PDA

View Full Version : Help, please. (OOMs)

Bjoern
December 1st, 2008, 12:49
I'm usually not the type who cries out for help regarding FSX and other stuff, but this issue is driving me insane.

I just wanted to take a short flight this evening, but noticed that FSX didn't have my add-on scenery loaded, so I added it into the scenery library.

The next time I wanted to fire up FSX I got this:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/t3h_3vil/Misc/fsx_oom.jpg

The error message reads "Your computer has run out of...blah" - the classical FSX OOM.
The odd thing is FSX's Ram usage. This is normally way too little for this kind of error to happen.

Things I did so far:
- check for duplicate AFX files
- boot.ini: /3GB switch
- boot.ini: /userva=2560

Nothing worked.

So I'm a bit lost here. What the heck can I still try? Did anyone else get this?

Relevant information: FSX SP2, 4GB Ram, 4GB fixed page file, Windows XP Pro x64 SP2 (fresh installation)

A FSX reinstallation is not an option at all. Never!

In the past few weeks I've had nothing but trouble with OS'es (all 64bit). I haven't done anything I hadn't done when I still had XP32 and yet, I got random BSODs on perfectly healthy hardware (verified) and other issues.

- Edit:
Seems to be related to my AI traffic's flight plans folder (treated like an AFX/scenery folder). How come?
FSX never complained about those 485 traffic files before!

- Edit˛:
The plot thickens. I could isolate a faulty traffic file. However, recompilation doesn't work. Hm˛.

Bjoern
December 1st, 2008, 13:37
I think this is worth a seperate post.

I could solve the problem. I just compiled the flight plan again in a virtual XP32 environment and everything appears to be working now. No OOM upon starting whatsoever.

Totally whack...

Sean Doran
December 2nd, 2008, 06:26
Ive got the same problems i keep getting run out of available memory , it says to adjust my scenery, terrain or traffic.

Ime at a loss.
Ime using ultimate traffic and have got rid of the GA traffic and cut down airliner traffic by half.

My Mesh complexity is set to 51
Mesh resolution is set to 10m
texture resolution set to 5M
level of detail redius is set to medium.

Scenery settings are on normal complexity and density.
If I have to turn this stuff down I'me sure FS9 would look better.
I don't get it on a short flight only longer flights

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :banghead:

System specs:
Alienware Area 51:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66GHz
4Gb Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

Sean Doran
December 2nd, 2008, 09:45
My physical memory usage is through the roof, any ideas what would cause this?

Sean Doran
December 2nd, 2008, 09:54
I found this usefull info.

On 32-bit platforms, applications are generally limited under a 2 GB boundary as the maximum size of the virtual address space. In this context, the “out of memory” errors in Windows Vista are generated by applications that have eaten up all the virtual address space allocated to them.

“Every memory allocation, file mapping, or library that is loaded by an application consumes space in this virtual address space. When the application consumes all its virtual address space, any additional such operations fail. Although all applications should be coded to handle memory allocation failures, many applications do not recover correctly from such failures. Therefore, the programs may become unstable or stop responding after they recover from such failures”, Microsoft informed.

The Redmond company directly tied the “out of memory” errors with the practice built into some applications to construct a copy of the video memory resources in virtual memory. In this regard, 32-bit systems with large amounts of video memory are particularly susceptible to the exhaustion of virtual memory, simply because of the large volume of virtual address space reserved for performing an in-memory copy of the video resources.

“To address this problem, Microsoft is changing the way that the video memory manager
maintains the content of video memory resources. This change is being made so that a permanent virtual address range does not have to be used for each virtualized allocation. With the new approach, only allocations that are created as “lockable” consume space in the virtual address space of the application. Allocations that are not created as “lockable” do not consume space. This approach significantly reduces the virtual address space that is used. Therefore, the application can run on large video memory configurations without reaching the limits,” Microsoft added.

