PDA

View Full Version : It just Don't Add Up

Ickie
December 2nd, 2008, 05:03
My "C" drive is an 80 GB sata
It told me I was getting full with 20 Gigs remaining.

I run Vista

I uninstalled FSX and all add on's and removed all folders, about 20 GIGs worth.

Next I moved all websites to other drive and deleted the folder from "C" about 20 GIG worth again.

20+20+20=60 right:applause:

Now my "C" drive says I have 27 GIGs free, hummm I should have around 60 Gigs free??

this just don't add up, what going on here?:isadizzy:

I did a disk cleanup and defrag, and still the same!:banghead:

Moparmike
December 2nd, 2008, 05:53
Didja dump the recycle bin? How about reboot and then see what ya got left for space?

I'm not sure how Vista handles deleted files, but I've noticed that XP will still keep files listed as taking up space even after I delete and dump the recycle bin...until I reboot, then it seems to get the space calculated out right.

If it's something that I KNOW that I'm done with, I usually do the Shift+Del thing to bypass the recycle bin all together.

Ickie
December 2nd, 2008, 07:07
everything has been dumped and now it says I have 22 gig free

Butcherbird17
December 2nd, 2008, 12:38
Ickie, Try Tuneup Utilities its payware but they have a 30 day trial. It has a tool that will free-up disk space. When you do updates to Vista it makes backups and this is what is most likely using all this space, plus when you updated to SP1 a backup was made for this.

http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/

I've owned this since the 2006 version and is well worth the money, plus when a new version comes out they offer it at a discounted price to ya.:applause:

Joe

Ickie
December 2nd, 2008, 13:55
that program works good, I now have 38 gig free
and it fixed many problems.
its a full blown trial, real nice.

Butcherbird17
December 2nd, 2008, 15:06
I forgot to mention that it was the full version.:costumes: Its a great program that does alot of cool things.

Joe

Ickie
December 2nd, 2008, 15:41
Well I ran everything it has to offer and wow what a difference, I have much more space and this old thing really is fast again.
all reg errors are gone,
I think I will buy it soon @ $49.99

Thanks for the heads up.

middle
December 2nd, 2008, 22:10
Ickie, where can I get some of thoes bugs...they're great...are there different flavors? It's kinda like havin the D.T.'s

Moparmike
December 3rd, 2008, 07:53
Ickie, where can I get some of thoes bugs...they're great...are there different flavors? It's kinda like havin the D.T.'s

Mid...just run down to your local pooter store and buy a copy of Vista...all the bugs you'll ever need. :costumes:

(...or just right-click the picture and save the GIF file. Personally, they drive me nuts...especially in the summer when the real gnats are bouncing off my monitor.)

Ickie
December 3rd, 2008, 17:48
after fiddling with it some more, I now have 59.9 Gig free

so my math is correct and M$ math is flawed, lol

Willy
December 3rd, 2008, 18:49
Middle, I use the same bugs on a couple of shooting forums I frequent. Just the one flavor as far as I know.

I might have to check that program out myself.