PDA

View Full Version : FSX "Gold Edition" vs. FSX Plain Vanilla

TARPSBird
February 12th, 2011, 23:14
A quick and (hopefully) easy question from us FS2004 hold-outs who may want to transition to FSX or at least dabble a bit. Aside from the price, what is the difference between the "Gold Edition" of FSX and the "regular" edition of FSX?

kcgb
February 12th, 2011, 23:22
Normal FSX = no SDK or Acceleration
FSX Deluxe = SDK
FSX Gold = Acceleration and SDK

stiz
February 12th, 2011, 23:32
FSX Deluxe = SDK

and some extra planes (maule and goose?)

If you want to be fully updated and with no hassel then get the Gold edition to get everything :)

paulb
February 12th, 2011, 23:48
At today's prices (as opposed to the prices when they were released) I would certainly get the Gold edition. In the UK you can pick it up for about £20 ($30). It includes the base FSX and the Acceleration expansion pack. Most new releases nowadays are tested in FSX + Acceleration.

TARPSBird
February 13th, 2011, 00:08
Thanks for the replies, gents. SDK's I'm familiar with from FS2004. Additional planes, OK. What does the Acceleration expansion feature add to the sim?

paulb
February 13th, 2011, 00:23
It includes all of the SPs (which you can get for free)
Extra aircraft - eg F-18 Hornet
I found the Hornet useful, although I dont use it, its gauges are used by some freeware aircraft - eg Tim Conrad's Super Tucano and Dino's Goshawk. I love the Super Tucano, so that alone makes Acceleration worthwhile for me.
It has a few other things. Read this for a full list and review -
http://www.flightsim.com/main/review/accel/accel.htm

orionll
February 13th, 2011, 00:25
Acceleration gives you the FA-18 Hornet, P-51 Mustang, EH-101 helicopter, new missions (racing missions, multiplayer missions, carrier ops, helicopter sling/hoist), and various improved scenery. Definitely worth getting, if you're not already getting it as part of FSX Gold (Gold is basically Deluxe and Acceleration in the same box).

Mathias
February 13th, 2011, 01:05
SDK's I'm familiar with from FS2004.......

What doesn't help with FSX if you're going to develope stuff for it.
If you are in any way into doing stuff for FSX you really want the SDK.

EDIT: In addition to what has been said, Acceleration also adds functionality such as catapult launches and sling/hoist functionality,

Ferry_vO
February 13th, 2011, 02:43
EDIT: In addition to what has been said, Acceleration also adds functionality such as catapult launches and sling/hoist functionality,

..And better turbocharging, which is used by aircraft like the A2A Boeing 377.

Like with all previous Fs versions that came in different versions, get the most complete one (Gold) or sooner or later you'll run into add-ons that do not function properly.

paulb
February 13th, 2011, 04:03
get the most complete one (Gold) or sooner or later you'll run into add-ons that do not function properly.

I think that is the key point, and at today's prices it represents excellent value.

robert41
February 13th, 2011, 08:23
What I have found is, basic fsx offers very little over a good fs9, but add acceleration and it is a whole new sim. Much more realism is possible in aircraft and scenery.

Daveroo
February 13th, 2011, 08:30
accerleration is hard to find..i finally found it on amazon..but PC aviator has "gold" for 49 US dollars.....im temped to buy a gold version just to have it for when i upgrade my pc at a later date

argo147
February 13th, 2011, 09:43
I would go with the Gold edition. If you're a fan of naval aviation then it's a must have, without it you can't do cat shots or arrested landings. The extra aircraft are worth it too IMO.

DB93
February 16th, 2011, 15:35
FSX Gold edition is available on Amazon for $28.54 (USD). Sold by Amazon, and eligible for free super saver shipping.

n4gix
February 17th, 2011, 11:31
It's also available via the MS Store. Interestingly enough, FSX Gold is $10 cheaper than FSX Deluxe!

FSX Gold $29.95
http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Flight-Simulator-X-Gold-Edition-PC-Game/product/25ACE6F8

FSX Deluxe $39.95
http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Flight-Simulator-X-Deluxe-Edition-PC-Game/product/37B5BA15

FSX Standard $29.95
http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Flight-Simulator-X-Standard-Edition-PC-Game/product/3020475B

delta_lima
February 17th, 2011, 12:12
TB, I was exactly where you are about 6 months ago.

Believe me, I was a die-hard FS Golden Wings/Silver Wings fan, Calclassics, etc. I knew I'd mostly loose that aspect of FS9, but knew that with FSX Gold, I'd have a much enhanced carrier aviation experience. So, I bought Gold, thinking I'd fly FSX just for carrier flying, and FS9 for everything else .... all the FSX oldtimers know where this is going ...

Never loaded up FS9 a single time thereafter. I never slam that sim - hate it when people do, because it gave me years of enjoyment. The point is that with Gold, the carrier flying 9moving carriers) is so good, with so many phenomenal naval planes (check out the Bearcat, Etendard, A-7, Wyvern, and other products out there just for FSX), that it swung me iover mmediately.

The decision shouldn't be FSX Deluxe vs FSX Gold; it should be FS9 all dressed up (and that's not a bad option), or FSX Gold. If you're a naval aviation fan, then the choice is inevitable.

Don't listen to the naysayers who say your sim will operate like a slide show. I've had the same computer for over 3 years. Ran FS9 w/ GW3 and custom AI at about 90% of full graphic settings. Am running FSX at almost maxed out graphic settings. Only the AI is turned down, given that I haven't yet figured out how to port over my classic AI stuff yet. The key for me was getting my fsx.cfg reconfigured as per Jesus' Altuve tweaks. The difference this little upload/download exercise makes is mind-blowing. Do this, if nothing else:

http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

this is also helpful:

http://www.fsworld.co.za/community/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=208

I hope that helps!

dl

Bjoern
February 17th, 2011, 12:42
It's also available via the MS Store. Interestingly enough, FSX Gold is $10 cheaper than FSX Deluxe!

