PDA

View Full Version : Warbirdsim P-51D or MAAM-SIM B-25J?

SADT
February 16th, 2011, 21:00
Hi Guys,

Since I may have some spending money this weekend (Yay! :jump: ) I was thinking of tying up a few loose ends in my simulator, and two types of aircraft came to mind: A long range, fast, maneuverable fighter (P-51D), and a twin-engined bomber (B-25). Now I already have the A2A Spitfire, and their P-47D, but I believe that the Spit is at least 100MPH slower than the P-51 (Don't take me wrongly, I love the Spitfire W/Accusim :-), as well as having some "minor" cooling issues. The P-47 is quite un-maneuverable IMO, and like Kiwikat said, it is like a tank. So I ask, which should I buy? One interesting little quirk with the P-51D is no repaints, so no South African "cheetah" squadron aircraft :hatchet: (Korea), but on the flipside, the B-25 has some issues in FSX accel. Honest opinions will be appreciated and treated as gold ;)

paulb
February 16th, 2011, 21:26
Well, I very recently bought the Warbirdsim P-51D. It is really excellent. It looks beautiful and flying it is good fun. I am a big WW2 warbird fan, have a lot of payware and this one competes with the very best! So you won't go far wrong if you buy it. ;)

Hopefully, repaints are just a matter of time. Currently a repaint pack is not available, but one has been 'promised'. I think (not 100% sure) that Warbirdsim (because of their fantastically high attention to detail) want to release a kit that recognises the subtle differences in the aircraft in the release. Remember that this release covers restored aircraft. BTW, the paints included with the release are excellent.

BTW, if you go for the P-51D, I didn't find it easy buying from their site, and bought it here instead -
http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_70_71&products_id=2914
Very easy and hassle free.

Cheers

Paul

Cag40Navy
February 16th, 2011, 21:50
Warbirdsim P-51D. Well done aircraft, and is a pretty sweet bird in the air.

jankees
February 17th, 2011, 00:14
easy choice, the P-51D
In a nutshell, that's todays model, the Maam B-25 is yesterdays model. It's beautiful!
Also, you can wait for Vertigo's B-25 and fly the 'stang at the moment.
Repaints? I've done 5 so far:
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX9843.jpg
but WBS have asked me to wait releasing them until after their next repaint/model packs, so unless A2A beat them to it with their new Mustang, there will be repaints available in the (near?) future.

If you insist on multi-engine, I suggest you look at the Aerosoft Catalina, or the A2A B-17 (both with lots of paints too).

jim
February 17th, 2011, 04:02
Love to see a true FSX version of MAAMs B25J.

mal998
February 17th, 2011, 04:43
I would have to agree, Warbirdsim's P-51s are excellent. I expecially like the early B/C set. I'm really looking froward to Vertigo's B-25. It should be an outstanding addition and it's an early variant...never been done before. No doubt they'll be a ton of paints for that one.

Cleartheprop
February 17th, 2011, 09:05
I would have to agree, Warbirdsim's P-51s are excellent. I expecially like the early B/C set. I'm really looking froward to Vertigo's B-25. It should be an outstanding addition and it's an early variant...never been done before. No doubt they'll be a ton of paints for that one.

Same here. The P 51 B/C III are really great and talented painters have provided this model with many beautiful skins. The D is great too, but for the time, without third party paintings. I'm confident there will be many in a few weeks/months!

c87
February 17th, 2011, 09:39
I agree with Jan Kees. The B-25 is a bit long in the tooth though it still is a nice bird. I don't have the D model Mustang but I have Warbird Sim's 'older' Mustangs. I love them. They're beautifully textured and with all the great repaints that Jan Kees has done it makes it a joy to fly this aircraft. I'd go with the Warbird Sim P-51D.

jeansy
February 17th, 2011, 09:42
i say go with the 51 for now and wait for the vertigo 25

Bomber_12th
February 17th, 2011, 10:16
Hey guys - just thought I would add that, yes, availability of repaints will be just a matter of time. Shortly before the paintkit is released, I'll have a few repaints of my own released first - testing out the paintkit so-to-speak - so you can look for the paintkit to follow shortly after that. Still have two more projects to get out of the way first, but it won't take that long.

jankees
February 17th, 2011, 23:43
TWO projects??

W. Bleddyn
February 18th, 2011, 00:33
i say go with the 51 for now and wait for the vertigo 25

A2A has the Accu-sim P-51 in the pipe though so that argument could go both ways.

huub vink
February 18th, 2011, 02:47
With all respect, but the Warbirdsim P-51 is a collection of several hyper-accurate genuine FSX models from P-51s which still fly today. The MAAM is a definitely a nice model, but a model originally designed for FS2002 and modified several times to make it usable in FSX.
Therefore I personally don't think they can really be compared.

So I concur with jeansy "go with the 51 for now and wait for the vertigo 25".

Cheers,
Huub

W. Bleddyn
February 18th, 2011, 03:27
Fair enough, I don't have either and just assumed a new release would be better in both cases.