PDA

View Full Version : BGL Scenery objects question

Chris Sykes
February 13th, 2011, 01:33
Hi,

Im trying to find out if i can have certain object files in a BGL to show up in FSX during a specific time period like a couple of months for instance.

Does any one know if this is possible and if so how?

Chris

dexthom
February 13th, 2011, 04:30
I use Fence Builder Pro from FSAddon to place objects and effects, including sounds. You have the option of setting the time and length of the display during the compile process.

spotlope
February 13th, 2011, 08:54
You're talking about conditional display of objects based on sim vars, which is something the Aces stripped from FSX. Effects can have conditional display, but not objects. In conjunction with Orbx, I had to go find a talented FSX programmer and task him with creating an add-on module that does just that, and more, for objects. If there had been a way to do it within the SDK's, we would have found it. There simply isn't.

Actually, there's one case in which it can be done - within the mission structure. But in free-flight, sorry, it's a no-go.

Chris Sykes
February 14th, 2011, 00:50
Thanks for both of your replys, i tried the Fence Builder demo but didnt get on with it too well... (to the point i couldnt get a object to show in FSX)

I guessed the case may be that it isnt possible...

GaryGB
February 14th, 2011, 03:58
Hi Chris:

Depending on what types of objects (and how many) you are wanting to display, as well as the conditions under which you want them to be displayed, the info in this thread might be of some interest to you:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18180&highlight=seasonal+effect

A more comprehensive method for implementing conditional display of static and dynamic object content in FSX would otherwise require use of a 3rd party "module"... as Bill W. indicated above.

FSX SDK methods allow "scheduled" display of AI Aircraft and certain special SimObjects (which can be mostly static with only 'occasional' required movement along pre-programmed routes).

Low-complexity ground traffic objects that 'continuously appear, move, and reappear' along special types of vector lines (within LOD 13 / QMID level 15 sized areas) can be implemented as well, however these do not seem to allow "conditional" control.

Additionally, IIRC, objects displayed via the SDK "Living World" methods (via a type of controller module) are in a state of 'constant movement' within a defined geographical area.

Hope this info helps ! :mixedsmi:

GaryGB

scott967b
February 14th, 2011, 13:51
I think if you have an FS9 model that otherwise displays OK in FSX, you can use MDL Tweaker II on it?

scott s.

anthony31
February 14th, 2011, 16:53
Yes, You can use MDL tweaker II to add conditions to FS9 objects.

It's the only way I know of to get well modelled windsocks (instead of the fugly FSX default windsocks) that actually work properly in FSX (ie responds to wind direction and speed).

Using MDL tweaker II you can set the time of day, day of year and year that the object will appear so as long as you don't have any need for transparency and only have a few objects then it may be worthwhile creating them as FS9 objects and giving them a tweak.

Chris Sykes
February 15th, 2011, 00:38
Again thanks for your replies! Im using FSX MDL files so i dont think Mdl Tweaker is going to work... This im going to have to add a sellection of variation BGL's so the user can choose a random placement of certain objects.