Only in the US.

FSX Standard ~ 50$
FSX Deluxe ~ 60$
Acceleration ~ 40$
Gold ~ 70$

And here's the kicker: FS9 ~ 22$

G'dammit, Microsoft! :mad:

paulb
February 17th, 2011, 14:37
TB, I was exactly where you are about 6 months ago.

Believe me, I was a die-hard FS Golden Wings/Silver Wings fan, Calclassics, etc. I knew I'd mostly loose that aspect of FS9, but knew that with FSX Gold, I'd have a much enhanced carrier aviation experience. So, I bought Gold, thinking I'd fly FSX just for carrier flying, and FS9 for everything else .... all the FSX oldtimers know where this is going ...

Never loaded up FS9 a single time thereafter. I never slam that sim - hate it when people do, because it gave me years of enjoyment. The point is that with Gold, the carrier flying 9moving carriers) is so good, with so many phenomenal naval planes (check out the Bearcat, Etendard, A-7, Wyvern, and other products out there just for FSX), that it swung me iover mmediately.

The decision shouldn't be FSX Deluxe vs FSX Gold; it should be FS9 all dressed up (and that's not a bad option), or FSX Gold. If you're a naval aviation fan, then the choice is inevitable.

Don't listen to the naysayers who say your sim will operate like a slide show. I've had the same computer for over 3 years. Ran FS9 w/ GW3 and custom AI at about 90% of full graphic settings. Am running FSX at almost maxed out graphic settings. Only the AI is turned down, given that I haven't yet figured out how to port over my classic AI stuff yet. The key for me was getting my fsx.cfg reconfigured as per Jesus' Altuve tweaks. The difference this little upload/download exercise makes is mind-blowing. Do this, if nothing else:

http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

this is also helpful:

http://www.fsworld.co.za/community/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=208

I hope that helps!

dl

I agree 100% with you re carrier flying. I too am a die hard FS9 fan, but nowadays I hardly ever boot it up. FSX has 'grown up' in the past few years with some really great addons.

Now, I don't want to start taking this thread off topic, but I find that the 'tweaks' all depend on the power of the pc. I used some of them - to my benefit - on my last pc. But, on my new pc I have tried many of them and honestly have not found any benefit. So, I just play with my FSX sliders and NVidia Inspector and leave the FSX config alone ;).

I guess that the other point that I would want to share with TARPSbird, is that FSX is a whole lot more demanding on the pc than FS9 ever was. I still don't get a fluid experience at a big airport with the sliders turned up. But, for smaller airports/bush flying FSX now runs really well - even with a complex aircraft in OrbX scenery.

Cheers

Paul

delta_lima
February 17th, 2011, 14:53
Totally fair comment, Paul, and you're right that tweaks don't always give everyone the same results. To be honest, how it is that I can get performance equal to what I had in FS9 defies my ability to explain, save for the possiblity that maybe I never tweaked FS9 properly, and could have had even better performance than I what I experienced.

TB, I guess what we're both trying to say is that if you like carrier flying, and your pc can comfortably handle FS9, then FSX+Accel is the real reason to make the switch, and is likely tweakable to a level that gives you a good experience. Alternativelly, for the kind of flying I think you like, I don't think you would be much better off in FSX Deluxe than you are now in FS9.

:ernae:

dl

I agree 100% with you re carrier flying. I too am a die hard FS9 fan, but nowadays I hardly ever boot it up. FSX has 'grown up' in the past few years with some really great addons.

Now, I don't want to start taking this thread off topic, but I find that the 'tweaks' all depend on the power of the pc. I used some of them - to my benefit - on my last pc. But, on my new pc I have tried many of them and honestly have not found any benefit. So, I just play with my FSX sliders and NVidia Inspector and leave the FSX config alone ;).

I guess that the other point that I would want to share with TARPSbird, is that FSX is a whole lot more demanding on the pc than FS9 ever was. I still don't get a fluid experience at a big airport with the sliders turned up. But, for smaller airports/bush flying FSX now runs really well - even with a complex aircraft in OrbX scenery.

Cheers

Paul

TARPSBird
February 17th, 2011, 15:41
Some great commentary in response to my original post. Thanks again guys, this is a great help for entry-level FSX. :salute:

Cazzie
February 17th, 2011, 15:56
Saw a copy of FSX Gold at the local Wally World today for $29.95. That's the route to take TARPS.

Caz

TomSteber
February 18th, 2011, 02:11
I too have now made the jump. I picked up "Gold Edition" for $29. After all I've heard over the years I just assumed that my computer wouldn't run it at all or very well. I've been able to run FS9 with add-ons wide open. Looks great. But the other day I thought I would load up FSX just for kicks to see what happened.

OMG

I can run it! Not only can I run it, but I can run it with most of the sliders all the way up.
Now granted that drives my frame rates way down. But if I'm flying the stuff that came with it or some freeware planes. I'm still getting frame rates between 50 and the low teens. Only if I fly some of the pay ware planes that I have that work for both FS9 and FSX do my frame rates drop into the single digits. I haven't tried any cfg changes yet. Don't want to mess up a good thing, you know? But I'm sure I'll get braver as time goes by.

I am truly blown away. There is a learning curve and I'm not crazy about a some of my key commands being different, but I'll learn. I've even been flying on line for the first time in the last few days! Great new fun!