PDA

View Full Version : Lack of interest

Talon
February 16th, 2011, 14:42
I have stopped all work on MAW and PTO because there seems to be a lack of interest in them. ETO it seems to be your choice of the addons and I'm not really interested in the ETO that much. I will be concentrating on finishing my model railroad instead and sailing around the Pacific.

Talon

superashi
February 16th, 2011, 15:11
Talon...that's a real shame...I liked them all...I was looking forward to new MAW and PTO addons...on the other hand I also like model trains too...I don't have it on a table yet (setup can take up a lot of room) It is a dc setup...can have up to 4 trains on same track going different speeds and directions if you want...much better than the old block system wiring...enjoy the sailing too!

superashi

loverboy1
February 16th, 2011, 15:25
talon , dont you know , know of you from your work and think sailing around the world is a real treat .

be careful of pirates and women .

hope the best and yee do whatr makes you happy . life is short and history is well written

lb/joshua

flamingskull
February 16th, 2011, 15:50
Very sorry to hear that Talon, I've just about got my new rig where I want it and just started to enjoy the PTO after a long layoff, I've always been in awe of what you guys craft for our enjoyment and I hope some of the others who carry more weight can convince you stay on!:ernae:

scoutII
February 16th, 2011, 16:25
I too should get back to my model railroading:icon29: Enjoy life and relax a bit - Will look forward to your return and story's

ndicki
February 16th, 2011, 19:29
Sorry to hear this. I was looking forward to your MAW work, even if I admit the PTO leaves me reasonably cold - no RAF in it! Never mind, we all need a break...

HouseHobbit
February 16th, 2011, 19:44
Talon,
I realize your interest in PTO and the long wait for all of this..

It is a Large loss to the team to lose you..
An I hope that you, in time will return...

I will be on skype as always, and perhaps we can continue our great discussions..
I look forward to your tales of the Sea..

Have a great time of it, and I hope to speak with you again..

I'll keep wrecking everything until your return..
God Bless and good sailing..

RATS!!
Bummer..

Wyld45
February 16th, 2011, 20:59
Sorry to hear that Talon,but as long as you have other interests that make you happy
thats a good thing. Got you a link to go with your other interest. Have fun!

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/index.php

rbp71854
February 16th, 2011, 22:02
Al

No lack of interest here.

Your talents and knowledge base will be greatly missed. You are always welcome to return to the sandbox. I think by the end of Q2 you will be pleasantly surprised.

Bob

Old Tiger
February 17th, 2011, 04:34
Al

No lack of interest here.

Your talents and knowledge base will be greatly missed. You are always welcome to return to the sandbox. I think by the end of Q2 you will be pleasantly surprised.

Bob

:wavey:No lack of interest here either. I'll miss your great work also.

God Bless,
Len

PRang
February 17th, 2011, 05:18
"No lack of interest here either. I'll miss your great work also"

There are great missions for the Eastern Front. MAW 2 never was done and missions after 1943 have to be completed created (facilities, airfields, etc,) and it takes a little time to make the new missions.
Lots of us are interested and busy with MB; but, I am ready to take a break, too. Enjoy your sabatical and we will be waiting with open arms,

God bless

PRang :salute:

KellyB
February 17th, 2011, 05:27
I regularly go after the axis in both the med and the pacific. I shall miss your contributions to the PTO especially.

That said, we also own a 32ft ketch and all my model railroad (ho) stuff is still in boxes awaiting the finishing of the room in which the empire will be built.

So I do understand the call of the sea and the desire to be workin' on the railroad. I hope you get as much of both as you want!

Fair winds, and a highball!

johannesl
February 17th, 2011, 10:16
I can understand the need for a break. We all reach a burnout point, but a lack of interest. I don't think so. As in real life the ETO got all the glory and the MTO and PTO not to mention CBI got the table scraps.

One need only look at this forum to see an interest in MAW and this is an area that has only had its early years/months covered. I for one was looking forward to the missions that covered Operation Torch, and Tunisia as well as Sicily and Salerno. So much will be missed.

