PDA

View Full Version : CITYSCAPE PORTLAND FREEWARE - Now Available!

JayKae
February 12th, 2011, 00:46
http://fullterrain.com/freeware.html#na

This is NOT KPDX, but the Portland City Scape, enjoy folks !

Kowalski65
February 12th, 2011, 00:54
Awesome-downloading now!

IanHenry
February 12th, 2011, 00:56
Many thanks for the head up on this Jay, it looks great.

Regards,
Ian.

W. Bleddyn
February 12th, 2011, 01:00
Awesome, thank you very much!

JayKae
February 12th, 2011, 01:40
Also together with the new OD for REX today a little novelty happening here on server level .. torrent distribution, really only by popular demand :)

BOOM
February 12th, 2011, 02:41
Sweet!!! Thanks JayKae!!!!

robcap
February 12th, 2011, 03:14
I'm giving it a go now.
Great stuff

Roger
February 12th, 2011, 03:22
Yep me too! Thanks for the hu JayKae:ernae:

Gets a stickie

papab
February 12th, 2011, 04:14
Downloading now-----
Rick

TeaSea
February 12th, 2011, 04:18
I tell you what....Orbx has sold me. Now that I have a system that will run it with no issues, I am impressed. I'll be buying NA Blue next month(birthday!). I've always hesitated before due to system issues and the cost, but trying the freeware test run has sold me. :wiggle:

Bruce Thompson
February 12th, 2011, 05:33
Thanks for the HU JaeKae, downloading now, looks superb.

big-mike
February 12th, 2011, 07:47
Thank you for that great gift!
Just made a short flight and all i can say-WOW!
Must be an hugh amount of work..
Michael

paulb
February 12th, 2011, 10:56
Thank you for a great addition to PNW :applause:

Navy Chief
February 12th, 2011, 12:19
VERY nice!!!!!!

limjack
February 12th, 2011, 14:12
:jump::jump::jump:Home sweet home, much appreciated on my end:jump::jump::jump:

Happy Jim

limjack
February 12th, 2011, 15:37
A long long time ago I used to take my (then) girlfriend up to Mt. Scott and watch the sun go down. I feel like I am right there. Thank again for your hard work on the package, I love it!!!

Jim

Shylock
February 12th, 2011, 18:58
Windows 7 and Norton wont let it install on my end and trouble shooting now. The screen shots look great and once installed I'm sure it will be amazing.

orionll
February 12th, 2011, 18:59
Is the Orbx PNW a requirement? Will it work with default scenery?

JayKae
February 13th, 2011, 02:49
Sorry to hear about the trouble with Norton, can you please make sure you file a report with them as well ? I just done it myself too

@Orion, it will work but it just does not blend as well as it should because it was made to blend with our FTX base.

txnetcop
February 13th, 2011, 03:34
OUTSTANDING JAEKAE! Thank you
Ted

Gdavis101
February 13th, 2011, 22:02
Blends well into Megascenery Earth as well! Thank you..

Shylock
February 14th, 2011, 18:19
Still no go for me. Norton is blocking it and saying its infected. AAARRRGGGGG I tried downloading from the two mirror links and nada. Oh well.

Stan V.
February 14th, 2011, 18:46
Still no go for me. Norton is blocking it and saying its infected. AAARRRGGGGG I tried downloading from the two mirror links and nada. Oh well.

Do you have any indication that a NORTON component called "Sonar" is the origin of the infection message? I had a number of error messages from that component in my NIS 2011 accompanied by associated quarantine action - so many that I turned off that one component permanently. Since then, I have had no more false infection messages from NIS - and as far as I know, no viruses either.

JayKae
February 15th, 2011, 04:00
Try what Stan said and again please report it with Norton, I did already for you. Also what you could do, is deactivate Norton, install the scenery and activate Norton again, it should leave the files alone.

W. Bleddyn
February 15th, 2011, 12:25
You guys really have done a great job on this. Thank you!

Shylock
February 15th, 2011, 14:44
Thanks Stan that did it. I just built this PC and Norton came free with the MB. Norton on my older rig did not have this feature on it. Woot Woot!!!

Jay I have reported it all three times to them and hope they straighten it out on their end for other users of Norton.

JayKae
February 15th, 2011, 15:02
Excellent, glad you got it sorted, thank you for the assistance with that as well Stan

ryanbatc
February 15th, 2011, 16:00
A long long time ago I used to take my (then) girlfriend up to Mt. Scott and watch the sun go down. I feel like I am right there. Thank again for your hard work on the package, I love it!!!

Jim

What did you do after the sun went down? :173go1:

limjack
February 15th, 2011, 17:16
What did you do after the sun went down? :173go1:

:male::female::pop4::isadizzy::icon_lol::icon_lol: :icon_lol:, then later we got married a few years later!!!

LOL

Jim

ryanbatc
February 15th, 2011, 17:46
:male::female::pop4::isadizzy::icon_lol::icon_lol: :icon_lol:, then later we got married a few years later!!!

