PDA

View Full Version : The FHC JG54 FW190 A-5 History

Smashing Time
February 21st, 2011, 05:32
I hope I'm not repeating old news but I missed this one. Interesting information on the history of the bird Hubb did.
http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=105277

we like microsoft...

:kilroy:

Mathias
February 21st, 2011, 08:18
Interesting read, thanks for sharing, even though I don't necessarly agree with some of their conclusions as to the sub type.
Having the MGFF not mounted or the inner gear doors replaced by the "Fahrwerksrestabdeckung" when a payload was carried was common practice.
This is clearly outlined in the period documents (manuals, spare part lists etc pp) and there also exists a multitude of visual proof in the form of period photographs.
The existance of the bomb rack does not necessarly allow the conclusion that the plane is of the U3 subtype since many bomb-carrying A-5 where just standard production aircraft.
Actually, there would be a number of other indications for an U-3 that they should have found (if it was one, LOL), provision for wingracks, extra armor for oil cooler and oil tank, the cockpit would show a four-lamp gear indicator in place of the twelve lamp indicator, so this is really a standard A-5.
Other than that, this is truely an awsome restoration project.