is:

1. Prop levers full forward. Condition levers FULLY back. Parking brakes set. Throttle zero.

2. Press start switch, wait till Ng% is 12% or above then push the condition lever forward to LOW idle, no further.

3. Wait for prop rpm to settle.

4. Start next engine.

You can do the whole thing pressing the standard CTR E. In fact there will be little forward movement if you start either way even without brakes on, provided the condition levers are not pushed beyond LOW idle.

Hope this helps.

Rob - RealAir Simulations

Hi Rob,

I have all settings as listed in the manual, BUT, haven't recalibrated my throttle yet. I'll check that. I only had time for one quick flight then off to work so I haven't had much time with it. In either case, it works great starting them feathered in case I don't get the issue straightened out on my computer.

An outstanding model in every respect. Real Air has done it again!!!!!

papab
February 28th, 2011, 14:28
bump
Should really be a sticky....:jump:

monk1
February 28th, 2011, 17:28
bump
Should really be a sticky....:jump:

Ya got that right. :salute::bump:

papab
February 28th, 2011, 17:34
I agree....

Tracon
February 28th, 2011, 18:01
Bought my copy at lunch and just did my first flight. RealAir has clearly put a lot of effort into this model but the thing that really amazed me was the INCREDIBLE SOUNDS!

Great work RAS :salute:

robrealair
February 28th, 2011, 23:39
Bought my copy at lunch and just did my first flight. RealAir has clearly put a lot of effort into this model but the thing that really amazed me was the INCREDIBLE SOUNDS!

Great work RAS :salute:

Hi Tracon,

That's kind of you to mention. We did go to a great deal of trouble with the sounds, because we are aware that turboprop sounds can get very annoying if the balance is wrong. Just one tip here: If you want the "whine" to vary in balance between itself and the "drone" you can do this by adjusting the treble control on your speakers.

Kind Regards,

Rob - RealAir

robrealair
February 28th, 2011, 23:41
Hi Rob,

I have all settings as listed in the manual, BUT, haven't recalibrated my throttle yet. I'll check that. I only had time for one quick flight then off to work so I haven't had much time with it. In either case, it works great starting them feathered in case I don't get the issue straightened out on my computer.

An outstanding model in every respect. Real Air has done it again!!!!!

Hi Monk,

I think whether or not your throttle is calibrated, the key is to make sure it is zero by pressing F1, then to make sure the condition levers are not pushed more than LOW, low idle. That way you can start the engines even without brakes and you should only get a little forward movement. But brakes on is best.

Kind Regards,

Rob - Realair

expat
March 1st, 2011, 01:12
Bought it and love it. Sounds from inside the cockpit are great - higher frequency whines balanced with a deep bass drone - kind of how someone once described one of my old rock & roll bands!:d

Have a pretty punchy system, but as with the piston Duke, I find there is still a bit of texture load lag when switching from outside view to the VC, such that you can't see anything outside for at least several seconds - can turn your nice VFR approach into a suddenly unexpected one "under the hood."

Appreciate any settings tweaks people know of that help this without compromising too much graphics detail.

BOOM
March 1st, 2011, 02:56
I love the sounds aswell,That drone sound of the compressor/Turbine.Reminds me of the days I first started flight simming with Jane's F/A-18E SuperHornet.

Fantastic Aircraft!!! Well done RealAir!!!:salute:

pilottj
March 1st, 2011, 07:32
Absolutely awesome bird. LOL it sure does climb well :D Make sure you adjust your cabin alt before takeoff haha because you will get a cabin pressure warning light before you know it :jump:

Hey Rob, do you know if Sean is planning a paint kit for this bird? If not I might try to adapt my makeshift piston kit for it.

monk1
March 1st, 2011, 09:36
Hi Monk,

I think whether or not your throttle is calibrated, the key is to make sure it is zero by pressing F1, then to make sure the condition levers are not pushed more than LOW, low idle. That way you can start the engines even without brakes and you should only get a little forward movement. But brakes on is best.

Kind Regards,

Rob - Realair

Got it fixed Rob and everything is working perfectly now (yeah, it also helps to have the brakes set. Thought I did that the first time around but I didn't have 'em set :redface:). What an incredible model. Thanks!!!

alehead
March 2nd, 2011, 04:06
Beautiful in all aspects!

