PDA

View Full Version : Oops

spotlope
February 9th, 2011, 19:07
My wife forwarded this sad seaplane tale from the PNW to me just now. My favorite part? The plane belonged to a friend of his who was out of town at the time. Try explaining this...

http://wilsonville.katu.com/news/news/pilot-survives-after-floatplane-flips-over-willamette-river/438386

OBIO
February 9th, 2011, 21:19
That's the thing about those Amphibs. The wheels go down for landing on land, not on water. Put em down for a water landing and the plane goes flippity flippity flop! Have seen a few videos of amphibs doing cartwheels after touching down on water with the gear down. Too bad we can't model that into our sim amphibs.

OBIO

PeteHam
February 9th, 2011, 21:21
Bugga :redf:

Pete.

SADT
February 9th, 2011, 22:21
Anyone know what type of Floater that was?

Willy
February 9th, 2011, 22:55
A wet one?

I'll grab me coat...

wombat666
February 10th, 2011, 02:05
Living proof that flying inverted under water is a health hazard.
:173go1:

stansdds
February 10th, 2011, 02:18
Glad the pilot is ok, bet his friend will never again let him borrow his airplane.

BPbobafett1982
February 10th, 2011, 02:27
Looking at the photos in the article. The aircraft has a narrow fuselage with a stabilator, I can't think of any aircraft at the moment that would fit that description. The scale between the rescue workers and the floats make it appear to be a small aircraft (ex: J-3 in size).

Edit: Maybe a Zenith CH 7XX kitplane

boxcar
February 11th, 2011, 09:32
That's the thing about those Amphibs. The wheels go down for landing on land, not on water. Put em down for a water landing and the plane goes flippity flippity flop! ...

Yeah, caught that on the tube the other evening while visiting my sis in Portland.
Had told her at once, "Well, there you go: he had his wheels down for a water landing, a real no-no!".
Lucky he didn't get hurt more seriously... or worse.

Love my sister dearly. She tolerates my enthusiasm for flight patiently & wonderfully. :-)

Railrunner130
February 11th, 2011, 16:52
http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=89999