As for PTO, remember that CFS2 was a PTO only simulator and if you check that forum you'll see that it's going strong today. Here again it is more a lack of material, which must I admit, has to be made from scratch, than a lack of interest. This is an area that has so much room for creating missions and aircraft. The island hopping up the Solomons and New Guinea with the US Army Air Corp, RAAF, RNZAF and US Navy carrier ops. Lae, The Battle of the Bismark Sea (a real shoot em up), and the campaign for Rabaul. There is a lot of creative gold to be mined here. I'm not very familiar with mission builder myself, but I have a couple of ideas for historical Wildcat missions floating around in my head I might try.

So, by all means please take a much deserved break and rest we all need them, but a lack of interest? Never!

hairyspin
February 17th, 2011, 10:42
I can't speak for anyone else, but I am looking forward to the PTO developments/new SEAC theatre Rob has already mentioned. And for modellers, there's a lot of scope - many aircraft which saw service in the Far East and haven't been built for CFS3 yet and would also feature in MAW.

Slim's 14th Army was called the forgotten army and the air war in SE Asia is also often forgotten, but it had one of my heroes proving himself for the third time: Keith Park. First the Battle of Britain, then turning the defense of Malta into an offensive campaign (poor old Kesselring, second time unlucky!) and finally the air war in Burma.

Lots of scope! :jump:

cjcz7
February 18th, 2011, 03:47
i was greatly looking foward to the PTO and MAW work to,
but make sure you do what YOU want to do, that's what matters

Animal
February 18th, 2011, 08:04
Talon, nothing could be farther from the truth. In fact I personally would like to see both these sims get a major boost in intrest, and attention. Your contributions will be sorrly missed.

NachtPiloten
February 18th, 2011, 09:31
While things appear slow at the moment, progress takes time. I for one do not model much for PTO, but the b-24, cat, and sunderland all flew in the pacific. The P38 and P47 did as well (mentions this as there some new ones coming soon????). I also believe that the Beaufort did too. Steve is making a few new Japanese planes folks are trying to get some new ships into play plus the new sandboxes being developed. Talon, not intending to pick a fight, but hey given the number of folks we still have doing work, there is a fair amount of new pieces being produced.

HouseHobbit
February 18th, 2011, 09:49
No Lack of interest here, Heck Just released a PTO set for the men to enjoy..

Talon your a Master and deserve the respect of all here..
I do Hope you will again Bless the Team with your great works..
Bravo.. And Thanks..
Look forward to speaking with you on skype soon..

popsaka
February 18th, 2011, 10:09
Whatever ya do, have fun... and I for one, would luv ta see some pix
of your train set.... and, of course, don't be a stranger!!:salute:

dancat
February 18th, 2011, 15:57
I too feel a lack of interest but not by everyone here, it's on my part.
I just feel the lack of good ai and effects have made me loose interest.
now the new IL2 on the other hand looks good to me but I hope the FM's are as real as the models..

FOO FIGHTER
February 18th, 2011, 18:20
For me, I go through phases where I fly in just one theater for a long time and then move on to another. Right now I'm into the KTO, next month it might be PTO.

I think the interest will always be there as long as people continue to make/add things for CFS3. If there are to be no theater updates or nothing new in the DL section on a regular basis then interest will surely fade.

BeauBrummie
February 18th, 2011, 22:23
I also believe that the Beaufort did too.

Yes Ted they did, the Aussie's used them to great effect against Japanese shipping. Now there's one bird I'd like for the Coastal Command set of aircraft. They were moved from the ETO theatre to the Med early in to attack Axis shipping there.

Led Zeppelin
February 18th, 2011, 22:57
Somebody, don't remember who, worked on a Beaufort for MAW. It's a real shame that DR team disbanded.

ndicki
February 18th, 2011, 23:24
Somebody, don't remember who, worked on a Beaufort for MAW. It's a real shame that DR team disbanded.

