PDA

View Full Version : Repurposing a Laptop and a LCD panel

OBIO
February 26th, 2011, 11:45
Okay,

I have a new system ordered, and have a new system ordered for my wife. So, that will leave her laptop (nearly 5 or 6 years old and kind of slow) and my 17" LCD panel with no real use. But, Deb came up with the idea of using her laptop as a bedroom DVD and Netflix entertainment center, hooked up to the 17 inch LCD. Great idea...will work and will save us about $300 over buying a DVD player and a Netflix ready LCD TV.

Now, the laptop had a port to hook to an external monitor. Cool.

Is it possible to remove the laptop's screen so that it is not in the way...and still have the laptop function fully? I am pretty sure I have heard of people doing this. The laptop needs cleaned out...dust and cat and dog and such...so I need to pull it apart anyhow...so while I am in there can I unhook the screen and still have the laptop work?

Tim

Tako_Kichi
February 26th, 2011, 11:50
I guess that depends on the laptop brand/model and whether it will run with the built in screen disconnected/disabled.

Can you not just shut the lid or move the laptop to one side if it is in the way of the external monitor?

If the laptop is one of those that goes to 'sleep' if the lid is closed can you easily remove the lever/arm that triggers the microswitch when the lid is closed so that it continues to run with the lid shut?

OBIO
February 26th, 2011, 16:53
Yep, the laptop goes to "sleep" when the lid is closed. I could remove the little button thingie so that the laptop keeps running with the lid shut...which would be nice having the "lid" as it will keep the dust out of the keyboard when not in use. I will give this route a try before I try to remove the screen.

Tim