The Redmond company, however, underscored the fact that while the move introduces a fix for excessive virtual address consumption, the solution is only temporary, as the immutable 2 GB limit will become insufficient as applications evolve. This is why Microsoft now delivers two updates designed to resolve Graphics Virtual Address issues on Windows Vista. You will be able to download the patches for 32-bit Vista from here, and for 64-Vista from here.

bkeske
December 2nd, 2008, 10:09
My physical memory usage is through the roof, any ideas what would cause this?

Seems odd Sean. I assume you are using Vista?

First thing that sticks out to me is you show that your computer has 4GB of RAM, but the Task Manager only shows a total of approx. 2.6GB physical RAM installed.

I thought Vista could automatically see 4GB without the 'switch' being used, as I do for XP?

IIRC, I typically see 1.5-1.7GB used when I run FSX out of the 3.15+/- XP can take advantage of out of the 4GB I have installed. In other words, I almost always have more than 1GB 'overhead'.

Bjoern
December 2nd, 2008, 10:21
Sean, 32bit OS?

Sean Doran
December 2nd, 2008, 10:44
sean, 32bit os?

yes,

bkeske
December 2nd, 2008, 11:04
Shouldn't Vista, even the 32bit version, see all 4GB of RAM?

(This is probably separate from you usage issue)

Butcherbird17
December 2nd, 2008, 12:19
Vista 32 bit will not see 4 GB of memory. Your Bios might see it but the OS will not. The inability for the OS to address more than 3GB of ram is a 32bit addressing system limitation. If you want to utilize 4 GB you need to use a 64 bit OS.
Sean, does this happen with any other game/sim? If it only happens with fsx, did it do it before you installed the AI traffic programs? Maybe uninstall them and try fsx with out and see if it still happens.

Joe

Sean Doran
December 2nd, 2008, 12:23
Then why would they sell it with a 32 bit system makes no sense to me, all this computer crap is really starting to piss me off.

It does not happen with any other games, I can run all the newest games maxed out with no issues.

Ill take out UT and see if it helps . Thanks

To make matters worse I cant download a fix from MS website, Hell i cant download anything from it anymore for some reason. They make things so damn difficult.

Sean Doran
December 2nd, 2008, 12:45
Ive taken out ultimate traffic, CPU usage is now 55% to 70% and physical memory has dropped to the 70's.

Butcherbird17
December 2nd, 2008, 12:48
Then why would they sell it with a 32 bit system makes no sense to me, all this computer crap is really starting to piss me off.

It does not happen with any other games, I can run all the newest games maxed out with no issues.

Ill take out UT and see if it helps . Thanks

To make matters worse I cant download a fix from MS website, Hell i cant download anything from it anymore for some reason. They make things so damn difficult.

It might be you already have the fix installed. You can check to see if you have the fix by going into Windows update and checking the update log and look for the KB number with the one at the MS site.

Joe

FAC257
December 2nd, 2008, 12:55
Sean

I was staying out of this thread because you guys were making some really interesting discoveries and points of info.

Then you mentioned UT. I'm assuming your talking UTX and if so, this one program is always 1/2 of the equation of every OOM message that I get.

It started out that anytime I tried to run UTX-Europe and a complex aircraft I would at some point be 100% guaranteed of an OOM.

At that time the original UTX-USA and the same complex aircraft created no issues at all. Then when they upgraded UTX-USA (V2 or V3?) to do something fancy that UTX-Europe was doing, I started getting the OOMs over the US also.

So far the aircraft that I can bet on getting an OOM when running UTX scenery are the CoolSky MD-80, CS C-130X and now the A2A B377.

I was given the advice early on about the boot/ini switch trick, but that doesn't work for me. I think it's because I usually have several things open and running while I'm flying. To me it looks like the boot.ini switch throws so much memory resource in FSX's direction that it causes other problems and CTDs when I try to do anything but just fly.

As a good example... I just did a complete reformat of my system and have a super clean well layered version of FSX/Accelleration installed at the moment. I have almost every scenery and custom add-on program I have for FSX installed and running. The only thing not installed at the moment is UTX. I've spent the last few months flying the B377 everyday for many hours all over the US and Europe and haven't had a single OOM.

So on my end... No UTX + B377,MD-80 or C-130 = No OOM.

No other aircraft I have in combo with the UTXs causes the OOM problem.

