PDA

View Full Version : Part II: putting meat on the bones

Sid2008
February 17th, 2011, 05:24
Now for all those FSDS users who already have a fuselage made of 1 layer of polygons with holes for doors and windows. How will you provide depth perception of doors and windows from the VC.

I tried this and it works:
1) if you are cutting holes in your fuselage, make sure that you save the part of the fuselage that is cut out, I mean the window panes. If you have not saved them, you need to go into point mode and select 3 points at a time and make polygons to create your own window panes. These panes must be created so they appear smmoth and follow the cotour/curves of the fuselage. This might take some practice.
2) once you have a smooth windo pane, copy and paste it onto itself and flip all polygons on the copied pane. Now go to the original pane and scale it a little larger so it is just a tad bigger than the window hole. Pull this large pane outside (along the X axis in FSDS) just a little to match the thickness of the fuselage.
3) join the bigger and smaller pane into one part.
4) using boolean operation and an appropriately shaped cutting tool, cut this part to create the window. The boolean will automatically create a new part that will give the transverse surface for the window, that explicity shows the thickness of the fuselage wall. You may have to select and flip individual polygons to cover up all holes and make the whole window frame look nice.
5)The boolean operation will also give you a new window pane that you can texture like a colored glass.

Try it... it works.
Sid

FelixFFDS
February 17th, 2011, 14:25
While you have "discovered" what many of us have already tried and done - one way or another, I for one, appreciate the freshness of the explanation.

(Just because I "know" how to do something, doesn't mean I can explain it, and yes, it caused me to look at it in a new light...)