PDA

View Full Version : trouble with game start-up

gosd
February 12th, 2011, 20:15
I just reinstalled cfs3 on my machine with XP. When I start the game I get a brief look at the opening screen and the game does not come onlyne.I had a look at different files to notice that there is no C:\Documents and Settings\XXX\Application Data\Microsoft\Combat Flight Simulator 3.0\
(where XXX = your user name)
file created, this might explain why the game does not start.
Any idea what to do about this problem ?

Tailwind
February 13th, 2011, 16:45
I just reinstalled cfs3 on my machine with XP. When I start the game I get a brief look at the opening screen and the game does not come onlyne.I had a look at different files to notice that there is no C:\Documents and Settings\XXX\Application Data\Microsoft\Combat Flight Simulator 3.0\
(where XXX = your user name)
file created, this might explain why the game does not start.
Any idea what to do about this problem ?

Hi

That file is created only after the game is fun successfully for the first time. Likely the game is crashing before it is created

Have you run the CFS3 config file yet?

TW

gosd
February 15th, 2011, 17:59
I am still having a problem stating up the game. When I run the CFS3 config what operations should I do ?
In the C:\Documents and Settings\XXX\Application Data\Microsoft\Combat Flight Simulator 3.0\
(where XXX = your user name) there are no CFS3.xca, ConfigOverrides.xml.bak, uisel.xml, unlimited pilots.xml and viewui.xml files.
How can I get the game to run whitout crashing on start-up ?

KellyB
February 16th, 2011, 04:46
Some more info, please:

Are we talking about vanilla cfs3?
If this is a re-install, did you make sure the old files and folders got cleaned out manually before you did your install?

Try a defrag of the drive.

If all else fails, uninstall cfs3 using Windows add/remove programs, and then go find the old folders which don't get nicely cleaned out, and clean them out manually.
Then defrag.
then reinstall and defrag again.

Itsa pain, I know, but something is left over from a previous install it seems that is corrupting things.

You do have my sympathy; been there and have several t-shirts...

gosd
February 16th, 2011, 21:39
KellYB, thanks for the tip, unfotunately no cigar. Still afther defrag when I start the game I only get a glimpse of the opening scene that's all.
And still nothing in the C:\Documents and Settings\XXX\Application Data\Microsoft\Combat Flight Simulator 3.0\ file.

KellyB
February 17th, 2011, 05:21
AARGH! Something has corrupted your install, but it's always a guess as to precisely what.
As TAILWIND pointed out, the Appdata files only get created after cfs3 loads successfully, so it's no surprise the file your looking for isn't there.

Has anything else on your machine changed, like antivirus or antispyware software?

Have you noticed any other odd performance with other programs?

If not, then it's really tough to diagnose from here, and all I can suggest is to uninstall cfs3, making sure you delete the leftover folders and reinstall. Defrag both times.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

gosd
February 17th, 2011, 19:39
Thanks:salute: finally got it working by temporary removing the antivirus.

gosd
February 17th, 2011, 19:42
Thanks:salute:Finally got it working by temporary removing the antivirus.
One small problem remains the mouse arrow flikers.

KellyB
February 18th, 2011, 05:33
Don't you just love computers? Fix one thing and another pops up!

I was using Norton until about a year ago when I discovered it hated elements of ETO like the BDP zapper and got in the way a lot while trying to fly, so I fired them and got AVG AntiVirus, which has the benefit of being free and has the support of Kim Komando, the digital goddess...

I'm at a loss to explain flickering mice cursors. A web search might turn up some help for your specific mouse. The first thing I might try would be to unplug it and re-plug it and see if Windows will detect it and configure it.

It does seem to be related to your machine's configuration rather than a CFS3 problem.