PDA

View Full Version : If you think airport security is tight....

Trans_23
February 20th, 2011, 06:35
After sitting on my butt for the better part of a year I finally got a call from the electricians hall up in Green Bay for a job at the Kewaunee Nuclear Station. They are shutting down the reactor for maintenance so a lot of tradesmen are required. After some initial speeches from various plant personnel I was handed a stack of paperwork to fill out. An amount of which I had not seen since I bought my house. Personal references, criminal background, credit check, and 5 year work history accounting for any gap in unemployment with a name of a person that can verify. Then we were given a 567 question psychological exam. Some really wild questions on that one. Yesterday I spent the better part of 10 hours on a computer terminal learning and testing on all things nuclear. There was actually some very enlightening information in there. Verizon dropped their servers out for a few hours so I will be back in there for at least another day on the computer, then to practical exams. After that I sit and wait for the background checks to clear and get my access badge. This is my first experience working at a nuke. There are a lot of shut downs this year at various nukes across the country including 4 in the Chicago area so I am hoping this can parlay into more work for me as they seem to look to hire people with nuke certifications before those without.
Once I get the access card I will be working 12 hours a night, 6 nights a week. I am staying with my brother and his family in Appleton which is about an hours drive each way so there won't be much time for anything else but sleep. I was hoping to make it to Lambeau Field and the museum while here. Drove by it a few times already. Maybe on my day off if I can muster the energy.
I will be nice to get a paycheck again if only for a few weeks. See you all in about a month.

brad kaste
February 20th, 2011, 08:31
Trans,....good to hear about the job that's opened up for you. Jus' DON'T become a Green Bay Packer fan through osmosis somehow. :mixedsmi:

Trans_23
February 20th, 2011, 09:16
Trans,....good to hear about the job that's opened up for you. Jus' DON'T become a Green Bay Packer fan through osmosis somehow. :mixedsmi:
LOL. No worries. :icon_lol:

I did see a Steelers banner hanging from a porch of an apartment building I drove by in my travels up there. I was surprised it had lasted that long.

Piglet
February 20th, 2011, 16:56
Will you be working with Homer Simpson?

N2056
February 20th, 2011, 16:59
DOH!!!

Clarke123
February 21st, 2011, 04:19
Just remember if there's a meltdown....eenie, meenie, miney, mo....

Trans_23
February 21st, 2011, 06:34
Interesting fact I learned there last week. The average person is exposed to more radiation per year that someone that works at a nuclear power plant. From what I understand a lot of the operators at these plants are ex-Navy that worked on nuclear powered ships and subs and have been around reactors their whole adult life. My biggest concern now is getting back up their. Looks like they have some pretty nasty winter weather hitting that area today. I hope the big box home centers still have some sand tubes available.