PDA

View Full Version : 1 in 4 new RAF pilots ...

stiz
February 13th, 2011, 23:28
.... are to be told their no longer needed later ... in other words, 100 pilots are being fired :frown:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20110214/tuk-raf-to-lose-one-in-four-new-pilots-45dbed5.html

noddy
February 14th, 2011, 04:24
Well that's another fine mess, spend all that money to get them trained then just dump them! What is going to be next, do we now go out to tender to get the cheapest price for our armed forces?

Creepy847
February 14th, 2011, 04:29
Theres a prime example to never hold all your eggs in one basket... Its a damn shame that all these fine men and women are basically being told your entire lifes work up to this point is for nill...

Makes me sick to my stomach...

txnetcop
February 14th, 2011, 06:01
Disgustingly stupid...the world is not a safe!

Bjoern
February 14th, 2011, 06:53
The RAF should at least pay them a conversion course to ease the jump into a civilian aviation career...

Clarke123
February 14th, 2011, 08:06
The RAF should at least pay them a conversion course to ease the jump into a civilian aviation career...
The RAF aint got two pennies to rub together let alone fund another flight training program for pilots they're not gonna use. That's the problem.

Z-IanMCD
February 14th, 2011, 08:26
Then again, in civilian life 10000's are being laid off. I see no reason why the military should escape cuts whereby a whole society pays the price of the crisis.

Moreover, RAF pilots are highly trained and well educated individuals, they should have no problem finding other employment.

Now, if someone would say that the pilots should keep their jobs and the banks would have to fork up the money for them, I would agree wholeheartedly!

Bone
February 14th, 2011, 08:44
A crushing blow to these lads, for sure.

stiz
February 14th, 2011, 11:34
Well that's another fine mess, spend all that money to get them trained then just dump them!

however it is cheaper than offering redunceys to currently flying personal. It makes unfortunate sense, less planes = less pilots and AAMs (who are also getting hit hard)

Then again, in civilian life 10000's are being laid off. I see no reason why the military should escape cuts whereby a whole society pays the price of the crisis.

trust me ... they aint ... but thinking that the cuts are being done fairley in any way whatsoever is a complete farce :monkies:

Z-IanMCD
February 14th, 2011, 11:51
trust me ... they aint ... but thinking that the cuts are being done fairly in any way whatsoever is a complete farce :monkies:

Of course the cuts aren't being done fairly or wisely: they're being done by politicians... Even when those same politicians are sooooooo busy keeping the bankers from paying for what they have done. Not only to the military, but to the whole global society...

But again, these RAF pilots stand a very good chance indeed to get worthwhile jobs. They have the brains, the education and social skills to do really well. They'll go through a hell of a setback, but isn't that part of life? In other words "**** happens"...

The article wasn't too clear about the economical logic behind the decision either. You never know, maybe there actually IS logic behind all of this! ;)

stiz
February 14th, 2011, 12:13
But again, these RAF pilots stand a very good chance indeed to get worthwhile jobs. They have the brains, the education and social skills to do really well. They'll go through a hell of a setback, but isn't that part of life? In other words "**** happens"...

true "*** happens" however i dont think they stand a very good chance indeed. The RAF would have the kept the really bright ones. The others might be bright, but what have they got on paper? How many where fresh outta 6 form with just A levels? sure some might have gone to uni and got degrees .. however degrees dont = certain job anymore.

Also these guys wont be fully fledge RAF pilots, so they'll prolly have a PPL at the most, also its only after basic and you go onto type does the real training begin! And from whats been said around the civi airline pilot jobs are hottly contested, as a boss who would you choose .. an experience pilot whos possibly a fully trained ex millitray pilot and most likely a good 30+yrs flying experience ... or a 20 summing pilot who didnt finish training and only has a couple of years max flying experience??

The article wasn't too clear about the economical logic behind the decision either. You never know, maybe there actually IS logic behind all of this! ;)

*introduces coffee to monitor* :bump:

Bone
February 14th, 2011, 18:16
It's highly unlikely these guys will get flying jobs when they leave the service. When guys get their wings in a military flight program, the truth is they're low timers and don't meet the minimums to get a commercial job. These guys are geting the bump before getting their wings, which makes them even less qualified. For instance, USAF pilots have about 180 flight hours and another 100 in simulators when they get their wings. The 100 hours of sim time doesn't count on an application, and 180 hours is nothing when it comes to getting a commercial job. Of course, to another military pilot, the recent graduate is considered "qualified" and good to go....but commercial operators don't see it that way.

Flyboy208
February 14th, 2011, 19:06
Another thing to consider, getting a flying job in the civilian world depends highly on the type of aircraft flown in the military. For instance a US Navy aviator that logged 1000 hours in a C-9 is more likely to get a good job than the guy with 2000 hours in Hornets ...

Mike

Bone
February 14th, 2011, 19:17
Yeah, these poor guys getting the boot would probably kill to have 1000-2000 hours.

Panther_99FS
February 14th, 2011, 19:27
While I empathize with these aviators....I also must point out that what gets left out in the shuffle is how many support career field personnel will also be shown towards the exit door....

stuartcox
February 14th, 2011, 23:13
...and now 38 army personnel were sacked via email, one of which is on active duty in Afghanistan!
What a moral boost! The MOD call it an "admin mistake"!

Bone
February 15th, 2011, 05:39
While I empathize with these aviators....I also must point out that what gets left out in the shuffle is how many support career field personnel will also be shown towards the exit door....

You have a good point.

Bjoern
February 15th, 2011, 12:26
...and now 38 army personnel were sacked via email, one of which is on active duty in Afghanistan!
What a moral boost! The MOD call it an "admin mistake"!

Maybe the OPFOR treats 'em better...?

- Edit:
Just to be clear: I am implying defection.

Odie
February 15th, 2011, 12:35
I remember in the months following Operation Desert Storm, the US military downsized. There was an interview with an A-6 driver that was on his way out that said he had 10 years of service and was too old to transition to a new aircraft and didn't know what he was going to do once out of the Navy.....sounds like similar conditions here.