Sean Doran
December 2nd, 2008, 12:59
No sorry I did not mean UTx but Ultimate Traffic.

djscoo
December 2nd, 2008, 13:02
Sean

I was staying out of this thread because you guys were making some really interesting discoveries and points of info.

Then you mentioned UT. I'm assuming your talking UTX and if so, this one program is always 1/2 of the equation of every OOM message that I get.

It started out that anytime I tried to run UTX-Europe and a complex aircraft I would at some point be 100% guaranteed of an OOM.

At that time the original UTX-USA and the same complex aircraft created no issues at all. Then when they upgraded UTX-USA (V2 or V3?) to do something fancy that UTX-Europe was doing, I started getting the OOMs over the US also.

So far the aircraft that I can bet on getting an OOM when running UTX scenery are the CoolSky MD-80, CS C-130X and now the A2A B377.

I was given the advice early on about the boot/ini switch trick, but that doesn't work for me. I think it's because I usually have several things open and running while I'm flying. To me it looks like the boot.ini switch throws so much memory resource in FSX's direction that it causes other problems and CTDs when I try to do anything but just fly.

As a good example... I just did a complete reformat of my system and have a super clean well layered version of FSX/Accelleration installed at the moment. I have almost every scenery and custom add-on program I have for FSX installed and running. The only thing not installed at the moment is UTX. I've spent the last few months flying the B377 everyday for many hours all over the US and Europe and haven't had a single OOM.

So on my end... No UTX + B377,MD-80 or C-130 = No OOM.

No other aircraft I have in combo with the UTXs causes the OOM problem.
I think they are talking about the other UTX, Ultimate Traffic. Darn you similarly-named products!

Sean Doran
December 2nd, 2008, 13:07
The true test will be tonight when I get this baby on a 13 hour journey we will she how she responds.:ernae:

Bjoern
December 2nd, 2008, 13:13
Sean, you could try this:

Enter this into the "Run" dialogue (Start -> "Run" -> Right click "Run as Administrator"):
bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 3072

This does effectively allocate a bit more space of the Ram for programs.

I've used a similar switch (/3GB /userva=2560 in the boot.ini) on XP32 and it cured any OOMs, even with "only" 2GB Ram.
However, I can't say how it may work out on Vista 32 and with 4Gb Ram.

Best would be searching the internet for more info about Vista32 and 4Gb in the combination with the userva tweak.

Butcherbird17
December 2nd, 2008, 13:23
Bjoern, There is no boot.ini in vista, so the switch will not work. As you posted it will work in XP.

Joe

Bjoern
December 2nd, 2008, 13:36
Bjoern, There is no boot.ini in vista, so the switch will not work. As you posted it will work in XP.

You didn't read my post thoroughly. ;)

I never said that the boot.ini tweak will also work in Vista; that's why I posted the bcdedit line.

Sean Doran
December 2nd, 2008, 13:44
It might be you already have the fix installed. You can check to see if you have the fix by going into Windows update and checking the update log and look for the KB number with the one at the MS site.

Joe

I dont have it installed, Ime looking for Update for Windows Vista (KB940105) I cant get it from MS for some reason they've jacked the security so high I cant get anything I cant validate with either option they have because their instructions dont work in my IE7 and it wont work in Firefox.

Bjoern
December 2nd, 2008, 13:57
And this?
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a156e265-40ff-468e-bba2-3d1e1929c416&DisplayLang=en

bkeske
December 2nd, 2008, 14:21
I believe the bottom line is Sean's memory is being eaten up by a program/file.

I have a much 'lesser' system (Core 2 duo 6700) and run FSX with ASX, XGraphics, FEX, GEX, Ultimate Terrain, etc etc etc, use the 3GB switch with 4GB in XP, and have not seen a momory issue for many many months.

Somehting else is causing the memory drain. Perhaps it is within his traffic program.

Bjoern
December 2nd, 2008, 14:28
Regarding my initial problem, this could be the case indeed, but I doubt Sean is actively modifying traffic .bgl files.

The userva tweak *could* be the remedy for him.