And a realistic engine/prop sound, i.e. throttling back does not affect the prop sound... I love the sound on changing the prop rpm from full fine pitch back to 2000 for climb, reminds me of a Lufthansa Flight Training Cheyenne leaving Heringsdorf on the island of Usedom on the German Baltic Coast, when it reached pattern altitude, they changed the rpm...

This is a definite keeper, and I really appreciate the 3D RXP integration. It just looks so much better than a 2D insert...

MD11X, RAS Duke 60/T, Spitfire MkI/II Accusim from A2A, J3 Cub from A2A, CatalinaX, P47 Accusim from A2A... so many aircraft, so little time!

Andrew

wiltzei
March 2nd, 2011, 04:51
Does she include AirbusX/D338/L-39/VRS style landing lights, and if not, do you have to select special landing light texture in REX?

How is night lightning in general? There seems to be currently only one screenshot showcasing it in Internet. http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/573_laugh.gif (http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/view-573_laugh.gif)

ryanbatc
March 2nd, 2011, 08:19
It's fine for me! No lotus-style lights. Though I don't use the stock landing lights.

joanvalley
March 2nd, 2011, 08:37
Fantastic product, it was definitely worth the wait. It ranks on my top 10 favorites along with some Iris, Lionheart and Carenado products, being the original piston Duke among there too. If there's anything I could improve, which there's not much by the way, I would add prop wash sounds and rumble to the back side of the plane, FSX cone sounds type of thing. Congratulations and hoping you release another fine model soon.

Jose.

shackleton_boy
March 3rd, 2011, 20:17
I love this aircraft :wiggle:

Tracon
March 3rd, 2011, 20:19
Why was the Turbine Duke released without a paint kit :(

robrealair
March 3rd, 2011, 23:22
Why was the Turbine Duke released without a paint kit :(

Well, no developer is obliged to make a paint kit, but I'm aware some do. Our first goal was to get the aircraft out, as bug free as possible. Making a paint kit for the Duke is not an overnight job. There are huge numbers of layers in the textures, and some proprietry methods. We have to take a lot of time getting reasonably good and useable templates.

Once we've ironed out any issues that might arise (and there are very few so far), we will start work on a paintkit. But the previous Duke had quite a few repaints, some posted here, which were superb, without the need for a paintkit.

Kind Regards,

Rob - RealAir

expat
March 4th, 2011, 00:17
Hi Rob,

Thanks + understood. Don't need to mention that repaints can be good for business! This is - another - great aircraft and I wholly recommend owning both the piston and turbine versions to anyone.

Separate issue, I am trying to do some simple rearranging of the center panel gps, radios, AP etc. I don't have or plan to get RealityXP but have some freeware and some of my own gauges that I would like to add to what is there is the free space avaiable, stack (freeware) GNS530 x 2 or with a GNS 430 etc. Nothing at all wrong with the default - I cannot resist tinkering and modding all my planes in FS as I know many others here do - it's a big part of the fun.

I "borrowed" the panel config for the RX 530 + 430 - which is the layout I am trying to achieve more or less - and made a new panel folder for this. I substituted my GPS units in the same locations but my 530 was inside the Realair 530 and all of the guages in the center panel did not re-arrange position as they should do for the Realair 530 + 430 set up per your images, i.e. they shoud be over on the left side. Any suggestions what else one needs to do to add gauges to the VC?

Thanks and regards,

expat

Tracon
March 4th, 2011, 05:53
Understood Rob. :salute:

robrealair
March 4th, 2011, 08:57
Hi Rob,

Thanks + understood. Don't need to mention that repaints can be good for business! This is - another - great aircraft and I wholly recommend owning both the piston and turbine versions to anyone.

Separate issue, I am trying to do some simple rearranging of the center panel gps, radios, AP etc. I don't have or plan to get RealityXP but have some freeware and some of my own gauges that I would like to add to what is there is the free space avaiable, stack (freeware) GNS530 x 2 or with a GNS 430 etc. Nothing at all wrong with the default - I cannot resist tinkering and modding all my planes in FS as I know many others here do - it's a big part of the fun.

I "borrowed" the panel config for the RX 530 + 430 - which is the layout I am trying to achieve more or less - and made a new panel folder for this. I substituted my GPS units in the same locations but my 530 was inside the Realair 530 and all of the guages in the center panel did not re-arrange position as they should do for the Realair 530 + 430 set up per your images, i.e. they shoud be over on the left side. Any suggestions what else one needs to do to add gauges to the VC?

