PDA

View Full Version : Launch Assist settings help

W. Bleddyn
February 20th, 2011, 16:07
I have been enjoying carrier ops lately with the Flying Stations Ark Royal and Victorious, as well as the awesome Nimitz/Eisenhower pack. However, some planes lack launch capability even if they have a hook, Razbam Banshee being the main one in my hangar with this deficiency.

I found some info on fsdeveloper.com but when it comes to getting the correct figures to add to the cfg file it links to a tool on "Lamont Clarke's wiki", however the link is dead. So does anyone know where I can find this tool, or where I can get the needed info from the cfg files?

Thanks! :salute:

Astoroth
February 20th, 2011, 19:24
I've been searching for that tool also, and can't find it. Would be very nice to have.

Rich
February 20th, 2011, 19:47
The tool you are looking for is I think ShowMarkers and is I think still available on Flightsim.com.

It will only show launch assist settings if they are written into the aircraft model in the case of that Banshee I suspect not however all is not lost it can be added in the aircraft.cfg I did one for the AH Banshee but can't locate it at the moment, deleted I think.

As a interim open the aircraft.cfg file and copy paste this into it, that should give you cat capabilities but you will have to experiment to find the hook up point

[launch_assistance]
launch_bar_pivot = 4.0, 0.0, -2.2
launch_bar_lug = 9.0, 0.0, -4.2

Rich

Rich
February 20th, 2011, 19:58
Sorry could'nt find the Banshee since it was the AH Panther I had not the Banshee, this is what I did for the Panther so it should not be that far out

[launch_assistance]
launch_bar_pivot = 6.433, 0.0, -3.522
launch_bar_lug = 10.423, 0.0, -7.42

W. Bleddyn
February 20th, 2011, 23:09
Thanks for the input Rich. Much appreciated.

I knew what needed to be added to the aircraft.cfg, I just need to know what the numbers should be for each aircraft. I used your info and did a search for ShowMarkers, and it turns out that it had been attached to a post covering this topic back in October. It also explains how to get that same info from another section of the aircraft.cfg

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?44807-making-an-aircraft-carrier-compatible....&p=499269
:salute:

*** Just a quick update. Using this formula from the post I linked above:

1. Take the nosegear longitudinal and vertical coordinates from section [contact_points] :
e.g. point.0=1, 9.85, 0.00, -6.10, 1574.803, 0.0, 0.782, 42 etc.

2. Calculate the [launch_assistance] coordinates as follows:

launch_bar_pivot= nosegear longitudinal, 0.0, launch_bar_lug vertical + 1
launch_bar_lug = launch_bar_pivot longitudinal +1.5, 0.0, nosegear vertical +0.5

With the example above that wiould be:
launch_bar_pivot= 9.85, 0.0, -4.60
launch_bar_lug = 11.35, 0.0, -5.60

I worked out that the settings for the Razbam Banshee would be

[launch_assistance]
launch_bar_pivot= 11, 0.0, -3.956667
launch_bar_lug = 12.5, 0.0, -4.456667

Which worked like a charm. So if anyone else is reading this thread looking for an answer to the same question, hschuit's post is the golden nugget of information you are looking for.

Rich
February 21st, 2011, 15:19
Ah sorry, my set up was for the type of launch gear in use at the time not the current close coupled bit in front of the nose gear, as seen on these 2, not Banshee but the same type of launch gear

Prowler1111
February 21st, 2011, 15:51
Somehow i missed that in the initial release, but back then, there was no idea of accel pack in the horizon.
We fixed that in the expansion pack

Best regards

Prowler

W. Bleddyn
February 21st, 2011, 16:14
I had no idea there was an expansion pack! I stopped playing FSX for a couple years due to a poor PC. Only started up again in late 2010 and never saw the Exp pack because your site doesn't list it. I assumed all products you still sell would be on your website. Turns out only a very small portion (4 of the 35 products available at your store) are listed on the main site. I find that rather odd. I will probably pick up that expansion, and a few others listed in your store quite soon. Thanks!