LOL

Jim
:a1089: lmao :)

Cazzie
February 16th, 2011, 01:57
You guys are the best JayKae. It will probably cartoon my frame rates, but I have friends in Portland and it will be worth it for screenies. :>)

Caz

jimjones
February 18th, 2011, 11:40
Cool scenery!!!

Aidan Sandri
February 19th, 2011, 23:10
Its nice, ill use my words carefully.

With the upcoming Canberra Cityscapes - im expecting quality, much higher than this! I noticed all the bridges were complete, and the main CBD was - but for the amount of time it took, I was honestly expecting more.

But it doesn't matter - its freeware, I enjoy it and thats what matters right? FPS are perfect on my system (30FPS going over bridges in the A2A Spitfire).

I like it and will contunie to use it. :jump:

Timbohobo
February 20th, 2011, 00:06
Thanks for all the great comments everybody!

Hi Aidan,

Thanks for your interest in the Portland freeware.

It is hard to appreciate the time involved in modeling the CBD of a large city if you have not made scenery at all, so your impression as a non-scenery designer is understandable.

It may help if you can display a freeware city scenery that sets the benchmark you were expecting.

Obviously Freeware survives on the good feeling and the reception it receives on release. Your comments possibly don't aid that, and it might be worth choosing even more care when posting in the future.

Cheers
Tim Harris

Aidan Sandri
February 20th, 2011, 00:21
Tim-

The timeframes, I could not agree more - im not a scenery designer (I take my hat off to you, ive tried but have failed on many occasions, even with the fantastic tutorials at Ozx!)

I generally do not look for photoreal w/ autogen cities/regions (unless it is an regions/airport from either Orbx or FlyTampa - I only buy scenery from those two vendors).

Im sorry if I offended you in anyway with my comments (but they are my personal opinons, everybody has a different opinon, some will love it, some will hate it.), but as I said at the end of my last post;

I like it and will continue to use it

hcornea
February 20th, 2011, 02:40
.... but for the amount of time it took, I was honestly expecting more.

...The timeframes, I could not agree more....

I find your two posts at odds, Aidan.

I note your role reviewing at Avsim, and surely in this capacity you are aware that you need to substiate claims you make, rather than simply making wild "pie in the sky" comments.

I think Tim's suggestion of a screenshot to explain what you expect from good freeware scenery is a great idea, and I'll certainly be interested also. Even some verbal detail about what should have been included, when compared to other freeware cityscapes you have seen or reviewed.

As they say, you need to "put your money where your mouth is", then we can all better understand your expectations.

So what sort of detail is reasonable to expect? I await your screenshot of a comparable scenery to find out.

Cheers,
Ian Routley

Roger
February 20th, 2011, 02:57
Let's choose our words carefully here gents. The product is freeware and we don't bash freeware: if we don't like it we delete it.

paulb
February 20th, 2011, 03:48
The product is freeware and we don't bash freeware: if we don't like it we delete it.

Exactly! :applause:

In any event, I think that the scenery is of good quality and enhances the Portland skyline in OrbX PNW nicely. I am grateful for this free addition from FTX.

I have flown over it a lot in the past two days, as I am still tweaking the settings on my new pc to try to find a compromise between near max sliders in Orcas etc and something a bit lower over the cities. Still........... that's my problem to sort out! :rolleyes:.

Cheers
Paul

W. Bleddyn
February 20th, 2011, 14:16
I was able to easily spot some of Portland's world famous landmarks.. like Voodoo Donuts ;)

Much, much more then good enough detail for freeware, and better then alot of payware I have seen. Thank you very much to everyone involved.

spotlope
February 20th, 2011, 14:34
I feel well qualified to make comments on this particular package, as it's what I see every time I go outside. What Tim has captured with this cityscape looks very much like the Portland I know and love. I feel right at home flying it! Early in the process of building this, I tried to help out by modeling some low-poly bridges that looked good but weren't too complex, and I quickly threw in the towel. It's tough to make 'em look right while on a strict poly budget. Tim has really excelled here on that count.

warchild
February 20th, 2011, 20:12
I have to agree with Spotlope// I live 150 miles southeast of portland and go there quite freaquently to the VA hospital on the hill.. You did an excellent job on it, and considering you live in aistralia and did it that well, its quite amazing.. Thanks Guys.. Keep up the great work..
PS,, how were you able to almost double my framerates over portland?? it used to be laggy as hell, but now its a dream..
Pam

N2056
February 20th, 2011, 20:17
I spend the majority of my "hobby time" building planes. I decided to try this scenery out as a diversion from the norm, and I was happy that I did. I find it to be well done and very usable on my moderate range rig. I say "well done", Tim. :salute:

That said, I note that Tim, Ian, and Aiden are new to the fold. I bid each of you welcome, but at the same time I would advise you guys that starting out in the way that I am seeing is not how we roll here.