Thanks and regards,

expat

Hi expat,

I can't guarantee a result on this but if you email Sean at RealAir he might be able to give some guidance. I'm no expert on gauge placement as I have other bits and pieces to do, but Sean might have a few tips!

All the best,

Rob - RealAir

expat
March 4th, 2011, 09:42
Will do + thanks Rob.

FAC257
March 6th, 2011, 05:41
Wooo Hoooo.....Rocket Launch!

IMO This is the best yet from the RA folks. What a great machine! :salute:

FAC

spotlope
March 6th, 2011, 08:13
I took it up for a nice cross-country flight from KCMW to Penticton, BC last night. As has been noted, this thing is a little rocket. Got it up to FL250 and was happily cruising above the Canadian Cascades when out of the blue my right engine shut down. No idea what happened to it - I'd been monitoring my gauges, and all seemed well. As I was futzing around trying to maintain my airspeed while simultaneously locating the nearest airfield and coaxing the dead engine back to life, my left engine stopped! Man, that is an eerie silence when you lose both mills. Thankfully, I was high enough to have some maneuvering room in my huge glider, and I found a suitable field and plummeted towards it. Ultimately, I miscalculated on the speed I'd need to maintain, and had a pretty rough landing just before the runway threshold. It's okay though, I was close enough for emergency workers to pull me from the wreckage. :salute:

Clearly, a visit back to the manual is in order. I've no clue why I lost both engines, but I'm game to try again.

joanvalley
March 6th, 2011, 11:12
The FAA will be knocking at your door any minute now... LOL!

robrealair
March 7th, 2011, 04:19
I took it up for a nice cross-country flight from KCMW to Penticton, BC last night. As has been noted, this thing is a little rocket. Got it up to FL250 and was happily cruising above the Canadian Cascades when out of the blue my right engine shut down. No idea what happened to it - I'd been monitoring my gauges, and all seemed well. As I was futzing around trying to maintain my airspeed while simultaneously locating the nearest airfield and coaxing the dead engine back to life, my left engine stopped! Man, that is an eerie silence when you lose both mills. Thankfully, I was high enough to have some maneuvering room in my huge glider, and I found a suitable field and plummeted towards it. Ultimately, I miscalculated on the speed I'd need to maintain, and had a pretty rough landing just before the runway threshold. It's okay though, I was close enough for emergency workers to pull me from the wreckage. :salute:

Clearly, a visit back to the manual is in order. I've no clue why I lost both engines, but I'm game to try again.

Hi Bill,

Glad you are enjoying the DukeT. Could be the oil temp. We took a little license with this feature as some Duke flyers tell us that the oil tends to be cool enough unless you are climbing with lots of power at low airspeed.

We included the oil doors, which have two positions, half and full open. This makes sure the oil is always below redline 100 degrees. It can creep up on you though even at altitude. The oil gauges are not best positioned (on the real Duke too) and you have to pull the prop levers away a little, or try another view, to see both of them.

All the best,

Rob - RealAir

spotlope
March 7th, 2011, 06:13
Thanks, Rob. The bit about oil temp had occurred to me - in fact, it's the only explanation I can think of. I'll have to keep an eye on those doors.

doublecool
March 7th, 2011, 15:03
spotlope,

A "Jag" paint would be fitting on her!!!

Your Bonanza F33A with your JAG is the only paint I can fly on her :wavey:

spotlope
March 7th, 2011, 17:02
spotlope,

A "Jag" paint would be fitting on her!!!

Your Bonanza F33A with your JAG is the only paint I can fly on her :wavey:
I agree that this one's calling out for a Jag paint. Once Sean has the paint kit done, I'll get on it.

JIMJAM
March 8th, 2011, 15:29
I own most all the Ra stuff but 35 bucks for a upgrade! That killed my impulse buy buzz real quick. No disrespect cause all of your products are top of the line but I guess I was expecting $15-$20. $35 puts my feeling of buying a "what the he**" upgrade to getting a entirely new plane.

monk1
March 8th, 2011, 15:56
I own most all the Ra stuff but 35 bucks for a upgrade! That killed my impulse buy buzz real quick. No disrespect cause all of your products are top of the line but I guess I was expecting $15-$20. $35 puts my feeling of buying a "what the he**" upgrade to getting a entirely new plane.

