PDA

View Full Version : A little update

CybrSlydr
February 18th, 2011, 18:14
Hi guys! I've been in country now for about three weeks. http://quartermoonsaloon.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Still no pics - but I'm now at a COP - Combat OutPost. Dunno if I can say which one, but which one doesn't really matter I guess. OpSec and all.

Been on about 6 patrols so far - most mounted, one dismounted and two traffic control point ops.

I've been designated the SAW gunner for my squad - in the Army, your standard squad is two 4-man teams and the Squad Leader. I'm in first squad. Typically that puts me the second or 3rd guy in our staggered column formation and lone wing-man on the left of the wedge (or right).

Looking at my SAW, I apparently have the PARA version with the telescoping buttstock and the short barrel. It also has the M145 ELCAN (C79 for you Canadians). Carrying all that ammo (2-200rd drums and 1-200 rd drum in the gun), spare barrel and bipod (I currently have a grip pod as my fore attachment) is HEAVY. The IOTV doesn't help much either in the weight department - everyone else has plate carriers. lol

I've driven an MATV and ridden in MRAPs (MaxPro's). Very nice vehicles. They are certainly confidence builders in that you feel protected inside them. That MATV is a sexy vehicle too - if it's not wrapped up in RPG netting. lol

So far, the Afghan people near us are quite nice - very talkative and friendly. Gotta watch out for them with sticky fingers though - especially the kids. lol

Anyway, just wanted to say hey and I'll see you guys later!

OBIO
February 18th, 2011, 19:07
CybrSlydr

Good to hear from you and to know that you are doing well so far. Keep your eyes and ears open, your head down and you spirits up. Know that we here at home are proud of all you men and women in uniform. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

OBIO

MenendezDiego
February 18th, 2011, 19:58
be safe

Kiwikat
February 18th, 2011, 20:16
Thanks for the update! I wish I'd hear more about what my cousin is doing over there with the Navy, but he can't say much at all. Stay safe and remember to keep checking back in!

Thank you for your service. :salute:

Jagdflieger
February 18th, 2011, 20:20
So how did a cannon cocker end up in the infantry? It could be worse weight wise... You could be carrying an M 240.

Keep your head on a swivel and your powder dry!

David_L6
February 19th, 2011, 04:27
Good to hear from you. Glad you're doing OK so far. Hang in there and hurry home.

Cazzie
February 19th, 2011, 04:34
Be safe Cybr, praying for you each day young man, God bless all of you.

Caz

papab
February 19th, 2011, 06:01
Thank you ,thank you ,thank you for your service to our country!!!!!:salute:

Please stay out of harms way....
I will say a prayer for you and your fellow soliders for a safe return

Rick B.

wombat666
February 19th, 2011, 07:22
Looking at my SAW, I apparently have the PARA version with the telescoping buttstock and the short barrel. It also has the M145 ELCAN (C79 for you Canadians). Carrying all that ammo (2-200rd drums and 1-200 rd drum in the gun), spare barrel and bipod (I currently have a grip pod as my fore attachment) is HEAVY. The IOTV doesn't help much either in the weight department - everyone else has plate carriers. lol

Could be worse Cybr, humping a 'Pig' (M60) and a pair of full belts is not much fun.
I'm with Jagdflieger, how did you end up in the 'Ground Pounders'????????
Don't tell me you went and 'volunteered' ................ or did you fall for the old FNG caper??
Stay safe.
:salute:

rayrey10
February 19th, 2011, 07:24
Glad to hear that you are safe. Take care and God speed!

Matt Wynn
February 19th, 2011, 07:43
Take care in the 'Stan, i'm between deployments at the moment, despite the conflict i like the country, the kids are easilly solved as British Rat-packs (MRE's to you Americans) contain boiled sweets and a choccie bar, i don't eat either so they get handed out to the locals. them locals can be a blessing or a curse at times, blessing in that you can get basic intel off them and a curse in that the real bad guys hide amongst them so always keep your guard up...

still return safe, a few friends out by the Hindu-Kush mountains told me it had snowed there around the 13th of this month... good luck, keep your cool and nerve and carry on soldier :salute:

speak when you get back, first round when you do is on me in the Outhouse bar! :ernae:

Bjoern
February 19th, 2011, 15:35
If you think a PARA was heavy, try walking around with a MG-3 all day. You'll love the M249 after that. ;)

Bone
February 19th, 2011, 16:23
wear your ear plugs!

CybrSlydr
February 19th, 2011, 18:16
So how did a cannon cocker end up in the infantry? It could be worse weight wise... You could be carrying an M 240.

Keep your head on a swivel and your powder dry!

Actually, I carried a 240 in basic for about 4 weeks for all our FTX's. :) So, I'm quite familiar with that beast. I'm also the turret gunner on our truck, so I'm always using the 240 as well as my SAW.

I was assigned to a maneuver battery - so we're artillerymen doing infantry maneuvers. One of our batteries is a maneuver battery and the other is a gun battery transitioning to a maneuver battery. Not much use for artillery in this part of Afghanistan.

Smoothie - we're just south of Kabul. Not nearly as nasty for those in the Hindu-Kush. Rough stuff for them!

As for the locals - the kids know 2 words - Pen and Clock. lol So far our Op orders haven't allowed us to pass out food - but our Jordanian allies (mostly worthless guys...) have been passing out blankets and the like to some locals when they decide to go on patrol. Oddly enough, we did get snow that day - and the Jordanians wouldn't go out because of it. lol So we went out ourselves.

Bjoren - I've always admired the MG3. A fine piece of machinery. Someday I'd love to fire one off.

Panther_99FS
February 19th, 2011, 20:49
As I said at the other place..
Good to hear from you & keep your head down!

TARPSBird
February 19th, 2011, 21:37
Cybr, check your PM's. :)

Bjoern
February 20th, 2011, 07:40
Bjoren - I've always admired the MG3. A fine piece of machinery. Someday I'd love to fire one off.

I've hated it with every fiber of my body. All metal, heavy as crap, a ridiculously heavy recoil...

Gimme a drum magazine and bipod for a G-36 and I'll be happy. Not much unnecessary weight in there.

The MG-3 made a nice prop for those Rambo-like poser photos though.