PDA

View Full Version : Air Tractor

MarkH
February 14th, 2011, 10:22
Crikey, that's taken an unexpected turn (http://flightsimnation.net/forum/index.php?topic=331.0)! Looks great, flies pretty well, with a passable VC and a few obvious rough edges. On the other hand, it's a bitter-sweet windfall, given the rumblings about how it came about.

falcon409
February 14th, 2011, 10:47
Yea, I've always been on the fence about this type airplane given it's specific function. Kinda like the payware SkyCrane that was released not too long ago. Not a lot you can do with either one other than what they're built for. This one is a bit different, but not a lot. It's one I'll give a bit of a try to and see what it might be about should the payware version ever see the light of day. Interesting that it would be called the "lite" version and be over 100meg download.:salute:

FSN
February 14th, 2011, 10:49
It's called the lite edition because it's not finished...not to payware specs. VC is still the placeholder stuff, paint is pooched, no programming, stock caravan audio etc.

falcon409
February 14th, 2011, 11:22
It's called the lite edition because it's not finished...not to payware specs. VC is still the placeholder stuff, paint is pooched, no programming, stock caravan audio etc.
lol, yea, I knew all that. . .it was simply a reference to download size, where many seldom get beyond the 20 or 30 meg size fully developed. After downloading and saw that there were actually two variations, the download size makes more sense. "Moving right along. . . . .":salute:

FSN
February 14th, 2011, 11:32
Ah cool, you know though Falcon I have to gracefully disagree with your point about being such a functional aircraft. I think stuff like this goes beyond the regular planes. The usual ones are always great looking and flying but that's about as far as it goes. I chose the AT line because you can do alot more with it.

It's too bad this all went weird like this but I'm confident the fully functioning payware version will be really awesome and if it meets my vision, it'll be a real cracker.

stiz
February 14th, 2011, 11:37
any chance we could get a quick list on what does work? :)

FSN
February 14th, 2011, 11:44
This version only has the ability to drop fire retardant. Doors open...red stuff spews out. All the audio and programming has been left out as it may be used on the next version. The scoop system is de-activated. You can only extend and retract the scoops. The FRDS is de-activated showing only the model, the 3D lighting is still there...oh and the windshield wiper works...lol

ryanbatc
February 14th, 2011, 11:52
Pics?

FSN
February 14th, 2011, 11:58
Pics?

www.fsairtractor.com (http://www.fsairtractor.com)

Warrant
February 14th, 2011, 11:59
Getting a weird feeling here. Not going to join in on a battle between developers, and not going to download this since the obvious (main) originator of the project has been forced out of the decision (as far as i can judge from here) to upload this bird as freeware or not.

IMHO the mod's here at SOH should close this thread and stay out of this one too.
(though it looks great!)

:engel016:

Delta_Whiskey
February 14th, 2011, 12:01
Cool - now that it's released, i wont have to. and it's free too
no payment expected , problem solved , moving on
I'm okay with you releasing the LE version as it was my idea a month or two ago ,
(for people that want but cant afford)

i can also feel free to upload updates or mods in the future if i choose to revisit this project

regards,
"the modeler" aka Bruce Fitzgerald aka Delta_whiskey

enjoy

FSN
February 14th, 2011, 12:06
There ya go...problem solved. Enjoy everyone.

Warrant
February 14th, 2011, 12:14
Cool - now that it's released, i wont have to. and it's free too
no payment expected , problem solved , moving on
I'm okay with you releasing the LE version as it was my idea a month or two ago ,
(for people that want but cant afford)

i can also feel free to upload updates or mods in the future if i choose to revisit this project

regards,
"the modeler" aka Bruce Fitzgerald aka Delta_whiskey

enjoy

Obviously i responded too fast and/or to cautious. Disregard PM's.

If this is your choice, thank you for sharing, Delta Whiskey! :salute:

Roger
February 14th, 2011, 12:55
Obviously i responded too fast and/or to cautious. Disregard PM's.

If this is your choice, thank you for sharing, Delta Whiskey! :salute:

I was watching for this one to appear having seen that it was released to Simviation earlier today but all seems well enough now. I really like the model but just a shame that the wheeled version loses paint on the tail and undersides but maybe that'll be fixed now.

Roger
February 14th, 2011, 14:14
Really good work Bruce!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/airtractor-3.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/airtractor-2.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/airtractor-1.jpg

FSN
February 14th, 2011, 14:19
Don't forget, there's more than one person involved in a team, Thanks to Dan Dunn for the painting and Dave Reynolds PR, Walt Darran - Beta Testing and the guys at Fire Boss LLC who supplied the specs.

W. Bleddyn
February 14th, 2011, 14:34
Thank you for the release! I love this little plane in RL.

If anyone does start painting it (if that is allowed with the current release?) please consider a Conair scheme. They are based at Abbotsford which is right on the Canada/US border in the OrbX PNW area so a fitting paint for flying in that region.

http://www.conair.ca/

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/1706/conairt.th.jpg (http://img831.imageshack.us/i/conairt.jpg/)http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/8852/conair2.th.jpg (http://img26.imageshack.us/i/conair2.jpg/)

FSN
February 14th, 2011, 14:41
Fer sure, paint away. No paint kit for this version but I don't think that's an issue.

