PDA

View Full Version : Best Jet Display Ever!

stuartcox
February 9th, 2011, 14:19
How many G's can a man take?
This is just fascinating...
Twice the size of F-22's & Eurofighters - forget them! The Russians have the upper hand!
Should this have posted before, then I appologize'
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1994695142386399860#!
'Russia now has #1 fighter plane in the world... SU-30- Vectored Thrust with Canards. As you watch this airplane, look at the canards moving along side of, and just below the canopy rail. The "canards" are the small wings forward of the main wings. The smoke and contrails provide a sense of the actual flight path, sometimes in reverse direction. This video is of an in-flight demonstration flown by the Russian's-30MK fighter aircraft. You will not believe what you are about to see. The fighter can stall from high speed, stopping forward motion in seconds. (full stall). Then it demonstrates an ability to descend tail first without causing a compressor stall. It can also recover from a flat spin in less than a minute.
These maneuver capabilities don't exist in any other aircraft in the world today....'

Kiwikat
February 9th, 2011, 14:22
in before the lock!

(these threads never, ever end well)

stuartcox
February 9th, 2011, 15:11
Why?...
Because it's Russian?
Who has ever seen such a display before?
I don't care where it comes from, I just thought it could be worth sharing...:-)
It's so impressive!
P.S: The commentary is not mine, it was attached to the video!

Bjoern
February 9th, 2011, 15:16
I've seen the MiG-29OVT in action. Thrust vectoring is a nice thing.

rayrey10
February 9th, 2011, 15:36
Cool vid. Thanks for sharing. Now, is that a new plane? For some reason I think I have seen that video before.

I could not fly that thing (not that I am a pilot), but I would have lost my lunch shortly after take off.

deathfromafar
February 9th, 2011, 16:19
It's dated somewhat. I saw the SU-37 going the same thing back in 1997 with Yevgeni Frolov flying it. The US was test bedding the same technology in the F-16 MATV back then & the F-15B STOL/MTD earlier in 1988.

It's a great "Airshow Display" for sure but in combat @ nominal fuel weight and config with the high drag of a loadout of R-27's, R-77's, & R-73's, such maneuverability will be severely limited without a doubt. Other factors like asymmetric loadings at high alpha are a recipe for disaster. At higher altitude/density, that gets much worse(more prone to mishandling). The Russians, Indian's and now PLA have lost a number of these TV Sukhois in high AoA departure accidents. It's not an easy learning curve even for an experienced fighter pilot. That's not to mention how much extra maintenance hours/cost have to go into these jets(including the F-22). It's really a huge waste of money & time(development costs, training costs, and maintenance costs) when it is far more effective to stick to advanced aerodynamics & FBW systems and FCS software, STEALTH, Advanced Sensor capability, and Advanced BVR & IRTV Air to Air Weapons which already negate TVM aircraft capability(Missiles like the AIM-9X & Python 5 with Full Sphere TVM capability). These Sukhois are previous generation and have the RCS of a barn door which doesn't stand much of a chance against 4.5 & 5th Gen Fighters & Weapons. The T-50 and J-20 are something to watch & are more on track than anything else. The difference is going to be apparent in not only in the purity of Stealth/RCS, but also in what Sensor and Weapon capability advantages are present within a particular design. Time & money will bear out the answer on that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWG2PkwKiaQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiinNwfNi1w&feature=fvw

traindriver98
February 10th, 2011, 11:32
I've heard that alot depends on the skill of the pilot. Would a pilot with less experience and skill be able to do the same thing?

CG_1976
February 10th, 2011, 13:06
It all boils down to the Pilots experience and Aircraft. As for Russain Military Aircraft I admire them for there rugged ability to handle harsh WX and environments.

Matt Wynn
February 10th, 2011, 14:10
I've seen the MiG-29OVT in action. Thrust vectoring is a nice thing.

won the best display at RIAT 2006 the OVT did, it's really stunning to watch, although the thing did drag it's butt on landing on one of the days :icon_lol:

the Sukhois really are great aircraft, most if not all are rough field-able, stand up to the weather and environment... pilot skill has a lot to do with it, wonder who the pilot was... probably Anatoly Kvochur that Sukhoi is Su-37 probably the SU-37/T-10M, regardless that is some nice flying and who says size matters? might be bigger than Raptor, which in turn is bigger than Typhoon but wow can it move, Typhoon is the oddball at the moment without vectored thrust, but that could change in the coming years, theres some research planned for the thing with TV... wow, always breathtaking to watch a sukhoi (Or MiG-29OVT) Display

MenendezDiego
February 11th, 2011, 00:38
you really don't pull that many G's going less than 150 knots, essentially falling out of the sky...

Bjoern
February 11th, 2011, 08:40
won the best display at RIAT 2006 the OVT did

I've seen it at ILA 2006. And yes, it really was the best display on that day.

Even the restored Me262 couldn't hold up. :d

centuryseries
February 12th, 2011, 00:32
I disagree, the best jet display ever has to be this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DTrpe04zJU
Bring back the Mildenhall Airfete!!! :salute:

But then I am very biased.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0z6iwt0YTE

I find the Russain jets to be very entertaining. Sure it was good to see the F-22 at long last, but there's something fascinating about seeing an SU-27 or Mig 29 at an airshow. The Russians are developing the Mig 35 which is basically a Mig 29 with 2 plane thrust vectoring, not just up and down but sideways vectoring too. Something the F-22 doesn't have.