System specs ,

Sony Vaio Computer Pentium 4 CPU 3.4 GHZ
2.0 GB Ram
M/S Windows XP Media Edition, Service Pack 3
M/S FSX / SP2 installed
Radeon X1900 Series card
512 MB , DD3
Catalyst Version 08.8

Bare ass setup no add on scenery, just 3rd party A/C and FSWC water. Sum total I'm getting pretty good FPS.

Heres my question,

Starting to get what I can only describe as graphics that are spiking, it comes and goes ! Is this brought on by a tired Radeon card that needs replacing or is there easier fix.

Cheers for any thoughts or ideas !

Aircanuck

mjrhealth
February 19th, 2011, 16:26
Fsx needs at leats a 720 meg card, The spikes you are talking about, are thay the black ones that appear in the scenery. i believei its a memory issue. Going to 3 gig ram would help as well. to go with anymore ram you would need a 64 bit operating sytem.

Aircanuck
February 19th, 2011, 19:11
Fsx needs at leats a 720 meg card, The spikes you are talking about, are thay the black ones that appear in the scenery. i believei its a memory issue. Going to 3 gig ram would help as well. to go with anymore ram you would need a 64 bit operating sytem.

Nope not black , as an example if the spike appears shooting out from the ocean ... thats the colour, same with any spiking that occures with the scenery .... same colour. The spike seems to be an extension of the terrain just shooting off in a crazy direction ???

Thought maybe it was a tempature issue with the card , but temps are normal .... 49 - 60 C.

Thxs

paulb
February 19th, 2011, 20:28
Spiking is usually either a memory issue or your sliders are too high. I would not increase your card memory unless you increase your system ram first - from 2gb to at least 3gb. More memory on your card will decrease the available system memory.

Have you tried - as an experiment - turning down your autogen and/or water texture settings?

If that removes the spiking, and you still want to move the sliders back up to where you had them, then I would add 1gb (or better still 2gb) of system ram as the next step.

That might remove your spiking.

Cheers

Paul

OleBoy
February 19th, 2011, 20:43
I have the very same symptoms with this pc. And about the same configuration. Although I have 4gb of ram. It never helped much. I always turn off/stop anything not needed in the background to free up as much memory as possible. Sometimes it helped, other times it didn't. Even with all sliders at minimum I would occasionally get the spikes. Traffic flat killed my pc if I had it on.

My video card is on it's last leg.

Aircanuck
February 20th, 2011, 09:58
Good morning,

Appreciate your responses , I'II give the sliders a tweak and see what happens.

Cheers for that.

Aircanuck :jump: