PDA

View Full Version : Computer Question

Devildog73
February 13th, 2011, 12:33
Okay, so here is the deal:
I want to know the skinny on Duo Core, Quad Core, Intel vs AMD, 4 Gigs of RAM vs 8 Gigs of RAM, ATI Radeon vs nVidia, 512 or 1 Gig vid RAM, etc. as it relates to our favorite flight sims.

Has anyone been able to zero out their frame rates with what we currently have available for computers on the market "within a reasonable" price? For my terms, resonable is at or under $1500. US.

I am currently running a Duo Core Intel 2.4Gig CPU with 4 Gigs of RAM with an nVidia Geforce 9800GT with 1 Gig of vid RAM. I dual boot into either Vista or XP. Under XP I only get 3.37Gigs of the system RAM. I run at all graphics maxed out and never see anything lower than 45 FPS.

On my laptop, I am running Duo Core AMD 2.4 Gig CPU with 4 Gigs of system RAM and an ATI Radeon 1250 vid card with 512 Megs of vid RAM. I dual boot into either XP or Windows 7X64. My vid card is the anchor to my flight sim dragging my FPS down if I max out settings, which produces our wonderful slide shows below 20 FPS. Flights that are no problem on the big computer get all the way down to single digit FPS on the laptop.

Just curious for when I look at a new laptop.
The big machine, I will continue to do what I already do, change out components......

Semper Fi.

Bjoern
February 13th, 2011, 13:43
Unless you go for an expensive, "not portable" desktop PC in laptop format, laptops are useless for higher end gaming.

This is especially true for resource hogs like FSX.

txnetcop
February 13th, 2011, 13:58
I guess I better get busy and write that book 'cause that is what you're asking for. You find all of your answers over in the FSX guides sections under various topics.
Ted

gigabyte
February 14th, 2011, 02:31
I guess I better get busy and write that book 'cause that is what you're asking for. You find all of your answers over in the FSX guides sections under various topics.
Ted

Ted, get writing, and put Gig down for a copy...

txnetcop
February 14th, 2011, 06:06
Ted, get writing, and put Gig down for a copy...

Actually there are so many good ones out there I decided not to do it, GiG! After the new Microsoft Flight and X-Plane 10 come out I am going to write a guide on how to optimize your flight-simming experience to include an equipment section. I received an approval to use both sims for benchmarks at TechCorp. I'm planning to ask Nick N for his input as well.
Ted

OleBoy
February 14th, 2011, 09:51
After the new Microsoft Flight and X-Plane 10 come out I am going to write a guide on how to optimize your flight-simming experience to include an equipment section. I received an approval to use both sims for benchmarks at TechCorp.
Ted

No FSX in that equation? Must be due to too many variables (scratches head)

txnetcop
February 14th, 2011, 11:16
No FSX in that equation? Must be due to too many variables (scratches head)

Already a great guide out there at Flight 1 and Simviation-Nick N