PDA

View Full Version : Skyunlimited still around?

ThinkingManNeil
February 23rd, 2011, 06:32
Went over to look at Skyunlimited Productions' website to check if anybody'd posted new skins for their AT-6 but it looks like the site's been suspended (http://www.skyunlimited.net/cgi-sys/suspendedpage.cgi). Any word on this?

N.

racartron
February 23rd, 2011, 07:33
Wow!! I was just there yesterday and it was up.

racartron
February 23rd, 2011, 15:19
Whatever the cause, it is now back.

Zoren
February 23rd, 2011, 17:33
http://www.skyunlimited.net/

This one just worked for me...

X_eidos2
February 24th, 2011, 09:27
SkyUnlimited is still around -but not very active at the moment.
We had a paint contest for the FS9 Texan/Harvard with a $50 prize, even offered a free download so people without a copy of plane could still participate, and we got a grand total of three entrants. The textures submitted were fine, but the fact that there were only 3 was very discouraging, at least to me anyway.

We have all the parts in place for a FSX contest - but if the response is going to be so small, why bother.

As soon as I finish work on my current movie project, I plan to go back and have the custom sound pack added to the FSX version of the Texan/Harvard planes. It's the same custom sound system that was added to the FS9 versions. It will be a free upgrade for all current owners.

Depending on how much it costs, I'll probably make another upgrade to the LT-6G so that it can fire smoke rockets once the VRS Tacpack SDK is made available.

WarHorse47
February 24th, 2011, 16:00
The Texan was the only SU aircraft I did not have until this thread. Just got it last night and am having all kinds of fun. :wiggle:

I found a bunch of repaints as well, and am going to try my hand at converting some from FSX to FS9 sometime this weekend.

Should keep me out of trouble... maybe.
:ernae:

--WH

ThinkingManNeil
February 25th, 2011, 03:52
SkyUnlimited is still around -but not very active at the moment.
We had a paint contest for the FS9 Texan/Harvard with a $50 prize, even offered a free download so people without a copy of plane could still participate, and we got a grand total of three entrants. The textures submitted were fine, but the fact that there were only 3 was very discouraging, at least to me anyway.

We have all the parts in place for a FSX contest - but if the response is going to be so small, why bother.

As soon as I finish work on my current movie project, I plan to go back and have the custom sound pack added to the FSX version of the Texan/Harvard planes. It's the same custom sound system that was added to the FS9 versions. It will be a free upgrade for all current owners.

Depending on how much it costs, I'll probably make another upgrade to the LT-6G so that it can fire smoke rockets once the VRS Tacpack SDK is made available.

Well, I'm certainly glad to see SUP is still alive and kicking as I thoroughly enjoy the T-6, but like you I'm also disappointed at the lack of skins created for it in FS9 of which I've only found a very few. I've seen mention over at the SUP's forum pages of others but can't find them (Toni Hiltunen did an especially nice orange and white "sunburst" civi scheme that I liked but was only made available in FSX).

WH I do hope you'll be posting some of your FS9 examples here :)

N.

dhasdell
February 25th, 2011, 06:23
I don't have the Texan either. Is there an RAF/RCAF version?

WarHorse47
February 25th, 2011, 06:34
WH I do hope you'll be posting some of your FS9 examples here :)

Well, I'm working on it.

Last night I installed eight FS9 repaints and twiddled with the prop textures on one.

This morning I experimented with the FSX conversion on one skin and had some limited success.

I found two packages of FSX skins by Cirrus 210MS, one containing the Japan skin you see here. I've still got to research the mapping on the wing as you can see by the white painted rib. I figured out the gear door textures after I took this snapshot.

I counted 20 FSX skins in these two packages. Each texture folder contains about 40 files, but there are only a handful needed for FS9. Once I isolate all the key texture files, then the converstion begins. So far its just a matter of renaming the file to FS9 format and adjusting the alpha channel. If I can get the process simiplifed, I'll share it with everyone in case you want to take on the challenge.

:ernae:

--WH

WarHorse47
February 25th, 2011, 08:25
Here's my second FSX conversion for the day. This is from the same package described in my last post.

32271 32272

This is more challenging that other FSX conversions I've done. There is a lot of file renaming as well as converting to DXT3 format and redoing the alphas. Fortunately, its down to just 3 files.

Because the texture files are named according to the specific model (AT6 vs. SNJ, etc.) I might later want to take this AT6 Pensacola paint and move it to the SNJ folder to give it a tail hook.

--WH

WarHorse47
February 25th, 2011, 08:27
I don't have the Texan either. Is there an RAF/RCAF version?Yes. Its packaged with a Harvard model, and there are a couple RCAF textures out there. I haven't seen one for RAF yet, but there should be one as well I would think.

--WH