PDA

View Full Version : Project Viet Nam Scenery Problem

expat
February 24th, 2011, 13:55
Done two fresh uinstall/re-installs. It worked OK for a while back when it came out. Any ideas what is doing this? May be just around VVDN Da Nang, but that is where I spend a lot of time.

delta_lima
February 24th, 2011, 14:33
Sounds like there's an exclude bgl somehow didn't get installed. Addon bgls are used to ensure stock autogen and/or other terrain features get "erased" from the footprint of the new scenery.

I haven't installed the VN scenery in my new install. But I'd completely uninstall it and reinstall - taking note in the instructions regarding any landclass scenery. I'm not at my pc to test - but that's my best guess.

dl

mal998
February 24th, 2011, 16:21
It may have something to do with running Orbx scenery or possibly using some add-on mesh for S.E. Asia.

roger-wilco-66
February 24th, 2011, 22:14
You also might want to check where the entries in the scenery database are located and in which priority they are arranged. There might be sitting something conficting with a higher priority on top of it.
AFAIK (can't check from here) the Vietnam scenery has it's own mesh, so any third party meshes (e.g. FSG2010 et al) must be arranged in a lower priority.

I'd do a fresh install according to the instructions and check the entries.

Cheers,
Mark

expat
February 25th, 2011, 03:43
Thanks mates for the helpful suggestions.

Have done two re-installs and have the scenery at the top of the scenery list (and in the order per the install instructions).

There seems some tug of war between the autogen and the exclude that should be in the add on VVDN AFCAD bgl. First attempt to open the new airport in ADEX I had some difficulty, but eventually it opened and using fault checker nothing seemed wrong. Saved and recompiled. When I went back to Da Nang - interestingly - for about 1 or two minutes it all looked clear of the autogen but then it flashed once or twice and reappeared. Funny, I don't remember all those autogen buildings so dense and everywhere over the default Da Nang but think the Project scenery moved the location of the airfield which may explain it.

I have a freeware (simaviation) Asia Pacific mesh which covers Vietnam (and adds much to it but also to the Solomons so want to keep it) but with the Project Viet Nam sceneries at the very top of my add on scenery list, any of its mesh should take priority.

Just before trying the re-install, I had some VERY weird LSD-hallucination-like artifacts - e.g. trees on the instrument panel, clouds textured looking like buildings, sky turning purple then black but with white window shapes, etc. Where are my Jefferson Airplane records . .

Will try some other things:

uncheck the addon scenery and reload with the default Da Nang, then try it again with the add on scenery checked and see what that does.

de-select Orbx scenery (though only have freeware trial Seattle area so that would be a strange cause).

other ??

Again, thanks for your assistance.

expat

roger-wilco-66
February 25th, 2011, 05:25
[...]
I have a freeware (simaviation) Asia Pacific mesh which covers Vietnam (and adds much to it but also to the Solomons so want to keep it)

[...]

Just before trying the re-install, I had some VERY weird LSD-hallucination-like artifacts - e.g. trees on the instrument panel, clouds textured looking like buildings, sky turning purple then

[...]

For FSX Solomon 1943 you don't need a third party mesh, since I included the highest available mesh (without voids, spikes and other irregularities) in the scenery. I believe Xavier did the same thing in the Vietnam scenery. But when you position the aforementioned Asia/Pacific mesh below those specific addons in the scenery db, it is overridden anyhow, so it won't hurt.

You might have another problem here, when you mention the trees on your instrument panels (I'd love to see that :jump: ). That sounds like a massive 3d problem (messed up scenery.cfg, terrain or fsx.cfg ? Do you have an older backups of them you could try? ).

You also might want to check what is sitting in your addon_scenery\scenery folder, maybe you have entries in there that are conflicting with those in your dedicated Vietnam scenery folders (happened to me in the Solomon development and almost drove me nuts).

Cheers,
Mark

Sieggie
February 25th, 2011, 05:47
I don't think that order can be relied on totally for mesh and landclass. I think that if you specify a mesh resolution that is higher then the top layer and fsx finds a mesh lower in the stack that is higher res, it will use the higher res regardless of its position in the stack. I vaguely remember Justin saying something about not removing lower res meshes because they could be called by FSX under certain circumstances. So if the new Mesh / Landclass is higher res it may take charge regardless. Maybe someone with lots of Mesh / Landclass experience can chime in on this.

Dave

expat
February 25th, 2011, 06:01
Thanks Mark,

when you position the aforementioned Asia/Pacific mesh below those specific addons in the scenery db, it is overridden anyhow, so it won't hurt.

Agree and my i.e. your Solomons scenery seems to be nicely settled - absolutely brilliant each time I go there by the way - using this config priortiy so should be the same for Viet Nam.

It really seems local only to the Da Nang area. Even the smaller airport near the beach looks OK and flew out of the next large base W-SW of VVDN (can't remember what it's called) and it was fine, the scenery and mesh were fine, and there were Thuds, F-100's and A-3's flying about too - until on short final into Da Nang and all the houses and trees appeared to be everywhere (ugh!) - so I tend to think it is an AFCAD/bgl specific related issue perhaps. When you have duplicate airports I find you end up not getting all the addon buildings. Here all the ariport components are present, taxiways, buildings, GSE, AI, BUT it is like the exclude built into the AFCAD is not stong enough to "repel" what looks to be like default autogen. Have downloaded and reinstalled at least twice the Da Nang AFCAD/bgl so no reason to believe why the exclude files in there are not worknig correctly.

sounds like a massive 3d problem (messed up scenery.cfg, terrain or fsx.cfg ? Do you have an older backups of them you could try? ).

I do. But usually those are the one's I was trying fix something else by creating a new one. No harm removing and backing up the current and letting create a new fsx.cfg to see what happens. Thing is, the sim is performing very well everywhere else with pretty high loads on the processor (AI, around cities, etc). I have not had the LSD-like things mentioned above since the reinstall yesteday, just all of the stuff on the runways etc in the screenies.

in your addon_scenery\scenery folder, maybe you have entries in there that are conflicting with those in your dedicated Vietnam scenery folders (happened to me in the Solomon development and almost drove me nuts).

My instinct is that it more likely something like this. Done repeated searches for duplicate "VVDN" AFCADS, but only the right one shows up but will try this next.

b/t/w - I can just imagine with all those islands, airfields and objects what you must have gone through with the Solomons. Last time Mal and I did a MP mission in Hellcats out there I remarked that I don't know how you did it - there are so many little detailed surprises hidden away to enjoy when you come across them.

Regards,

expat

Meshman
February 25th, 2011, 06:28
So if the new Mesh / Landclass is higher res it may take charge regardless.

Mesh and land classification are two different things within Flight Simulator, just to clarify that.

Disclaimer: "That I've seen!" Mesh has no function other than to supply elevation data and FSX will use the highest it finds. If there are two or more similar resolutions found, then layering in the Scenery Library will apply.

I don't have this scenery package, but it looks like a "cvx" file is missing which would apply flattening and/or autogen removal. Even the airport tool that handles such things makes separate files from the airport file, as these require the use of two different compilers from the SDKs. I can't make a revised airport and add in roads and have one file or combine the two, due to compiler functions being different.

If the Viet Nam scenery is up at the top of the Scenery Library then no other land class file would impact it, *IF* there is a proper CVX file to flatten and/or exclude autogen.

Is the scenery package the latest? Were there any patches done? That's where I'd start from.

expat
February 25th, 2011, 10:50
Disabled an extra or erroneous exclude file and all looks right and seems stable.

You have all helped me solve this = many thanks guys!