Burnout, mainly. Don't forget that pretty well every single thing in MAW was 100% new, never released before and made specifically. That goes from the sandbox, of course, through weather, effects, vehicles, buildings, trees, sounds, missions, campaigns and of course, aircraft. That is quite a lot, and I think it would have been difficult to improve upon.

Bravo/4
February 19th, 2011, 03:05

I know who, I'll try and contact him, it will be a long shot though, so no promises!
The Beaufort was finished apart from pits, I almost had the model for paint, it was that close, but he was in the US army and got posted, then things got pushed back, and forgotten, he's no longer active modelling AFAIK?

NachtPiloten
February 19th, 2011, 04:45
Don't we have one already? I know it is a bit long in the tooth but a new skin, up dated fm and damage and she should be ok.

Bravo/4
February 19th, 2011, 07:07
No Ted, are you thinking of the Beaufighter, Beaufort was a different lady?

BTW I'll have something big and German for you to look at later:wiggle:

NachtPiloten
February 19th, 2011, 11:21
it was almost like the Ventura or Harpoon then?

popsaka
February 19th, 2011, 11:28
Jon: which IL2??

Ted: Have you thought of doing a B-24 ala PB4Y
(I think it is) with the big B-17 tail??

hairyspin
February 19th, 2011, 12:28
it was almost like the Ventura or Harpoon then?

In a way - they were developments of the Hudson, while the Beaufort was a development of the Blenheim. However the Beaufort was designed from the outset as a torpedo bomber. Both the Japanese and the Afrika Korps would rather we hadn't used them, as would many of our aircrew...!

The Beaufighter (Beaufort fighter) was developed as an improvement on the Beaufort and pretty much replaced it altogether.

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/unitedkingdom/aircraft/torpedo-bomber/bristol-beaufort-torpedo-bomber/bristol-beaufort-torpedo-bomber-01.png

dancat
February 19th, 2011, 14:34
storm of war

Jon: which IL2??

HouseHobbit
February 19th, 2011, 15:58
WOW.. For a Lack of Interest, it has become a interesting thread..

I couldn't help Myself...:redf:

I know.. "Bad" Hobbit :a1089:

Talon
February 20th, 2011, 16:34
I can understand the need for a break. We all reach a burnout point, but a lack of interest. I don't think so. As in real life the ETO got all the glory and the MTO and PTO not to mention CBI got the table scraps.

One need only look at this forum to see an interest in MAW and this is an area that has only had its early years/months covered. I for one was looking forward to the missions that covered Operation Torch, and Tunisia as well as Sicily and Salerno. So much will be missed.

As for PTO, remember that CFS2 was a PTO only simulator and if you check that forum you'll see that it's going strong today. Here again it is more a lack of material, which must I admit, has to be made from scratch, than a lack of interest. This is an area that has so much room for creating missions and aircraft. The island hopping up the Solomons and New Guinea with the US Army Air Corp, RAAF, RNZAF and US Navy carrier ops. Lae, The Battle of the Bismark Sea (a real shoot em up), and the campaign for Rabaul. There is a lot of creative gold to be mined here. I'm not very familiar with mission builder myself, but I have a couple of ideas for historical Wildcat missions floating around in my head I might try.

So, by all means please take a much deserved break and rest we all need them, but a lack of interest? Never!

Johannesl,

I know all about CFS2 and have been doing work on it since it came out,even now I still do missions for it.

In MAW Operation Torch can not be done because there isn't the correct scenery for it.

As for PTO Battle of the Bismarck Sea can't be done right as of now because the correct scenery hasn't been done yet. When the new scenery comes out there are B-25's,A-20's and I have a B-17 setup for skipbombing. Most don't know the B-17 was used before the B-25 for skipbombing. At the Battle of the Bismarck Sea a B-17 sank the first transport by skipbombing.

I started on a RNZAF mission set in the Solomons and there was no real interest in it. I have a Cactus Airforce mission set started for the PTO update. As for the CBI I did a 45 AVG mission set for CFS2 and 28 CATF ( formed July 1942 after the AVG ) mission set. This could be done for the CBI in PTO also.

