PDA

View Full Version : ETO Airfield Question

swpierce
February 26th, 2011, 06:36
Can anyone tell me if there is an airfield facility in ETO that has a single paved runway?
Thanks.

Frosty
February 27th, 2011, 08:08
Can't speak for the others, but the ALG's have just one runway (PSP - or rather a crude redention of it. Seems CFS3 doesn't take that sort of high resolution ground tiles)

swpierce
February 27th, 2011, 18:25
Can't speak for the others, but the ALG's have just one runway (PSP - or rather a crude redention of it. Seems CFS3 doesn't take that sort of high resolution ground tiles)

I think that ones you are referring to have grass runways.

Frosty
February 27th, 2011, 23:50
Nope, they really got PSP runways. ;-) But I meant the ALGs on the continent, not those in the UK! I did them so I think I know...

swpierce
March 1st, 2011, 08:09
I was just checking on locations listed as ALG in my global layer file. Do you think that I may be running an older version of ETO and your bases are in an update?

Frosty
March 1st, 2011, 08:37
I am running ETO v1.40.
But it could also be that you are looking in the wrong Era. The following three generic ALGs are to be found in the 1945 Era only:

A-2 Fighter air strip (France)
A-21 Transport air strip (France)
Y-29 Bomber air strip (Luxemburg)

It might also be that you are referring to the temporary air strips that were constructed in the southern part of the UK, mainly for benefit of the Ninth Air Force. They were also called ALGs. I was referring to the short-lived temporary airfields constructed on the continent to support the advance through France and the Low Countries. I based them on an official document showing the plan for each of the ALG-types. It showed them with one runway while in reality many ALGs were constructed with the more familiar layout of two or three runways. See attached document:

swpierce
March 1st, 2011, 10:55
I'll bet that I was looking in the 1944 era. I will check '45. Thanks for the info.