Prowler1111
February 21st, 2011, 16:22
Be advised, if you had some personal repaints in your original Banshee pack, they´ll not fit into the expansion pack (http://www.razbam.org/store/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=67&osCsid=4ddf55c584e186c858c71754fb88bcde)since we remapped all the jets.
Best regards
Prowler

delta_lima
February 22nd, 2011, 08:48
Apart from the technical enhancements (SP2, etc.), the expansion packs include the the extra models (F2H-2P) which are absolutely stunning. 2 big thumbs up.

dl

PS: Rich - whose Venom is that? Is that Rob's or Virtavia/Alphasim's? It sure looks sweet. Thanks sir!

Warrant
February 22nd, 2011, 10:42
Interresting thread! Gonna bookmark this one.

GaryGB
February 22nd, 2011, 16:17
I have been enjoying carrier ops lately with the Flying Stations Ark Royal and Victorious, as well as the awesome Nimitz/Eisenhower pack. However, some planes lack launch capability even if they have a hook, Razbam Banshee being the main one in my hangar with this deficiency.

I found some info on fsdeveloper.com but when it comes to getting the correct figures to add to the cfg file it links to a tool on "Lamont Clarke's wiki", however the link is dead. So does anyone know where I can find this tool, or where I can get the needed info from the cfg files?

Thanks! :salute:
Hello:

If anyone still needs to find this info by Lamont Clark (aka "lc0277"), his website is now hosted here:

http://lc0277.gratisim.fr/Adapting_SX_aircrafts_to_acceleration_carriers.htm l

PS: I've updated this URL info on a few threads and wikis at FSDeveloper.com regarding Lamont Clark's work

Hope this helps ! :mixedsmi:

GaryGB

Rich
February 22nd, 2011, 17:36
dl, both are Rob Richardsons models

Apart from the technical enhancements (SP2, etc.), the expansion packs include the the extra models (F2H-2P) which are absolutely stunning. 2 big thumbs up.

dl

PS: Rich - whose Venom is that? Is that Rob's or Virtavia/Alphasim's? It sure looks sweet. Thanks sir!

delta_lima
February 22nd, 2011, 17:58
dl, both are Rob Richardsons models

Yes, I knew that was his Gannet ... but I don't recall that paint on either his RN or RAN Venom ... strange ... is it a custom paint? I like that particular scheme.

thanks!

dl

W. Bleddyn
February 22nd, 2011, 21:06
Agreed dl, I am going to have to look into both of those... I had forgotten how expensive this hobby can be. ;)

@GaryGB, Thank you for letting us know :salute:

Rich
February 22nd, 2011, 21:29
DL, that paint ???? was me doodling not a proper paint job

Rich
February 23rd, 2011, 22:22
Delta Lima, a couple more doodles, Sea Vampire F20 but no hook model unfortunately.

delta_lima
February 23rd, 2011, 22:31
Nice doodles, Rich!!

I tried editing the VC texture to address the dark panel issue I'm having in that Vampire (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?50292-Rob-Richardson-s-panels) ... they're dds files which Paint can't open .... so I can't even doodle at all! :)

Maybe Gimp can get the job done - I hear some folks use it for basic repaint tweaks.

That's a nice scheme though - would love to see it on that Vampire!

dl

Rich
February 23rd, 2011, 22:40
DL, you can open them with DXT1 Bitmap Manipulator save them as 32 bit bmp's, do your bit with paint saving as 32 bit bmps every time till done then save as dds or leave it as a 32 bit bmp.

Bear in mind when you convert from DDS the bmp will be upside down so it will need flipping vertically, reverse if you decide to save the end product as DDS

Ps all my paint work is done with a 24 inch paint roller

delta_lima
February 24th, 2011, 08:27
DL, you can open them with DXT1 Bitmap Manipulator save them as 32 bit bmp's, do your bit with paint saving as 32 bit bmps every time till done then save as dds or leave it as a 32 bit bmp.

Bear in mind when you convert from DDS the bmp will be upside down so it will need flipping vertically, reverse if you decide to save the end product as DDS

Ps all my paint work is done with a 24 inch paint roller

Thanks Rich!

Sorry I've taken this thread a bit OT - will ask further questions on fsdeveloper or PM or something.

I've said it again - your work on launch/trap settings for FSX has been immensely helpful. It's only a second of cut/paste into the various aircrafts' cfgs for us to do, but I know it takes a lot of time to produce those two or three lines of code. Much appreciated.

dl