Rockitglider
February 14th, 2011, 15:10
Hello,

In my opinion this plane doesn't fly very well, during water landing I only can get it down to 36Kts won't stop. If this plane will eventually be payware it will need a lot of work on the flight model and the textures to compete with the payware out there. I realize it's not a full release, but it was supposed to be very close to release at this point. Just doesn't fly well IMO. Well there's one opinion, just trying to be honest so that the real release will hopefully be as good as possible, but at this point I wouldn't have paid for it if this was any indication of what was going to be released. There is more things to say but I just don't want to dog it too much seeing how it's free and don't know what the payware plane will be like Thanks for the free trial.

Sincerely, Rockitglider

FSN
February 14th, 2011, 15:15
In all fairness Bruce did a great job on the flight dynamics after working with our Cheif Beta Tester, Walt Darran. Without the programming that goes with the FD, it does act wonky. As well when you land on water...you won't come to a complete stop and like the real aircraft you have to throw a notch of beta into it.

Rockitglider
February 14th, 2011, 15:23
Hello again,

I really love the air tractor plane always have, I just hope that they put some good work into it so we can finally have a great air tractor for FSX. Are you part of the team?

Rockitglider

FSN
February 14th, 2011, 15:25
Hello again,

I really love the air tractor plane always have, I just hope that they put some good work into it so we can finally have a great air tractor for FSX. Are you part of the team?

Rockitglider

Ya, didn't the sig give it away? lol

Rockitglider
February 14th, 2011, 15:38
Ya I guess Duh

When is the time frame now as I guess you're going to start from scratch in 3D Max? Seems like alot of work.

Rockitglider

FSN
February 14th, 2011, 15:46
I don't have a time frame yet but ya alot of effort and time has been invested so far from all the guys and having to redo it will be yet another big effort. The model you're flying was worked over from one we purchased from Turbo Squid and this new one will start with two strait lines complete from scratch.

Luckily we have all the info from our partners like Fire Boss LLC so that takes the guess work out of things.

Rockitglider
February 14th, 2011, 15:54
Well that's a good thing, Good luck with it and I'll be watching out at your site for news.

See ya, Rockitglider :jump:

Delta_Whiskey
February 14th, 2011, 17:30
i'm actually still at work (airline mechanic) but i'll have to download it tonight when i get home and see what we got here and issue any applicable updates if needed

FSN
February 14th, 2011, 17:39
i'm actually still at work (airline mechanic) but i'll have to download it tonight when i get home and see what we got here and issue any applicable updates if needed

I don't want to bring the Dramafest to SOH but I'm wondering why you feel the need to keep working on a project you're no longer part of. Also note that everyone that was in the team is under the NDA with Fire Boss LLC. The information you were privy to cannot be used for your own personal development.

Meshman
February 14th, 2011, 17:48
Is this the time where I should go and get some popcorn? :costum:

N2056
February 14th, 2011, 17:49
Why not tell the rest of the story like you did in your own forum?

"Why is it free? Our modeller, not understanding the need to share his source model files with the team refused to allow anyone access to the source files essentially holding the files hostage. Seeing this as a malicious act he was then denied access to the project and removed from the team. Since his leaving he has now threatened to release the Air Tractor on his own behalf if he doesn't receive payment for the work he has done so far. After contacting several developers to help complete the project it became apparent that no one wanted to use the outdated GMAX program and we would have to start from scratch using 3D Studio Max.

Having to start from scratch means that the ex-modeller would not be getting paid and with the threat of having a free version released when our new payware version comes out, I felt the need to release this myself and let folx mess about with it while our new and fully functioning payware version is being made."

heywooood
February 14th, 2011, 17:52
uh-oh

PM is likely the best way forward on that front people....just FWIW

warchild
February 14th, 2011, 17:52
Thanks Vance...
Please folks lets keep it civil and take yhe negatives to pm..
Thanks
Pam

FSN
February 14th, 2011, 17:53
Why not tell the rest of the story like you did in your own forum?

"Why is it free? Our modeller, not understanding the need to share his source model files with the team refused to allow anyone access to the source files essentially holding the files hostage. Seeing this as a malicious act he was then denied access to the project and removed from the team. Since his leaving he has now threatened to release the Air Tractor on his own behalf if he doesn't receive payment for the work he has done so far. After contacting several developers to help complete the project it became apparent that no one wanted to use the outdated GMAX program and we would have to start from scratch using 3D Studio Max.

Having to start from scratch means that the ex-modeller would not be getting paid and with the threat of having a free version released when our new payware version comes out, I felt the need to release this myself and let folx mess about with it while our new and fully functioning payware version is being made."

Why? Because I didn't want to get all in depth here on SOH. Anyways, I'll not discuss it anymore here and I'd like to apolagize for bringing the dramafest here. Thanks for all your support on this project and we'll keep ya updated as things move forward. Cheers

Roger
February 14th, 2011, 22:52
I'll close it for now to allow the drama to settle down...but having released the model the developers cannot expect forum members not to discuss and/or try to enhance the unfinished product.
Good luck to both parties in their respective future ventures.:ernae: