PDA

View Full Version : Running Multiple Installs Under Win 7

OBIO
February 13th, 2011, 10:34
It seems as though fate/fortune/luck/my wife have smiled upon me and I will likely be building a new system in the near future....a couple weeks to a month. A 6-Core CPU, 4gig of DDR3 RAM, a 1gig graphics card with DDR5 memory. A real killer of a system.

Initially I will be running Win XP Pro, but in time I will be adding a new HD and installing Win 7 on it...dual boot style. Will keep the XP Pro around to ensure that all of my tweaking and modding programs and utilities are functional...but will do my flying in Win 7 to take advantage of the 4 gig of RAM and the multiple cores (3.2gig each without overclocking!).

Now, under XP the way I set up my multiple installs was to copy and paste one install, do some renaming to the main folder and the exe file, then go into the Documents/Owner/App Data place and make a copy of the config file there and rename it to match the name of the new installs.

How does on go about setting up multiple installs of FS9 under Win 7?

All my installs and mesh and scenery are on a dedicated 500gig SATA drive and this drive will be going into the new system with all the files intact...so hopefully I do not need to go through a bunch of hoops and hurdles to get them to work under Win 7.

OBIO

robert41
February 13th, 2011, 11:31
I have an I7 core, Win7-64, a single hard drive split into 3 sections. One for the operating system, one for FSX, and one I used for two installs of FS9.
Keep the operating system seperate from the flight sims installs.

Have had no problem installing things to FS9, just point to the right place. Win 7 seems good about this, better than XP was.

The CFGs all go to C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\(Your Windows User Name)\Microsoft\FS9 or FSX by default in Win 7.

I would recommend at least 6GB of memory.