PDA

View Full Version : FSX and DX?

T Square
February 14th, 2011, 08:00
I have been toying with FSX downloaded some aircraft and got a question for a Guru. I got some aircraft that run on DX9 and some DX10 which means I constantly gotta switch, for them to display right, (I have been doing this with Fusifix). Question is this is there a magic way of doing this without having to close FSX switch then reopen FSX. I had thought maybe 2 installs but think there maybe a better way "maybe" ?

Daube
February 14th, 2011, 09:17
Well you could stay with DX9, since all the planes will display well with it :)
To my knowledge, you are forced to reboot the sim when you want to switch between DX9 and DX10 modes, there's no way around.

T Square
February 14th, 2011, 09:55
Thanks Daube

I ain't no genious when it comes to stuff like this, but it would be nice if it were possible to put some backward compatability in programs like DX.

kcgb
February 14th, 2011, 10:17
It does, you don't have to use DX10 to run DX10 plane, DX10 planes will work in DX9

brettt777
February 15th, 2011, 10:10
I have been toying with FSX downloaded some aircraft and got a question for a Guru. I got some aircraft that run on DX9 and some DX10 which means I constantly gotta switch, for them to display right, (I have been doing this with Fusifix). Question is this is there a magic way of doing this without having to close FSX switch then reopen FSX. I had thought maybe 2 installs but think there maybe a better way "maybe" ?

What kind of display issues do you have on these aircraft? The reason I ask is because I have a number of planes that don't work with DX10 but are okay with DX9. I just get blank models, no textures or partial textures. The problem is that for some reason my laptop runs FSX great with DX10 but terrible with DX9. It's pretty much unusable with DX9; fps in the 8-12 range even with graphics turned down. With DX10 I get 20-25 fps even with graphics turned way up. What is so different about certain graphics that they will display in DX10 but not DX9?

Thoe6969
February 15th, 2011, 10:21
I think the biggest reason your getting more frames with dx10 is the fact that your not getting any anistropic or AA out of your video card in dx10.I didn't when I tried dx10 but I didn't try in game settings.

brettt777
February 15th, 2011, 10:51
I think the biggest reason your getting more frames with dx10 is the fact that your not getting any anistropic or AA out of your video card in dx10.I didn't when I tried dx10 but I didn't try in game settings.

Is that a function (or non-function) of DX10 or the video card? My laptop has an i7 720QM, Radeon HD 5870 with 1gb DDR5, and 8 gb DDR3 running Windows 7 Home remium. These specs are way better than my Dell desktop but FSX actualy runs better on the desktop. Only difference is that my desktop is still running XP.

Thoe6969
February 15th, 2011, 11:50
Is that a function (or non-function) of DX10 or the video card? My laptop has an i7 720QM, Radeon HD 5870 with 1gb DDR5, and 8 gb DDR3 running Windows 7 Home remium. These specs are way better than my Dell desktop but FSX actualy runs better on the desktop. Only difference is that my desktop is still running XP. I,m thinking that it would be a DX10 non function because most newer cards are DX10 compatable.

brettt777
February 16th, 2011, 06:42
So I started tweaking a few things in my ATI catalyst control center and managed to make some of the textures that were working in DX10, not work in DX10. Just some of them, not all. So I had an F-8 Crusader with texture on the outside but no texture on the inside (it use to work). I guess that means if I tweak it just right I might be able to get all of it working...? I am wanting to install the latest and greatest drivers for my video card but have heard a few not so good things about that. Kinda sceeeeerred......
What is so different about some of these textures that some will work with DX10 and some won't?
Also, where do you find out exactly what version of Direct X you have in Windows 7?