PDA

View Full Version : Tales Of The Golden Monkey Series

Crusader
February 14th, 2011, 11:23
Has anyone come across a good quality set of this series staring Steven Collins ? I think this has been brought up here before at SOH . My wife got me this set several years ago but she forgot where . The set(DVD) that I own has a tan background and brown picture on each DVD . Very poor quality video and audio and in checking on the net seems to have been on a few other suppliers as well . Here is part of a review I found on Amazon that explains what I'm talking about :

" This review is from: Tales of the Gold Monkey: Complete Series (DVD)
This is a fun show with a very likable cast. But the transfer leaves much to be desired. The video is only so-so... but acceptable I guess. The main problem; the audio transfer is really sub-standard. There is something wrong with the dialogue and effects mix. I don't know if it's a compression issue, or the original audio off the master tapes was poor to begin with? But this audio is not DVD-quality. The best way to describe it would be it sounds like audio off of an old, cheap VHS tape recorded at EP (lowest quality) speed. This issue seems to be on all the sets. I returned my initial set, got a replacement -- the replacement set had the same problems. "

My set sure has the audio problems described above but also very poor video as well .

If anyone comes across a set or who presently owns a good quality DVD set of this very good series could you share where you got it .

I'll keep looking ,

Rich

voyager
February 14th, 2011, 11:55
Crusader,

My copy was gotten online from Barnes and Noble. UPC on the sleeve is 26663 12044. It is a 6 disk set copyright 1982 and 2010 Universal City Studios. Disk background is some shade of yellow with a Brown border and Jack and Jake on the right side.

Quality seems good.

voyager

Crusader
February 14th, 2011, 13:40
Crusader,

My copy was gotten online from Barnes and Noble. UPC on the sleeve is 26663 12044. It is a 6 disk set copyright 1982 and 2010 Universal City Studios. Disk background is some shade of yellow with a Brown border and Jack and Jake on the right side.

Quality seems good.

voyager

Thanks voyager for the information . I'll check them out .

Rich

FAC257
February 14th, 2011, 14:02
The complete series is also available on Netflix.

I really liked that show when it was on.

FAC

Railrunner130
March 31st, 2011, 21:05
I've noticed many of the same issues. I think there is only one episode (so far) where the sound is off from the words. The video quality itself is not-so-good. I'm thinking that it wasn't remastered or whatever term is appropriate is either because of the effects or the quality (lack thereof) of the original film it was shot on. The early 1980's effects would've looked pretty bad in comparison to the rest of the show.

I enjoyed watching the show as a kid and really enjoy it now. Yeah, some of the story line is cheesey and the effects are poor. But, so what?

I'd actually like to get ahold of the production company and beg them to attempt a restart. Perhaps they could start by reshooting the original episodes, then doing the unproduced episodes, followed by freshly written episodes.