Hobbit,

Sometimes a thread like this has to be done to bring some members out of the woodwork. When you ask if any interest on what you're working on only a few regulars speakup but when you say no one has interest you can see what happens. Most people have more interest in the scenery,planes and ships or as some say the eye candy but when it comes to missions not many speakup. What would they do with all the eye candy but no missions to go with it? Complain of course.

Talon

dancat
February 20th, 2011, 19:15
I've never flown a mission in my cfs3 life.
always qc because I'm checking my gmax work.
maybe that's why I lost interest...not joking either

Led Zeppelin
February 20th, 2011, 21:33
In MAW Operation Torch can not be done because there isn't the correct scenery for it.
Yes but this operation was the only action that occured in these areas. Building specific theaters just for this is not well worht the effort, it is much better to build an Operation Torch around Tunisia. It is semi-historical but should be ok.

Same for Operation Exporter for exemple, I had to build it in Turkey as Syria is not on CFS3.

SgtT
February 21st, 2011, 04:07
I have to admit that I hadn't flown CFS3 much until Hobbit turned me onto ETO and MAW and that has really changed my view on CFS3. I can't speak for anyone else but for myself I really enjoy MAW. I haven't checked out the missions yet because I'm still getting used to everything but plan on here shortly.

I just want to say thank you for everyone's hard work. I hope you enjoy your time off and I will be anxiously looking for any future updates.

Thanks again,

T.

westview
February 21st, 2011, 06:27
For me it's not as much lack on interest but rather lack of time, a full time job while in a graduate program doesn't leave much room for fun, or sleep for that matter.

alain95
February 23rd, 2011, 06:34
My mind is that real life allways comes first

And I don't know things so much real than sailling ! I practiced Windsurf and catamarans by the past and I couldn't feel more alive when the sea started to shake me more and more...

I hope you will have great times and lot of nice encounters with the sea life, and for sure good winds that will kindly bring you back to us one day or another.

All the best
:engel016:

Pat Pattle
February 23rd, 2011, 07:26
I'd miss your input Al. I haven't flow all your missions but appreciate the hard work that goes into each one of them, especially all the research beforehand! Happy sailing. :salute:
(would like to see some pics of your model railway btw!)

Personally I still have yet to find another sim that beats cfs3 for keeping my interest.
There are arguably better combat sims about but they're not moddable, if I see something missing or wrong I like to be able to fix it.

I also have a ton of ideas and new things to model, my problem is lack of time!

Jean Bomber
February 23rd, 2011, 08:43
Hi Talon ,
We all need time by time a break in all the domains that refresh the brain.:mixedsmi:

...Most people have more interest in the scenery,planes and ships or as some say the eye candy but when it comes to missions not many speakup. What would they do with all the eye candy but no missions to go with it? Complain of course.

don't trust that about the missions ,we built sceneries planes object etc...not only for the eye candy,if we can also do it ,why not ?,but for ,my part ,I do the sceneries to use them at the end for the missions ,who know will built them to transport us in the time.

JP

HouseHobbit
February 23rd, 2011, 09:02
I am a eye candy fan..:applause:

I do build with only the Hope, perhaps one person may enjoy this..
I am not worried, that some may not speak up..

I will continue to try and give back to all who build all these wonderful items/eye candy..
(So a Hobbit to crash into and wreck everything)

It is a matter of Kindness, I have received many kind Gifts in the form of
Items to Freely download and play with..
So I try in a small way to return this Kindness with my missions.

If anyone says Thanks or takes note is not a issue for me..
I just want to return to those who have so richly Blessed me..

:salute: :salute: :salute:

flyer01
February 23rd, 2011, 11:36
What HH says.:ernae:
The only way I can say thank you for what you do and make for this sim is to make a video.

I do not really care if anyone comment's on the videos. That is not what matters. It's just the fact that I made the video to say thank you.

flyer01:salute:

P.S- AL> I will be looking for you on the high sea's.