It is a new model for the most part, especially considering the difficulty in modeling turboprops in FS. IMHO it's well worth the money.

lawdawg
March 8th, 2011, 15:59
Well worth it, I fully agree!

JIMJAM
March 8th, 2011, 16:05
Oh I am sure it is alot of effort and I am also sure the plane is a gem. My only gripe about the piston was it put a real hurting on my system. My only gripe about the turbine is the price made me have to stop and think twice about hitting the "buy" button. Most times when that happens I blow it off and with my short attention span never consider it again. Maybe if some vids start popping up I will reconsider.

ryanbatc
March 8th, 2011, 18:30
It is a new model for the most part, especially considering the difficulty in modeling turboprops in FS. IMHO it's well worth the money.

+1 Think of it as paying $35 for a new plane. Most everything is different, except a few gauges.

expat
March 9th, 2011, 00:41
I have no regrets and glad to have both versions of the Duke. They really are very different animals and as a student pilot find this comparing these two types of GA flying very interesting. Plus they look and sound cool and have a very high immersion factor.

JIMJAM
March 9th, 2011, 11:37
A long high def vid just popped up on yt. I have been waiting for years for a Kingair but hearing these turbines is music to my ears. I'm in.

FAC257
March 9th, 2011, 14:40
After all this time since release of FSX, the only two remaining aircraft that felt I left behind and missed from FS9 were a B-29 and the Aeroworx King Air.

After the release of the Carenado C340 II and now this Duke Turbo, I reduced that "missing" list by one.

Between the two I have a chunkier sized twin and now twin turbines. The Aeroworx KA void has been satisfied on my end. :)

FAC

ryanbatc
March 9th, 2011, 15:06
Yep a king air 200 would be awesome. At one time F1 was working on one.... not sure of its status now... :(

chet twowolves
March 10th, 2011, 01:47
Hello.The turbine duke is outstanding.But when i open the door.Looking inside at the folding desk.At the bottom of the desk is a gap, you can see outside.Does anyone else see this.

JIMJAM
March 10th, 2011, 10:25
1st impressions. Took 2-100 mile A-B gps ifr flight plan hops. Like the Duke, the turbine puts the same amount of strain on my system. Activesky was really active with alot of storms,low clouds which did not help. 15-20 fps but smooth. The only real world planes I have any amount of time in are the Kingairs,Conquest and Mu-2s. When simming I am not a fly by the numbers kinda guy, its a break from reality for me, but everything felt right and reacted as one would expect it to. Thats really what counts imo. Like most turbines in FSX the most exciting operational phase is ground ops. While both feet were on the brakes "I thought" with Trackir I was looking down learning whats is where. I glance up and was a good 1/4 mile at the other end of the airport getting ready to cross the fence and go off roading. :redface: Thing needs a anchor to hold it down.
Sounds are great. The Duke is a good turbine challenge and will teach how to stay ahead of the power curve. Climbs like a BOOH but just do not get behind on that power and keep a eye on that airspeed especially when your setting up for landing.

vonstroheim
March 15th, 2011, 19:58
Yes the Real Air Simulations Turbine Duke is just wonderful! Here it is with another Rob Young's creation, in Texel from the amazing NL2000 freeware scenery:

33284 33285

Thank you Rob!

The Netherlands "NL2000 v4" scenery: nl-2000.com
Falcon 50 FSX by Lavigne, Banting, Young, Dantes: aquitaine.simulation.free.fr
Static Aircraft .mdl Maker: SAMM 1.0.0.7 by Don Grovestine

spotlope
March 15th, 2011, 20:16
It might be because of my controller calibration, but I'm not having any problem managing the Duke on the ground. As per the operation manual, I keep the props in full fine, and the condition lever in low idle, throttles to idle. In that configuration, it doesn't move at all for me. To start the taxi, I push the condition levers to full, leaving the throttles at idle. It starts gently moving forward at that point. If it starts to taxi a little too fast, I retard the condition levers somewhat. Until I'm lined up and ready to take off, I don't touch the throttles.

Anyone who's fighting to keep it under control in taxi, are you using this method, or some other?

doublecool
March 16th, 2011, 03:24
Start OK
Taxi OK
Right Engine blown on take off OK... wait a minute...Damn it!

Tower we have a problem!