- Edit: It has nothing to do with file sizes though. My FSX booted up fine with my 212 Mbytes big GA traffic file activated. The bugged file, the remainder of Adobe's Traffic Pack traffic file was "only" 22 Mbytes big.

I would one after one reactivate the add-ons to see what is actually causing the error. If it actually is the Ultimate Traffic traffic.bgl I would try to recompile it with the UT configuration program. Or decompile it and compile it by hand with TTools.

Sean Doran
December 2nd, 2008, 16:12
Somehting else is causing the memory drain. Perhaps it is within his traffic program.

This did free up a lot of memory when I uninstalled it. I have not modified any traffic files on my own.:ernae:

Appreciate all the help:ernae:

Bjoern
December 2nd, 2008, 16:48
I have not modified any traffic files on my own.:ernae:

Okay, this leaves the userva tweak as your only shot for curing the OOM issue.

It's up to you if you want to do it or not though.

Sean Doran
December 2nd, 2008, 18:13
Okay, this leaves the userva tweak as your only shot for curing the OOM issue.

It's up to you if you want to do it or not though.

I'me not sure i understand how to do this in all the technical jargon they use.

Enter this into the "Run" dialogue (Start -> "Run" -> Right click "Run as Administrator"):
bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 3072

I type in bcdedit and a screen pops up and then goes away just as fast.

Sean Doran
December 2nd, 2008, 18:18
I clicked start typed in run, and entered bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 3072

is that all there is to it?:ernae:

Bjoern
December 3rd, 2008, 07:15
I clicked start typed in run, and entered bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 3072

is that all there is to it?:ernae:
Yes!

If you run into problems, try smaller values. Go down in increments of 64.

Hope that this solved your problem.

Sean Doran
December 3rd, 2008, 09:26
So far so good no issues, It just amazes me how Ultimate Traffic can use up 35% of my physical memory. Amazing:banghead:

Sean Doran
December 3rd, 2008, 09:51
Now I just lock up..and my memory stays low. I think Ime going to install FS9 now

bkeske
December 3rd, 2008, 10:06
Sean, why don't you simply reduce the value, as Bjoen has suggested. 3072 may be to high for you.

Sean Doran
December 3rd, 2008, 10:11
its just odd I can fly 3600 miles and when I get close to where Ime going it locks up. This is not a new issue it happened before also.

bkeske
December 3rd, 2008, 10:37
Custom scenery?

n4gix
December 3rd, 2008, 11:01
Now I just lock up..and my memory stays low. I think Ime going to install FS9 now

There's a good reason why Phil Taylor recommended using this as a starting point:

bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2560

This adds just enough additional VAS allocation to FSX without starving VAS for other stuff (like the operating system and its support system)... :icon_lol:

Sean Doran
December 3rd, 2008, 14:48
I dropped it down well see what happens, as for custom scenery Ive got all some here and there.:ernae:

Sean Doran
December 3rd, 2008, 16:54
So far so good no lockup on approach.:ernae:
Just did an 8 HR flight no issues.

bkeske
December 3rd, 2008, 17:00
Good to hear Sean....welcome back to FSX :wiggle:

Sean Doran
December 3rd, 2008, 17:12
cant thank everyone enough for all the help, I do appreciate it fellas.:ernae:

harleyman
December 3rd, 2008, 17:32
The more I read the more I want FS11.......:banghead:

This just gets out of hand after a while.....

So glad to hear you are back and going again.......

Sean Doran
December 3rd, 2008, 17:38
I'me just wondering if I should try install ultimate traffic again. and See how she acts now.

harleyman
December 3rd, 2008, 17:50
Might not hurt...I bought MyTrafficX because there was something about Ultimate Traffic and FSX that i was not cragy about..But I don't remember now...

Sorry...I'm no help at all....:isadizzy:

Sean Doran
December 3rd, 2008, 18:46
This post has some good information, maybe it can be put in the fsX help area.

Bjoern
December 4th, 2008, 04:58
Good to hear, Sean.

If FSX and Ultimate Traffic run flawlessly now, you may have a vicory cigar and a bottle of Ireland's finest whiskey. :costumes: